Forcing "casual"?

Oh, a hose dragger!;) Those guys who lay in recliners watching soap operas on big screen televisions in the firehouse, making communal dinners every night and having slumber parties in the other room until the bell sounds and the lights go on!

Just kidding!;) Everybody loves firefighters! Got some good friends working over there keeping us safe!

Enjoy your well-earned retirment, Bruce! Happy Cruisin':)

That's us. You forgot card players! And, as I always mention when I teach at the Police Academy (fire related stuff and Haz Mat, where my motto is- I don't solve your crimes, don't put out my fires!), the place where you want to hang when there is a Super Bowl or World Series game on the HD, Big screen TV.;)

And thanks for the wishes. After 34 years, retirement has been awesome for the last 7 months. Hope you get there healthy and soon! Then you can cruise even more!:D

That's us. You forgot card players! And, as I always mention when I teach at the Police Academy (fire related stuff and Haz Mat, where my motto is- I don't solve your crimes, don't put out my fires!), the place where you want to hang when there is a Super Bowl or Worlds Series game on the HD, Big screen TV.;)

And thanks for the wishes. After 34 years, retirement has been awesome for the last 7 months. Hope you get there healthy and soon! Then you can cruise even more!:D

I've done that over here at station #1/HQ!! :) Good place to write your reports also and have a cup of coffee!

I don't have that long to go (28 right now) and I'll be joining you! (Stayed in Petaluma once for a week-long school in Santa Rosa - Nice area to live!)

What about the North Atlantic Round Trip from Boston to Europe and back? It's the northern route, hence promises to be a little cold, but not icebergs. :D

You could have a few icebergs on that cruise, depending on the itinerary that year, and the timing of the cruise.

There's icebergs in Prins Cristian Sound, Qaqortoq, and there may be in Newfoundland. But they're really not very big. ;)

I don't have that long to go (28 right now) and I'll be joining you! (Stayed in Petaluma once for a week-long school in Santa Rosa - Nice area to live!)

28 years in the job? Then you are very close:D :D :D !!!

You probably did something at the Public Safety Department at Santa Rosa JC. Been on the Fire and Police Faculty there for 20 years now. Mostly Haz mat and WMD stuff, but, again basic fire extinguisher training, other related stuff for the basic POST Academy.

You could have a few icebergs on that cruise, depending on the itinerary that year, and the timing of the cruise.

There's icebergs in Prins Cristian Sound, Qaqortoq, and there may be in Newfoundland. But they're really not very big. ;)

True ... but they're nothing like Antarctica! :D

Anyone who can't pack for a 2-week cruise in one suitcase just isn't trying; I've done it for five. :rolleyes: And that's to cooler climates where I needed sweatshirts and a wind-breaker.

I will admit that I've recently replaced the heavy beaded tops with more lightweight fabrics, but saying that dressing for formal nights is difficult with the baggage restrictions is a red herring. After all, you still have to wear something at night.

Having my dress a little longer adds ounces to the baggage weight, and takes up very few cubic centimeters of extra roo:)

Men should be begging for more formal nights. Then they would have to take only one tux/suit and a few shirts. That's even fewer clothes than different smart casual every night! :D

\

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that formal nights are probably on the near term 'hit list'. Smoking on vernadas is next after that IMO We'll wear our formal clothes for as long as at least 35% of the guests are doing so. When it drops below approximately that, we will start leaving the tuxedo /gowns at home.

There....I've gone and combined the two most controversial subjects in one post. :eek:

We prefer being a leader rather than a follower. Keep setting an example of following the host's suggested dress.

The airlines have created the game... so let's play by their rules.

Buy a larger suitcase and be sure to pack toothpaste, sun tan lotions, gels and cases of coke in the "checked" bag.

Walk on board the aircraft with a smaller bag that goes into the overhead bin.

The airplane cabins will be more crowded and will take longer to load and unload and connecting passengers will get upset that they can't get off. ...But remember, the airlines wrote the rules!

We prefer being a leader rather than a follower. Keep setting an example of following the host's suggested dress.

In theory, great.

In practicality and reality........ not. No longer high on my priority list and not worth the 'fight'. It is clear the direction such "host's suggestioned dress" is going. IMO

We've been around and around on this one, Richard. THe consensus was that those who are looking to avoid formalwear will use this as an excuse, those who aren't will pay the price. After all, the $25/bag is less than a bottle of wine, right?

I think it is unfortunate that when someone opens up a new thread to request feedback on any topic, whether it is "new" or "old," that someone else steps in and attempts to close down discussion on the topic by stating "we've been around and around on this one" or a similar statement.

Some of us are rather new to this board and we have not been "around and around" on many subjects at all, and would like to voice our opinion, too, and if our opinion differs (I'm not sure yet how I feel about this topic, but tend to think the original poster has made valid points), would appreciate stating our opinion, too.

The person mentioned an unexpected inter-European flight that cost ten times more than the $25/bag you quoted in your reply. Re-routings occur often in the current travel situation where airlines are canceling flights and requiring re-routing through hub airports, for example. Speaking for myself, I would not consider an additional $250 fee to transport clothing to be a nominal cost, but rather one that was substantial.

Dressing in an elegant manner can either be casual or

formal. Most Americans seem to believe that any casual

dress code is a step down. But somehow the French, Italians and other Europeans have mastered the art of true

elegant casual. Perhaps by forcing the issue because of airline restrictions, more folks will find ways to really "dress up" without going formal. In fact, some of the formal outfits I have seen on ships were a far cry from elegant.

The person mentioned an unexpected inter-European flight that cost ten times more than the $25/bag you quoted in your reply. Re-routings occur often in the current travel situation where airlines are canceling flights and requiring re-routing through hub airports, for example. Speaking for myself, I would not consider an additional $250 fee to transport clothing to be a nominal cost, but rather one that was substantial.

You make several excellent points, including this last one. Of course, the booking that the poster mentioned was made by the cruise line for the person. In a situation where the airline reschedules someone through a different airport or hub, that won't nominally change the rules one is flying under. This is particularly so when it's the airline making the changes. Nevertheless, if something happens which changes the flight situation, and a charge is that much ... well ... while not a nice thought, one could always just abandon one's bag. I guess it depends upon how important the stuff in your second bag is.

I gathered that the arrangements that the cruise line made for the poster resulted in them having to pay extra bag charges, over-size charges, and extra weight charges. It wasn't one charge that was so much, but several charges compounded together. That may be more of an extreme example of what might happen.

Dressing in an elegant manner can either be casual or

formal. Most Americans seem to believe that any casual

dress code is a step down. But somehow the French, Italians and other Europeans have mastered the art of true

elegant casual. Perhaps by forcing the issue because of airline restrictions, more folks will find ways to really "dress up" without going formal. In fact, some of the formal outfits I have seen on ships were a far cry from elegant.

In general, that's because most of what we see being passed off as "Smart Casual" is really more reflective of sloppy indolence. I've seen people do really elegant "Smart Casual" ... and, in general, it takes as much or more clothing to do it and do it "right" than just dressing Formal would demand.

Just how casual are the European cruises? Do some still dress up?

Some, perhaps many, of us do.

There's "daytime casual" and there's "nightime casual". And there's a world of difference between the two. What most people are seen wearing throughout the day would never be considered "smart casual". Never.

FORT WORTH, Texas - American Airlines will start charging $15 for the first checked bag, cut domestic flights and lay off workers as it grapples with record-high fuel prices.

But rival Delta doesn't plan to match American's fee for the first checked bag, a spokeswoman said.

American, the nation's largest carrier, said Wednesday the fee for the first checked bag starts June 15 and that it would raise other fees for services ranging from reservation help to oversized bags. The other fees will mostly range from $5 to $50 per service, the airline said.

Last month American announced it would join other carriers in charging $25 for second bags checked for some passengers, but it wasn't immediately clear how Wednesday's announcement would affect that.

And guess who is one of Holland's favorite carriers?

At this rate maybe the NUDE charters on Holland America will be the only way to go for those of us who resent the airlines nickel and dime strategy. Who needs luggage?

And it would serve the perennial "formal dress issue" that seems to upset the old timers on Cruise Critic when it comes up. All you'd need for "formal" would be a black bow tie and a tiara!

Hmmm.

Please talk to my wife for me....

The average 7 day cruise takes her 12-15 suitcases. On our 22 day transition cruise had to ship most of clothes back from San Diego as it was too many to fly with.

I am serious....

Jim (without Ruth)

76790188_001PackingLight.jpg.5c24764ebe8a1a72f6b0dccb5ef5b494.jpg

1530900945_002TobeLoaded.jpg.37ba102d9bfc219b02436a87a6729b9a.jpg

351749793_013ASuitcases.jpg.01a7b375bbff67270062fbb914255860.jpg

The average 7 day cruise takes her 12-15 suitcases. On our 22 day transition cruise had to ship most of clothes back from San Diego as it was too many to fly with.

I am serious....

Jim (without Ruth)

Holy moly, Jim:eek: - What has she got in there besides the kitchen sink?

I am serious....

Jim (without Ruth)

Mama Mia!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Enlarge the middle picture and you will note the writting on one of the boxes says "KITCHEN SINK". I could not resist the marking. The box was full of slippers.

Attached are a few pictures from inside the room of how we store the slippers. Everything else fits under the bed. We take a lot of boxes to Guatamala (a charity down there) and the crew moves them out of the room and stores them until we get to the port. On one trip had 27 boxes and suitcases. Actually had them tied to the roof of the SUV while driving to the port...

Since I have retired from the military I have sworn that I would never again practice to be miserable and when we travel we are comfortable. I only have to move the suitcases to the SUV and then back into the house and some of the neighbors help me do that so they can chuckle about how much we pack.

Enjoy the pictures...

Ruth & Jim

258091464_035DSlipperStorage.jpg.b56981c79e51ee39d5fed5b04f92ad17.jpg

517534241_035SlipperStorage.jpg.cb51a034dcea5df142ab156d29bdd37a.jpg

859678409_035CSlipperStorage.jpg.af6eaa14f9d3979e6a6c2839134279c4.jpg

840448071_036CabinDoor.jpg.3962c96689704f9b11cfa66f476e42d8.jpg

Archived