General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

well, here is rccl's response re british immersion cruise:

1. This is a BRAND NEW decision by RCCL. RCCL UK has not been informed of these changes.

2. As of TODAY, ALL CRUISES leaving out of Southhampton, due to the large number of British passengers, will have entertainment, food, and other items on the ship catered strictly to the likes of the British people.

3. There WILL BE American food choices on board, but they will be limited.

4. For these reasons, RCCL chose to call all of their customers on this side of the pond so that we could make alternative choices.

unfortunately, at this point, we are probably going to stick to our decision to cancel. this is a 14-day cruise.

thanks again to everyone's input.

So what is an immerson cruise? Is it about the meals? They are more local or is it everything. I feel like I'm missing what the big deal is :(

we are told that food, language, entertainment and retail (?) will be local ie: Vietnamese, Chinese... I dont think my DH will eat Asian food for 2 weeks and neither of us speaks any Asian language. I Don't think I can learn one by Feb either. But like the other poster, this is not what we signed up for. We are told that this is being done because most fellow pax are Asian but didn't they sign up for the same thing I did? ie: a Western style cruise thru the Asian countries. Seems like if they wanted Asian immersion there must be some Asian cruise lines out there, no?

I'm curious how this works. Do they bring on a completely new Cruise Director staff? The CD and staff are all Asian and speak Chinese? Because even if the majority of passengers are from SE Asia, they don't all speak one language. Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Tagalog...just because everyone may look similar doesn't mean they all speak the same language! And does RC have an "Asian crew" that could accomodate all these various languages? Somehow I think not.

Does it also mean that all of the entertainment is Asian as well? Asian singers? Asian comedians? All Asian dancers? Are all the dining staff Asian?

Somehow I don't think it's as big of a deal as it sounds. I think maybe the food is Asian cuisine, but I don't see how they can target just one nationality.

I guess it would be a new experience. Of course I'm booked on rccl out of bayonne for that jersey experience. I'm from lawn guyland so I'll be fine ;)

I only hope they can train their staff to talk like me. Because I have a hard time with slow speach. I'mallaboutthefasteryougetitouttheeasieritisformetounderstandyou.

Otherwise, I'm finishing your sentences for you :p

However, I can totally understand people not being happy about an immersion cruise. That isn't what you signed up for. But...I would think choosing a cruise to Asia, you'd want to experience it all. I'm quite sure the staff is not all taking berlitz courses in asian languages. So some of them will still speak their version of english to you. And I'm sure they will carry an alternate menu if you don't want asian food each and every evening.

I'd give it a go. It sounds like a unique experience to me. If you hate it, when you come home complain.....if you dare....lol :D

Just repeating what we were told. And I tried to change to the preceding cruise that is the same ports but in reverse and was told that this is now the case for ALL cruises on this ship (Legend).

Also would add that if it is not a big change or big deal, why the need to call everybody and tell them?

I'm finding this quite upsetting that people will actually cancel a cruise because the bacon's different and bingo is with spots not holes - there is really such little difference in reality. After all English cruisers survive on American Immersion cruises without even thinking about it. Anyone would think we spoke a different language and ate food no one had ever seen. I had a friend from the US come over and visit - he honestly thought that everyone still wore flat caps and the streets were cobbled. The biggest difference is we drive on the other side of the road! :eek:

Ahhhh NO!!!!!!!! I was dreading hearing this! I'm really dissapointed RCCL have now decided to expand this to all cruises leaving Southampton. I was really looking forward to crispy bacon, pancakes and maple syrup :D

Johnny Rockets better still be serving burgers and malts or I may end up cancelling too. I go on vacation to experience different things, and baked beans with HP sauce for brekkie isnt one of them :mad:

Yeah but we're made of tougher stuff than those yanks nikkicattrell lol lol

After all we had food rationing during WWII - they'd have given in within the first week lol

jj....

I'm finding this quite upsetting that people will actually cancel a cruise because the bacon's different and bingo is with spots not holes - there is really such little difference in reality. After all English cruisers survive on American Immersion cruises without even thinking about it. Anyone would think we spoke a different language and ate food no one had ever seen. I had a friend from the US come over and visit - he honestly thought that everyone still wore flat caps and the streets were cobbled. The biggest difference is we drive on the other side of the road! :eek:

I disagree. I travel a great deal to the U.K. and it is a guaranteed diet for me as I really dislike the food. I would cancel my cruise if I was told the food menu was being modified under the terms of "british immersion".

I dont think its just the food, its more to do with the whole ''theme'' concept. I really have no desire to cruise with a ''themed'' anything. If I want British themeing I will go to Epcot, if I want real Britiain I will vacation in the UK, on a Med cruise I really dont want British theming at all :(

So, perhaps we should all put in a call to Heathrow and Gatwick airports too.

I don't understand how people can expect to travel to a different country only to have everything the same as the USA. A ship is a vessel, not a bubble.

I really cannot imagine them changing 100% over for each of these cruises, although that is what 'immersion' indicates. It'll work or it won't, in any case, it's unfortunate if any of you bought non-refundable airfare and I would communicate that to RC.

(and I think I'd be more concerned about the British cuisine than the Asian)

So, perhaps we should all put in a call to Heathrow and Gatwick airports too.

I don't understand how people can expect to travel to a different country only to have everything the same as the USA. A ship is a vessel, not a bubble.

That is an excellent point - so why on earth has RCCL decided that ships leaving the UK should have everything the same as in the UK :confused:

I disagree. I travel a great deal to the U.K. and it is a guaranteed diet for me as I really dislike the food. I would cancel my cruise if I was told the food menu was being modified under the terms of "british immersion".

Nothing like a sweeping statement - maybe you should find some better restuarants. :confused:

That is an excellent point - so why on earth has RCCL decided that ships leaving the UK should have everything the same as in the UK :confused:

Er - because most of the people on it are from .. the UK! :eek: and surprisingly like things in English and the bacon back and not deep fried streaky.

here's what the big problem is - when i booked my cruise, as probably the original poster, we signed up thinking that we would be on an AMERICAN-style ship. In fact, when i booked the cruise, i specifically asked if my cruise out of england would be just like getting onto a ship in miami, los angeles or anywhere else in the states. RCCL told me "yes."

i've never had any type of "immersion" experience. this is completely different than the ship adding additional food or entertainment or whatever to suit the needs of where the ship is debarking from.

when i sailed out of puerto rico on adventure, the ship was at least 85% or more puerto ricans. our cruise was not changed to be entirely based on the puerto rican culture. sure, after every announcement that was made in english, we heard an announcement in spanish, but after that, there was absolutely NO NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER. the food and entertainment was just like on any other rccl ship.

here's an example: you book a cruise out of galveston. your phone rings and it's rccl telling you that the cruise you booked is now an American immersion cruise. well, is it native american? is it country-western? what exactly are they talking about? and would you want to be on this type of ship for 14 days? these are taste-specific sailings. both the original poster and myself never bargained for these when we gave our deposit a very long time ago.

i believe the problem stems from the fact that the economy in this country is so bad that a lot of americans are going to curtail their foreign travel. as a result to better attract the "local" population, you now have an American company trying to act like they're British, Asian or whatever.

the purpose of cruise critic is to inform. before i make a deposit for a cruise, at the very least, i try to read as many of the cruise reviews for that sailing. based on that information, i decide whether or not the cruise would suit my family. the problem with these "immersion" cruises is that for me, my full deposit is due next friday. i am not sure if i will have read enough or any at all reviews that specifically address my needs. with that in mind, i don't want to risk thousands and thousands of dollars flying from los angeles to london to then get on a ship with a big question mark in my mind. and remember - we're talking 14 days worth of immersion. i don't think i'd want to "immerse" myself with 14 days of anything. :)

after taking a gizillion rccl cruises, i've come to expect certain things. i guess rccl wants to now change most of what i've become comfortable with. unfortunately, this now makes me uncomfortable.

I had a friend from the US come over and visit - he honestly thought that everyone still wore flat caps and the streets were cobbled. The biggest difference is we drive on the other side of the road! :eek:

I know how you feel, how often have I been asked by the colonial cousins why I'm not wearing my lederhose, with a bratwurst in one hand and a stein in the other.:rolleyes:

Also they do drive on your side of the road - at least on St. Thomas USVI.

Ron

Archived