Article about RCI Banning Complaining Couple

karatemom2

That's a very interesting read... it's nice to know that cruiselines are reading Cruise Critic!

I think I'd have to side with the cruiseline in this instance. That woman does sound like she complained incessantly. The raw sewage is disgusting, but it's not like it was done on purpose, and if the ship was full, there is nowhere to move. It appears like they got adequate compensation.

Something tells me that this is a very high-maintenance passenger who feels very entitled to expect everything to be perfect. In my experience, that rarely happens. Part of the adventure is all the unexpected things that happen. You just deal with it. She sounds like a very negative and unhappy woman. I'm betting that it won't be too long before she finds fault with Norwegian as well.

Even the worst cruise is better than sitting in the office!

While not quite the same thing, a few years back we had a couple at our dinner table who spent the first 3 days complaining about EVERYTHING. We see them outside dinner and they would still be complaining. Thank god they decided they didn't like our table and moved after the 3rd day otherwise our whole table (10 people) would have.

I think they didn't like it when we questioned them why they cruised if they hated things so much. Many of their issues were a carry over from previous cruises and they kept saying they couldn't believe the cruise line hadn't fixed that yet. It was a surprise to the rest of us as most felt the ship and cruise were better than prior cruises. Guess it proves you can't please everyone and there are some people who can never be happy.

In over 10 cruises I can only say that I have been mildly disappointed in a few things but nothing comes to mind that even came close to ruining my trip. Too bad I can't say that about the airlines :eek:

I am very laid back and basically don't find much of anything to complain about on a cruise. I have never been to the pursers desk with a complaint. I haven't scoured the RCL board to see what issues these people had. I do know that if I had raw sewage on the carpet in my room, I could not handle it. If they could not move me, then I would expect the carpet to be replaced. If that could not be done and I had to walk past and sleep in that filth, it would have a profoundly negative effect on my enjoyment of the cruise.

There's more to this story, I think, than the Moran's are allowing to be published in this story. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me I know who this poster might be, and if I'm right, "over the top" might be a mild description of the complaints and I think RC acted appropriately.

There's more to this story, I think, than the Moran's are allowing to be published in this story. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me I know who this poster might be, and if I'm right, "over the top" might be a mild description of the complaints and I think RC acted appropriately.

Rob.......there is more to the story........you probably have it nailed down pretty good.

If you go the first post on the RCI thread, follow that to the PMS article and then click on the cruise critic reference you will see the review on cruise critic which has the screen name. Anybody who hangs out on the RCI board will recognize her screen name.

Isn't it interesting how a story can change?! In the article by MSNBC, the story was that "their stateroom had a plumbing problem that ended up with sewage all over the bathroom that overflowed onto the room’s carpet."

Here's what this poster wrote last Sept. 2007 about this incident:

"Our stateroom 8276 (AFT D1) was nicely appointed but the bathroom reeked of sewer smell for the entire 14 night cruise. Guest Relations did nothing but tell us about other guests who flush oranges, apples, silverware, diapers, etc down the toilet so we should talk to them. So our balcony door remained open the entire cruise even in 40 degree nights to keep the air fresh. Night 14 at midnight we have a guy banging on our door to deliver an envelope from the Hotel Manager giving us 20% off our next cruise. Too bad it took 2 weeks to do it."

Apparently the credibility of the storyteller is in question. :cool:

While not quite the same thing, a few years back we had a couple at our dinner table who spent the first 3 days complaining about EVERYTHING. We see them outside dinner and they would still be complaining. Thank god they decided they didn't like our table and moved after the 3rd day otherwise our whole table (10 people) would have.

I think they didn't like it when we questioned them why they cruised if they hated things so much. Many of their issues were a carry over from previous cruises and they kept saying they couldn't believe the cruise line hadn't fixed that yet. ...............................

While not quite the same thing,........... actually I think you experienced a very similiar situation. Maybe the RCCL couple documented and wrote complaints................... and were not as vocal. Thus they were more "professional" and able to beat the system. ;)

No matter what other faults it may have, maybe NCL does not have raw sewage on the carpet in the cabins.

You all are getting hung up on the spillage issue. That was probably their most legitimate complaint. Their problem was the numerous complaints from their other five RCCL cruises.... which caused RCCL to conclude these folks could never be satisfied..... or in reality...... were professional complainers.

Unfortunately...... the is a case of the "Little Boy Crying Wolf".

I am very laid back and basically don't find much of anything to complain about on a cruise. I have never been to the pursers desk with a complaint. I haven't scoured the RCL board to see what issues these people had. I do know that if I had raw sewage on the carpet in my room, I could not handle it. If they could not move me, then I would expect the carpet to be replaced. If that could not be done and I had to walk past and sleep in that filth, it would have a profoundly negative effect on my enjoyment of the cruise.

I agree with you, however, if you go read their review, the review states that they had a sewage smell in their room. Somehow that morphed into sewage on the carpet in later posts and letters to RCCL. It's inconsistencies like this that got my attention about these people.

It's a shame MSNBC didn't do a little checking before publishing this story. But not surprising.

Yea......but if the did......they probably wouldn't be MSNBC:)

I agree 100% with RCCL on this one. I have had things I disliked about cruises (mainly personnel) but nothing that I would ever complain about. This couple just wanted free stuff and they got it for awhile. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who do this. The only time we have requested anything to someone (Matre de) was when we were placed at a table with a family whose 15 year old son was a little to interested in the alcohol we were drinking.

That's a very interesting read... it's nice to know that cruiselines are reading Cruise Critic!

I think I'd have to side with the cruiseline in this instance. That woman does sound like she complained incessantly. The raw sewage is disgusting, but it's not like it was done on purpose, and if the ship was full, there is nowhere to move. It appears like they got adequate compensation.

Something tells me that this is a very high-maintenance passenger who feels very entitled to expect everything to be perfect.

It sounds like she likes to complain just to see if she can get a few bucks off the next cruise. Personally, all that complaining would ruin any trip I was on and I would simply tell her to travel on her own. I travel to get away from crap like that. I always shake my head at complainers on a cruise ship. Gee whiz, you're in paradise being waited on hand and foot. Is what you're complaining about really that bad?

On the other hand, if the terlet overflowed (big if considering the source) then there really is no adequate compensation in truth. Imagine living in a room for 14 days with that smell? We were on that ship this past March and in some of the hallways you can occasionally get a whiff of a septic-like smell occasionally. It kinda comes then goes as fast as you notice it. In fact, in our room you could smell it one evening. Its not pleasant but we cracked the balcony door and it wasn't bad. The next day it was gone but I certainly would complain if I had to smell that for 14 days I'll tell ya that much.

This brings up another point though. You would think that cruise lines would leave 2 or 3 rooms empty on every cruise for emergencies that require a room to be closed for cleaning. It sure would have been beneficial in that case.

The business saying that the client is always right is often a bad theory.

There are people who are nitpickers and are never happy with anything. Anyone who has a job that requires contact with the public has dealt with a few people like this. And you do eventually wash your hands of these people by just not servicing them any longer.

I have had great cruises and some that are not so great but only once did I ever complain to a cruise line about a service issue with an Asst. Waiter that just infuriated me (and it was Celebrity believe it or not). Who is so perfect in their own lives that they can't deal with some imperfection on a vacation, whether it be on a ship or a land vacation?

I can understand the womans complaint about the sewage smell, but had that been the only complaint she ever made to the cruise line, this wouldn't have happened.

In my opinion, perhaps posts on the boards are what did her in or inconsistencies in her stories as someone above pointed out.

You have to feel sorry for people that appear to be chronic complainers - they must be unhappy in their real lives if they can't roll with the punches when things do no go perfectly. If some minor problems on a cruise are all that this person has wrong in their lives (they have their health, etc.) they don't realize how lucky they truly are.

JMO.

You have to feel sorry for people that appear to be chronic complainers - they must be unhappy in their real lives if they can't roll with the punches when things do no go perfectly. If some minor problems on a cruise are all that this person has wrong in their lives (they have their health, etc.) they don't realize how lucky they truly are.

JMO.

Oh, I dunno about that. In this case, I think the couple involved were perfectly happy as long as RCI was ponying up discounts and OBCs for their supposed issues. People like that seem to be able to "turn on" the outrage when necessary......:rolleyes:

If I followed the other threads posted earlier involving these folks, aren't they now doing the same thing on NCL, the line they supposedly like??

I've always found "something" that didn't go right on any of my cruises. FORTUNATELY, it's never been as bad as backed up sewage, but life is never going to run smoothly.

The business saying that the client is always right is often a bad theory.

There are people who are nitpickers and are never happy with anything. Anyone who has a job that requires contact with the public has dealt with a few people like this. And you do eventually wash your hands of these people by just not servicing them any longer.

I have had great cruises and some that are not so great but only once did I ever complain to a cruise line about a service issue with an Asst. Waiter that just infuriated me (and it was Celebrity believe it or not). Who is so perfect in their own lives that they can't deal with some imperfection on a vacation, whether it be on a ship or a land vacation?

I can understand the womans complaint about the sewage smell, but had that been the only complaint she ever made to the cruise line, this wouldn't have happened.

In my opinion, perhaps posts on the boards are what did her in or inconsistencies in her stories as someone above pointed out.

JMO.

But............was this a chronic complainer or was this someone that saw a way of getting something for nothing by complaining? Therefore decreaseing the cost of their future cruises over and over again? I mean, it worked for them once, so they just kept it up on each cruise. I can only imagine some of the petty things these passengers complained of trying to get some sort of credit towards their next voyage.

I totally can see why RCI banned them, as if they weren't happy with the product, there are many others to choose from out there.

Archived