Fuel Surcharge Snapfoo - NOT!

rdrseller

OK, all the other cabins in our group have their fuel surcharge and mine still is not there. SOOOO, I called and asked Carnival where my $70 was and they said that because I changed my fare on 4/1/08, that I no longer eligible for the refund. I said to them, as friendly as I could "OH I DON'T THINK SO!" "I am so sorry, but I have an e-mail from Carnival on 4/4/08, that says I will be getting my $70 and that was after my fare changed." They put me on hold and I waited. Finally they came back and said there was not a supervisor that could approve the credit and was there anyway I could call back tomorrow. Well I happily told them I would be glad to, cause $70 is $70 and a lot of DODs!

I wouldn't fight for it, but I have THEIR e-mail talking me I was still eligible for the refund. Ok, I have vented and now I am ready to call back tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Let us know how it went. Since you have it in writing on the email, you should get it. Several others who changed the cabins, one even paid more to upgrade said they didnt get it and were pretty upset. Cant say I blame them.

Carnival seems to be trying to find ways not to give it back, even if you booked before the Nov 7th date.

OK, all the other cabins in our group have their fuel surcharge and mine still is not there. SOOOO, I called and asked Carnival where my $70 was and they said that because I changed my fare on 4/1/08, that I no longer eligible for the refund. I said to them, as friendly as I could "OH I DON'T THINK SO!" "I am so sorry, but I have an e-mail from Carnival on 4/4/08, that says I will be getting my $70 and that was after my fare changed." They put me on hold and I waited. Finally they came back and said there was not a supervisor that could approve the credit and was there anyway I could call back tomorrow. Well I happily told them I would be glad to, cause $70 is $70 and a lot of DODs!

I wouldn't fight for it, but I have THEIR e-mail talking me I was still eligible for the refund. Ok, I have vented and now I am ready to call back tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Good luck, but you are not entitled to the refund, in spite of the e-mail.

Good luck, but you are not entitled to the refund, in spite of the e-mail.

Why would you say that? It is a directive from them that I am receiving the refund, so how could I not be entitled?

Despite the email you got from Carnival... the left hand who was getting ready to send you the refund may not have been aware that the right hand changed the fare on the 1st of April, and with such a short amount of time within the change of fares and the email you got on April 4..... Hard to say if you will get that refund now.

I do hope you get that refund back and reapply it to those wonderful DOD's while onboard though ! :D

Keep us posted on the outcome of this refund.

Save and copy the e-mail.....if the charge appears on your credit card send it to your bank a contest the charge. Save the e-mail on your computer also.

By the way...did you mean "SNAFU" ?????

"Situation normal all fouled up"......

Despite the email you got from Carnival... the left hand who was getting ready to send you the refund may not have been aware that the right hand changed the fare on the 1st of April, and with such a short amount of time within the change of fares and the email you got on April 4..... Hard to say if you will get that refund now.

I do hope you get that refund back and reapply it to those wonderful DOD's while onboard though ! :D

Keep us posted on the outcome of this refund.

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.... their hands, their problem. They sent it to you in writing and that should be all you need.h

Save and copy the e-mail.....if the charge appears on your credit card send it to your bank a contest the charge. Save the e-mail on your computer also.

By the way...did you mean "SNAFU" ?????

"Situation normal all fouled up"......

Actually I did mean SNAFU, but played on the word as Carnival is playing around with my $70!

Actually I did mean SNAFU, but played on the word as Carnival is playing around with my $70!

Have you talked to someone yet today? Like I mentioned above, others have been denied their refund who made any change whatsoever to their booking. Since you have it in writing that they will give you the refund, at least you have a case that they need to honor what the email says.

Please let us know what a supervisor said today.

We changed our reservations and still received ours. As long as your booking number stayed the same it shouldn't matter.

Several others have the same booking # and were told no and still havent gotten theirs back. The lady I feel the worst for, paid to upgrade to a balcony and they said thats changing the booking, but she still has the same booking #, just got a more expensive cabin .... and paid to upgrade too!! She is the most upset that Iv read.

Hope she reads this post that you got your refund back and uses it to call back and get a supervisor.

It is true that if you changed your reservation in any way, even if you have the same booking number, you will not get the refund. The price on our cabin came down and I was going to change but since I wouldn't be getting the $60 per person refund and had to pay the new surcharge the decrease only came out to about $3 per person so I didn't change it. Now if the price goes down more than $100 per person I might make the change.

Linda

It is true that if you changed your reservation in any way, even if you have the same booking number, you will not get the refund. The price on our cabin came down and I was going to change but since I wouldn't be getting the $60 per person refund and had to pay the new surcharge the decrease only came out to about $3 per person so I didn't change it. Now if the price goes down more than $100 per person I might make the change.

Linda

what if you simply switch cabins?

(without adding additional pax)

After being on the phone with Carnival for 43 minutes and speaking with 5 different people up the chain of command, I AM RECEIVING MY REFUND. The reason that I am getting it is because when I got my price reduction they did not indicate that this would impact the refund, I will receive it.

I am expecting an e-mail from the Director of Conflict Resolution within the next 30 minutes confirming my refund.

DO NOT GIVE UP! If they did not indicate that your modifications would take this away, you should receive your Fuel Supplement Refund.

Good Luck to anyone else that is fighting this battle.

Sorry I am a little confused... Ok lets say the price drops on one of my cruises. If I call in for a price reduction will they consider this a change to my reservation and then turn around and charge me a fuel surcharge fee? I will not be upgrading or moving cabins. But sounds like any change may result in a fuel charge.:confused:

After being on the phone with Carnival for 43 minutes and speaking with 5 different people up the chain of command, I AM RECEIVING MY REFUND. The reason that I am getting it is because when I got my price reduction they did not indicate that this would impact the refund, I will receive it.

I am expecting an e-mail from the Director of Conflict Resolution within the next 30 minutes confirming my refund.

DO NOT GIVE UP! If they did not indicate that your modifications would take this away, you should receive your Fuel Supplement Refund.

Good Luck to anyone else that is fighting this battle.

Well congrats on your persistance.... DOD's for you have been earned ! However the reason you are getting your refund tied in with "Because they did not indicate to you that it would impact the refund" makes no sense at all, simply because how would the res. agent you spoke with when making the changes even have a clue about the refund status when that is an internal accounting issue that he or she really could not know about ? After your lengthy call with Carnival and supervisors, etc... it appears that the email they sent on the 4th did not even come into play with the decision !

Sorry I am a little confused... Ok lets say the price drops on one of my cruises. If I call in for a price reduction will they consider this a change to my reservation and then turn around and charge me a fuel surcharge fee? I will not be upgrading or moving cabins. But sounds like any change may result in a fuel charge.:confused:

That is it in a nutshell. But from what the OP has stated, they must disclose to you at the time you are requesting ANY change that you will lose your FS rebate if you request a change. Of course, you will have to prove that you were not informed.

BTW: I have a cruise booked under the "$5/day for the first two pax" surcharge calculation. I was told if I make a change, I would be switched to the "$7/day for the first two pax and $2/day for the 4th and 5th" deal.

That is it in a nutshell. But from what the OP has stated, they must disclose to you at the time you are requesting ANY change that you will lose your FS rebate if you request a change. Of course, you will have to prove that you were not informed.

BTW: I have a cruise booked under the "$5/day for the first two pax" surcharge calculation. I was told if I make a change, I would be switched to the "$7/day for the first two pax and $2/day for the 4th and 5th" deal.

I dont even think this is true. Some changed their booking before the refund of the original fuel surcharge was announced and then when it came time for a refund, they were denied.

I firmly believe there is no rhyme or reason when it comes to situations like this. We have some people saying they changed their bookings and got their refund and then we have the OP who was (but now isn't) being refused their refund. I think Carnival is all over the board when it comes to this scenerio. I think they are hoping people will just lay down and take it.

I changed my booking TWICE since originally booking back in October so it should be interesting on June 2 when I board the Miracle. I don't want to know if it is there now because I don't want to fight about it before my cruise. If it is not there when I get there, I will not be mad...but you better believe when I get home there will be HELL to pay. I deserve my refund. I upgrade from an interior to a balcony (giving Carnival more money), and later added a person (giving Carnvial more money once again)...It is still the same vacation (and according to Carnival it is too because they still used the same booking number) that I planned back in October (BEFORE the fuel charge announcement).

Well that is just crazy, If the price drops I am not changing ships, dates, cabins or anything just a reduction. But I guess I can see it they are trying to get their fuel money one way or the other I guess if the price drops lower than the fuel charge it may be worth it but, until then I will hold out.

Thanks!

Lonnie

Let us know how it went. Since you have it in writing on the email, you should get it. Several others who changed the cabins, one even paid more to upgrade said they didnt get it and were pretty upset. Cant say I blame them.

Carnival seems to be trying to find ways not to give it back, even if you booked before the Nov 7th date.

I was one of the "others". One cabin was upgraded (nice tax refund), one cabin was changed (we realized it was under the pool). Neither booking numbers changed, BTW, . We were denied the refund. Any alterations to your original booking reset the date. This is Carnival policy as it was read to me by a Carnival supervisor.

I agree with Firefly, Carnival is being very creative with who they give the refund to.

If the poster gets the refund, they are lucky. Carnival may or may not honor the email. I think the poster has a good case, though.

Several others have the same booking # and were told no and still havent gotten theirs back. The lady I feel the worst for, paid to upgrade to a balcony and they said thats changing the booking, but she still has the same booking #, just got a more expensive cabin .... and paid to upgrade too!! She is the most upset that Iv read.

Hope she reads this post that you got your refund back and uses it to call back and get a supervisor.

Ha ha, I think that's me, firefly. I'm the upset lady. Well, I was the upset lady. I'm not so upset anymore. :p I try not to hold on to things, gives u wrinkles.

Archived