Curtain between mini-suite sofa and bed area?

Sandy R

I heard somewhere (I think on the cc board) that a curtain can be rigged between the mini-suite sofa area and the queen bed area. Was I dreaming or have you heard of this? If DD brings a tension rod and light-weight cotton curtain (we won't be flying), can she rig something herself, to give them some privacy from their 3 year old, who will be sleeping on the sofa bed?

Not sure what ship you are referring to. The only time the curtain went all the way across was in a suite.:( I do not believe a tension rod would reach across the room (too much distance).

Janet

I seem to remember someone asking a similar question and the answering was, yes, all you had to do was ask the steward and he would rig something for you, complete with rod and curtain. I would give Princess or your TA a call and ask.

Thanks for all the replies. DD will ask the steward if a make-shift curtain can be done. If that doesn't work, Cruzman... you've hit on a great idea. I always bring duct tape (once, one of our luggage wheels came off during a flight and DH fashioned a wheel out of duct tap. It worked like a charm!) And, DD can ask for an extra twin sheet.

Toto... you gave me a chuckle to start off my Sunday! Okay, as a grandmother, maybe I went a bit overboard (sorry for the pun). The fact is, I haven't even mentioned this to my DD yet. She might think it's a terrible idea. Actually, I have to say the chances of us agreeing on a make-shift curtain, is about 50/50! I definitely won't mention Beverly Hillbillies to her!

Unfortunately, it seems that you are getting a lot of inaccurate responses to your post. I was in a Princess mini-suite on the Ocean Princess that has a curtain in place to close off the sleeping area from the sitting area (thus no need for rigging using duct tape, etc.) That particular ship was transferred to P&O and was renamed the Oceana in 2002. But it was a Sun Class ship and fortunately, Princess has 3 others that they still operate (i.e., the Sun, Dawn, and Sea). If one wants to find out more about how these mini-suites are arranged, head over to the Princess website.

Unfortunately, it seems that you are getting a lot of inaccurate responses to your post. I was in a Princess mini-suite on the Ocean Princess that has a curtain in place to close off the sleeping area from the sitting area (thus no need for duct tape, etc.) That particular ship was transferred to P&O and was renamed the Oceana in 2002. But it was a Sun Class ship and fortunately, Princess has 3 others that they still operate (i.e., the Sun, Dawn, and Sea). If one want to find out more about how these mini-suites are arranged, head over to the Princess website.

The mini suites on the Sun Class ships are arranged more like the full suites on the Grand Class ships. Yes, there is a great curtain to section off the sleeping area from the sitting area on these. But the Grand Class ships have a totally different mini suite layout of one long room not divided. And almost no way to have any type of curtain to section them off.

There is absolutely no comparison between the minis on the Sun Class and the minis on the larger class of ships in the fleet.

This is the layout of the larger ships mini suites:

stateroom_diagram_tp_mini_suite_with_balcony.gif

And the Sun Class ships layout of the mini:

stateroom_diagram_dp_mini_suite_with_balcony.gif

Cacy... I don't think you're ridiculous. I doubt she could operate the sliding glass door, the handle is fairly heavy to lift and sliding the door open takes some strength but still... Okay, I think the chances of DD and I agreeing on a curtain is now down to 20/80! Even if DD thinks it's a great idea, I might talk her out of it! Maybe I won't even mention the curtain to DD. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Sandy, just and idea for DD. Since I am sure the little one will be in bed long before they are they might put the youngster to bed in the regular bed in the evening. That way they can enjoy the balcony, sitting area and also have a TV fs they need one to enjoy while the child is sleeping.

Then just transfer the child to the sofa bed when they are ready to go to bed that evening, and lock the balcony door tight for safety sake. They might even ask the cabin steward if there would be some sort of bar they could use to put in the slat just in case the little tike gets up early and decides to try and open the door while they are sleeping, as a little bit of an added safety feature.

This way, they can still enjoy the area of their mini suite like the sofa and balcony, without disturbing the child.

Just a thought!

• 9 years later...

This is an old thread for sure, but we definitely used black-out curtains to close off the sleeping from the sitting area on the grand-class ships. Photos are from the Crown mini suite. We used inexpensive (like $9.99 per panel) 84"x42" curtains - only needed two panels. Went up and down in about 90 seconds per day...easy! Please use magnets and not duct tape;)

838618275_Curtain1.jpg.c60b9f8681ddb8ef64116ff26edceafb.jpg

366525512_Curtain2.jpg.ddfd4105b4d61a92543fe8fd0c35add6.jpg

1011356522_Curtain3.jpg.bd2aa5deb24a91a884b07e4327098a66.jpg

992455245_Curtain4.jpg.4ba337ec07076b7aa6c83345e476f1a9.jpg

1860256800_Curtain5.jpg.1fa9ae2ffedd578dfef3497ecfb163e1.jpg

I heard somewhere (I think on the cc board) that a curtain can be rigged between the mini-suite sofa area and the queen bed area. Was I dreaming or have you heard of this? If DD brings a tension rod and light-weight cotton curtain (we won't be flying), can she rig something herself, to give them some privacy from their 3 year old, who will be sleeping on the sofa bed?

Just got off royal, curtains in mini suite can be used to close off the sofa.

I saw that thread, too, here on CC. You only need about heavy duty mangets with hooks (found some like this in Home Depot) and a cheap lightweight but opaque shower curtain ... place the magnets up on the ceiling and hang the shower curtain .. bingo. Cheap, lightweight, easy to assemble and take down makeshift privacy curtain. I thought it was pretty ingenious.

Oh, and for those worried about a 3 year old being next to the balcony, the lock on top of the door is way too high up for any youngster to reach.

By the way, I have read on these boards that if you use tape, you will most definitely be asked to remove it as well as paying for any damage that it may have caused. Don't know if that is true or not ... but why even try it if other options are available.

Please use magnets and not duct tape;)

I don't bring magnets. So I would have to use duct tape. (I always have duct tape, twine, flashlights, extension cords, a small tool kit, ...). I've thought about bringing a few supermagnets as part of my standard supplies, but I always worry about possible damage to electronics and magnetized materials.

So if I need to rig up a curtain, I'd have to use duct tape. The cruise line would not like my using screws!!

On our mini suite for the grandchildren and one adult total of four there was no curtain needed

What was needed were pillows on the floor as our 2 1/2 year old grand daughter sleeping in a bed for the first time rolled out of bed, landed on the pillows, never woke up and slept on the floor.

38242155412_71658494e4_z.jpgRolled out of bed and never woke up_3155 by Howard , on Flickr

In our mini we did have a curtain but we were only two

24402925058_f3ff34a11a_z.jpgOur Cabin_2296 by Howard, on Flickr

In the mini suite next door for the grandchildren there was no curtain. Just a pile of clothes.

24402925028_00dfd6e780_z.jpgTheir Cabin _3147 by Howard, on Flickr

Howard