Forcing "casual"?

You'll have to re-think that, since I'll be hiding out in one of those bags. :D

Oh, Rev ... I so wish you would join us. Can't you get assigned chaplaining or something? On a 35-day cruise, you could really present some great teachings! I think the last time I did this cruise in 2006, we had "church" every sea day and all Sundays whether at sea or in port. Well, on this particular cruise there are a heck of a lot of sea days, so come on, Rev, join us!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Oh, Rev ... I so wish you would join us. Can't you get assigned chaplaining or something? On a 35-day cruise, you could really present some great teachings! I think the last time I did this cruise in 2006, we had "church" every sea day and all Sundays whether at sea or in port. Well, on this particular cruise there are a heck of a lot of sea days, so come on, Rev, join us!

Oh, Rita ... I would LOVE to. However, there are literally thousands of clergy who are "in line" to serve a cruise, and hence we can only get one "tour of duty" a year, at best. Perhaps in 2012? 2011 I'm doing South America/Antarctica again.

I'm due my 20th Anniversary of Ordination Sabbatical leave anytime after 2011 ... so ... I can start planning a 30 or so day cruise for the Fall of 2011 or later, and January 2012 would be PERFECT. We'll see.

We just booked our 10/25 trip on the Oosterdam to the Mexican Riveria and arranged our flights to San Diego as well. Not sure how many airlines have changed the rates for an extra bag, but Alaska Air is charging $50 for an extra bag, not the $25 that many folks are quoting.

Guess we will learn to be great packers this time around.

Oh, Rita ... I would LOVE to. However, there are literally thousands of clergy who are "in line" to serve a cruise, and hence we can only get one "tour of duty" a year, at best. Perhaps in 2012? 2011 I'm doing South America/Antarctica again.

I'm due my 20th Anniversary of Ordination Sabbatical leave anytime after 2011 ... so ... I can start planning a 30 or so day cruise for the Fall of 2011 or later, and January 2012 would be PERFECT. We'll see.

Hope you get to go on Prinsendam - the captain gets up close and personal with Antarctica.

DH wears a suit and tie every day to work. That is no issue for him.

It's his 'uniform' for his office/profession.

Same here.

As I explained to friends who joined me on an Alaska cruise a few years ago:

"A Suit is just a pair of pants and a jacket that match - It won't kill you to wear one."

And amazingly enough, they enjoyed dressing in their tuxes for formal nights.

As for myself, I don't mind carrying the extra luggage and will always pay the excess charges to bring my tuxes, dinner jackets and blazers with me -

- It means that that I'm going someplace special.

And when Formal night dies on HAL, I'll just go to Cunard.

:( But I don't want to leave HAL. We have found our 'home' and will hang in. I've learned to be more flexible and more accepting of things I wouldn't do,I don't like and am disappointed about. I haven't gotten to the point of " you can't beat 'em, join 'em" but I have learned to not care quite as much.....within limits. The problem with that is the limits keep changing.

Then let's plan something, somewhere for then. Doesn't have to be Hawaii/South Pacific ... just something fun we can do together.

I so want to sail with you.

Blue skies ...

--rita

So far I haven't run into anyone who even notices, let alone cares, what I wear. If you have a favorite dress or two, go with those- after all, DH gets away with wearing the same outfit each formal night, and we only like to take the luggage we can handle ourselves. For a recent 39 day cruise we traveled with two suitcases and two carryons. Usually we only have the two suitcases and one carryon between us for shorter cruises.

LOL ... now that I have the iPOD (instead of having to carry around all those CDs that I normally have to, I just might manage with two checked bags and a laptop as my carry-on (as well as large pocketbook) on this next 40-day sailing (35 on HAL and 4 on Carnival).

In fact, my goal is to have some empty room (that books occupied on the way to the cruise) so that I can bring a few things home on the return leg.

Blue skies ...

--rita

LOL ... now that I have the iPOD (instead of having to carry around all those CDs that I normally have to, I just might manage with two checked bags and a laptop as my carry-on (as well as large pocketbook) on this next 40-day sailing (35 on HAL and 4 on Carnival).

Arent' they great?

I just wish that there was a way to plug them into the TV to get music playing in the room (while I'm taking a bath) :)

Arent' they great?

I just wish that there was a way to plug them into the TV to get music playing in the room (while I'm taking a bath) :)

Not only can you play your music through the TV that way, but you can play videos -- if you have them -- from your video iPod through the TV. Bring a simple RCA terminated cable which has the iPod connector on the other side. Works well. You can get them at the Apple Store or at most major big-box electronic appliance stores. You can also get them online at the online Apple Store.

Hope you get to go on Prinsendam - the captain gets up close and personal with Antarctica.

I would LOVE to do Antarctica on the Prinsendam ... those cruises tend to be super long, though and that can be difficult.

Then let's plan something, somewhere for then. Doesn't have to be Hawaii/South Pacific ... just something fun we can do together.

I so want to sail with you.

If you don't have anything planned (already) for January 2011, think about South-America Antarctica. :D

Not only can you play your music through the TV that way, but you can play videos -- if you have them -- from your video iPod through the TV. Bring a simple RCA terminated cable which has the iPod connector on the other side. Works well. You can get them at the Apple Store or at most major big-box electronic appliance stores. You can also get them online at the online Apple Store.

I have one, but couldn't figure out where to plug it in when I was aboard Oosterdam last - Perhaps you can show me this time?

I have one, but couldn't figure out where to plug it in when I was aboard Oosterdam last - Perhaps you can show me this time?

Yeah, I was planning on bringing a portable docking station with me, but the tv would work much better.

My iPOD is 80 GB and it's designed to be used for video or audio, but I only load up audio files on it ... both music and teachings. I'd love to avoid having to not just buy, but lug along a docking station, so I'd appreciate a bit of edification as to how to do this as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Arent' they great?

Dude, you take a bath in your room................dude!:eek:

If you don't have anything planned (already) for January 2011, think about South-America Antarctica. :D

Boy, my DW thinks I am super organized for having conceptual travel plans through Aug 2010. In fact I think I am hyper organized because we have vacation plans through Aug 2010. But January 2011????

My excuse is I am retired. From the other side of the aisle from Copper 10-8.

Boy, my DW thinks I am super organized for having conceptual travel plans through Aug 2010. In fact I think I am hyper organized because we have vacation plans through Aug 2010. But January 2011????

My excuse is I am retired. From the other side of the aisle from Copper 10-8.

What aisle is that, Bruce?;) in the courtroom?:eek:

No, my Code 3 vehicle, painted red, weights about 35K pounds. And we speak "clear text", not 10 codes.

Oh, a hose dragger!;) Those guys who lay in recliners watching soap operas on big screen televisions in the firehouse, making communal dinners every night and having slumber parties in the other room until the bell sounds and the lights go on!

Just kidding!;) Everybody loves firefighters! Got some good friends working over there keeping us safe!

Enjoy your well-earned retirment, Bruce! Happy Cruisin':)

There are RCA ports on the back of the flat screens. :)

Fire and Ice ain't my thing. :(

What about the North Atlantic Round Trip from Boston to Europe and back? It's the northern route, hence promises to be a little cold, but not icebergs. :D

Yeah, I was planning on bringing a portable docking station with me, but the tv would work much better.

My iPOD is 80 GB and it's designed to be used for video or audio, but I only load up audio files on it ... both music and teachings. I'd love to avoid having to not just buy, but lug along a docking station, so I'd appreciate a bit of edification as to how to do this as well.

You mean a portable speakers set that you can use to play music and charge an iPod? They are wonderful and very convenient for charging and well as playing music. The TV won't charge the iPod.

I have to project that far into the future due to my ministry scheduling requirements. My teaching duties as well as my pastoral duties require that kind of long-range planning for lengthy cruises (like 30 days). For a short 7 or 10 day cruise, I don't have to plan that far in advance. But I have to for the long cruises.

Archived