Cruising in December

rcarrosq

We've always cruised in the spring but this time we're planning to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary with a cruise out of Galveston on the Carnival Conquest. I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of weather we might have. Can anybody help? :confused:

The ship is visiting Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozomel. Thanks in advance for any replies

We travelled last year Dec 1 on the Liberty and went to many of the same ports as you will be. We had the calmest seas I have ever had and the perfect weather. No rain and warm water to swim and snorkel in made this a great cruise. I would have no hesitation to book in December again and as an added bonus this is a less expensive time to cruise. Enjoy.

We've cruised out of Galveston in January twice. You can stroll the beach in Galveston, but it's too cold to wade in the water. Both times it was chilly and windy on embarkation, but was warm the next morning for the first sea day. After that it was warm at all the ports. It's a nice break from winter. We'll be doing it again on the Conquest December 7th.

Sewut

We did the Princess Grand Dec 2nd 2006 out of Galveston and the weather was just perfect.

Of course we did a April cruise last year and it was so cold out of Galveston. Had that freak snow in Houston the night before. It was in the 40s in april for our sail away party.

Anyone who can predict the weather is doing better than me.

When we took a 4 day on RCCL a couple of years ago and had trouble with the dreaded fog on getting out of Galveston..the ship coming in was late arriving and then the fog rolled in early that night and it was close to midnight before we set sail..once out on the high seas and while we were in Cozumel the weather was beautiful. As the previous poster stated, you never know about Texas weather in the winter..shorts one morning and the evening your in your coat..have a great cruise..Linnie

We've always gone out the last week of November - second week of December and have usually had terrific weather. Depending on where you are going in the Caribbean, you may experience a day of 'unsettled' weather where its overcast/raining but certainly not something bad enough to make me rethink when I'd sail.

We travelled last year Dec 1 on the Liberty and went to many of the same ports as you will be. We had the calmest seas I have ever had and the perfect weather. No rain and warm water to swim and snorkel in made this a great cruise. I would have no hesitation to book in December again and as an added bonus this is a less expensive time to cruise. Enjoy.

Hi ballinafad. Long time no hear.

I was on the Liberty with ballinafad and I agree with her 100%.

Okay, not to be a downer - but I will tell you how it's been the last 3 Decembers -

Dec 12-18, 2005 - Jacksonville to Key West and Bahamas - smooth seas, warm days, chilly evenings

Dec 18-23, 2006 - Mobile to Cozumel and Calica/Playa del Carmen - cool leaving Mobile, but definitely warm enough in Cozumel to play in the water. Seas just a little rough one day - no effect on tendering or docking -

Dec 31, 2007 - Jan 5, 2008 - Mobile to Cozumel and Calica/Playa del Carmen - Worst weather we've ever had - DS and friend had front cabin on ship and it was like a roller coaster. Friend very sick, but still wants to go this year. Cozumel cancelled because too dangerous to tender. Many shore excursions cancelled in Calica - we took a cab to Playa del Carmen and walked around and had lunch - very rough seas at the ferry dock.

Guest scfjjb

We have cruised out of Galveston in December, January & February. Leaving Galveston it has been cool (and rainy twice). First sea day is generally warmer and then weather has been great for the rest of the cruise.

We've always cruised in the spring but this time we're planning to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary with a cruise out of Galveston on the Carnival Conquest. I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of weather we might have. Can anybody help? :confused:

The ship is visiting Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozomel. Thanks in advance for any replies

We were on the Conquest last Dec 9. We spent Sunday night in port due to fog and didn't leave until Monday. This was after waiting until after 5 pm Sunday to get on the ship, because it was late coming in because of the fog. We missed our Jamaica call because we didn't leave Galveston in time, then missed Grand Cayman because tropical storm Olga was there. Then, upon our return, we were several hours late coming back into Galveston because of high winds.

Hopefully, this doesn't happen too often.

So glad to hear that sailing was calm and wonderful (the way all cruises should be :)), but you should be very grateful that you weren't just beginning your Carnival Liberty cruise on the day you left the ship. That next group definitely had a different experience, with that unseasonal tropical storm that caused changes in itineraries for several ships.

We usually cruise in December (Christmas). We did your exact itinerary on the Freedom this past December. Temps were 80-85 every day. Not a cloud to be seen. Of course, weather is unpredictable. Oceans were calm. I wish every cruise was like that one!

Archived