Menus from the 1980s

There’s been a lot of talk about food and menus on RCI lately. Here’s a sampling of menus from the 80s. The ships then were the Song of Norway, Nordic Prince, Sun Viking and Song of America.

Most nights had shrimp cocktail, escargot, juices, etc for appetizers.

Soups were 2 hot and I cold. Many still there today.

Vegetables were always a baked potato and various other choices. There were always 5 choices and they were served separately.

Always had a cheese plate.

Deserts have changed, very few today they had then.

Bread was on the table.

You had the same table for all 3 meals and there were early and late seating for all 3 meals.

Quality was excellent.

Captains Favorite: Appetizers: shrimp cocktail, herring in wine, chicken liver

Soups: 2 hot, 1 cold

Entrees: Nova Scotia Salmon; Florida Frog Legs; Mixed grill(lamb chop, veal liver, pork mignon); turkey and sirloin steak.

Vegetables: Squash, cauliflower, spinach, sweet potatoes and baked potato. (You got your choice of any of these. They were brought to the table separately).

Cheese plate

Desserts: black forest cake, anisette parfait, cherry streusel pie, and ice cream every night.

Farewell Dinner: Appetizers: shrimp cocktail, escargot, Baltic caviar

Soups: always 2 hot, 1 cold.

Entrees: flounder, lobster thermidor, leg of lamb, fried chicken, filet mignon

Vegetables: choice of five

Deserts: cheese cake, caramel custard

Spanish Dinner: Entrees: snapper, pompano, mixed grill, capon and prime rib

Desserts: swan chantilly with ice cream, pina colada cake

Dutch Treat Dinner: Entrees: pompano, scallops, calf’s liver, duckling ala orange and filet mignon

Desserts: cherries jubilee flambé, charlotte royal, pie and cake

South American Dinner: Entrees: pargo fillet, roast chicken and lobster newberg, lamb ragout, pork tenderloin and prime rib

Norwegian Dinner: Entrees: sea trout, crab imperial, veal cordon bleu, chicken with lobster and sirloin steak

English Dinner: Entrees: flying fish, sole, lamb, turkey and prime rib.

I would love to see some of those lobster and crab dishes and the caviar! You do know that there is a cheese plate offered every night today, don't you? You can also order sides of any or all vegetables at every meal. Some of the deserts look very familiar, swan chantilly, cheesecake, and recently a pina colada sugar free tart has been added to the menu. It is yummy! Usually there is creme brulee in the WJ at night 2-3 times on a 7 day cruise even tho' it may not ever show up in the dining room!

39august: Yes, I do know about the cheese plate today, still the same. There are quite a few thing the same. The main difference is in the entrees and the vegetable selection. I do know you can special order almost anything and if they have it, you'll get it.

The difference then is the only thing on your plate was the meat/fish/whatever. You then picked what vegetable(s) you wanted of the 5 offered.

The salads are still much the same.

We've been on over 30 cruises in the last 20 years with 26 on RCI. We've seen many changes, both good and not so good. It would be virtually impossible to have the quality of food today on ships with 3000+ passengers compared to the ships then with from 600 to 1000 PAX.

I remember when the assistant waiter served the side dishes (potatoes and veggies) off of large platters. I loved the Song of America.:)

I went on the Song of America back in August of 1985 - I was only 18 and probably didn't fully appreciate the quality and presentation of the food!! I do remember our waiter going around the table with a salad dressing server-thingy that held all of the different kinds - he would pour our preferred dressings over each of our salads every night. Do they still do that?

Just remembered his name - Gursel from Turkey. Wow - can't believe I remembered that.

Great memories!:p

I remember always eating Escargot and shrimp cocktail everynight and that was on the Big Red Boat no less. I forgot about early and late seating for all meals. Wow - I hated getting up early breakfast. :D

Thanks for the memories.

Brought back a memory...My wife and I purchased the set of menues while on board Song of America. These small 4 x 6 menues are small versions of what was handed out for the meals. I just dug them out of my drawer. Dinner menus include:

Welcome Aboard

French Night

Italian Night

Caribbean Night

Spanish Night

America the Beautiful

Captain's Gala

Anyone know where Jerry Johnson form Roatan Honburas ended up? .. I can not read the other names who signed my menu jacket.......I've also got all of the lunch menus as well as the wine menu. Anyone interested in a $12 bottle of white zin? I think I paid 6 bucks a glass on Freedom in March.

Take care,

Square.

Archived