Princess to Jettison Jamaican Ports

johnlcruise

Now all Princess needs to do is discontinue port calls in Grand Cayman and Cozumel and I might consider doing a Western Caribbean cruise once again.

Lew

Whats wrong with them? After Jamaica, Grand Cayman seemed like Switzerland to me.

Cruisers and the cruiselines bring out the worst in an island. If it's an island that's gorgeous overall - but with social issues - then it is... Jamaica...

The whole ME ME ME - you islanders are here for ME!! psychosis of the boat load herd has some bad results. Homogenized Carlos n' Charlies, Diamonds International Margharitaville starts to strip places of their character and if the locals are gritty and proud then sh*t happens.

No individual cruiser is responsible for this, and Jamaica 'has been warned' and it hasn't 'shaped up' - but frankly their problems are a little too big and varied for kowtowing to Micky Arison and the rest to be a priority. It's an island for a more seasoned traveler.

Most reasonable response I've seen. Thanks.

the best scam they have i witnessed personaly but not participated in. the weed dealers stand at the dock and turn in the people they just sold to and get a bounty from the police who inturn collect a fat fine to let the people get back on the ship. don't you just love it. way to go love boat. see ya on the sea! redbeard

Although not on a cruise, this very thing happened to my cousin and his friend. But it did not stop there - after collecting the fat fine, the police turned around and tried to sell the ganja back to them again :eek:

is that from experience?

I have many stamps from cuba in my US passport...I had extra pages put in my passport and they added them right over the cuba stamps.

We have blindly followed what our government says and what they want us to think... no one really stands up to them, right? why is gas so high, why do we have the "patriot act" (how many have actually read that by the way?)

so as long as we act like cattle and don't question some of the wrongs....well, think of what would've happened back in 1776 if everyone was so passive.

if you do a search on OFAC the dept in charge of enforcing that ( I work for a bank, we deal with their regs all the time) in the 1st qtr of this year they have issued 52 citations, about 40 being for travellers bringing cuban cigars back (from other countries other than Cuba as well included)

Experience? No... I just follow the laws. If it were easy for U.S. citizens to stop in Cuba I would think cruiselines would have taken advantage of it by now. Trust me, I would love to go to Cuba.

I have always had good experiences in Jamaica with local people who want to show tourists the beauty of their island. Just like anywhere else, you have to be careful and pay attention to your surroundings. This is true in Chicago, NY, Minneapolis, etc. I have learned not to make eye contact with pushy vendors in Jamaica, Mexico, Turkey, etc. This experience isn't unique to Jamaica. I'm surprised by people who seem to travel a lot but are intimiated by locals hawking their goods. I for one will miss Jamaica on the itinerary. Unfortunately, I think it will hurt Jamaica and not serve as incentive to make improvements which would make tourists feel more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking as some one who has visited Jamaica 15+ times over the years,

I can say that it is no different than any other Caribbean island as far as the safety factor. You have to be street smart there as in any other place and to call it disgusting is way out of line. I have been to Denver,CO and there are disgusting places there as well that I would not venture to. I don't care where you visit there can be things you don't like. We enjoy the diving in Negril and have met and have some very good locals as friends. So get over it and enjoy all the islands of the caribbean or stay home if you don't want to get out of yuor comfort zone. IMHO!!

Roatan has become my new favorite port. It is still relatively undiscovered and not as touristy. The snorkeling there is phenomonal. We were told it has the 2nd largest barrier reef as there is a reef around the whole island. Having not been to Australia, I absolutely loved snorkeling there. I saw creatures I have never seen snorkeling there. I am hopeful that the increased cruiselines visiting will not ruin the reef. On our last trip there, the snorkeling guides said Carnival is actually building a pier across from where we were snorkeling. We have also bought some of my favorite items in my house there. There are some neat shops but you have walk a long way through some interesting areas.

I also loved Jamaca the two times I was there and still compare every catatmaran to the great fun I had on one there. Have not had so much fun on a catamaran since. Will miss hiking up Dunns Falls and the fun music on the catamaran.

Speaking as some one who has visited Jamaica 15+ times over the years,

I can say that it is no different than any other Caribbean island as far as the safety factor. You have to be street smart there as in any other place and to call it disgusting is way out of line. I have been to Denver,CO and there are disgusting places there as well that I would not venture to. I don't care where you visit there can be things you don't like. We enjoy the diving in Negril and have met and have some very good locals as friends. So get over it and enjoy all the islands of the caribbean or stay home if you don't want to get out of yuor comfort zone. IMHO!!

Very well said!!

Drugs, pushy people, disgusting places...they are everywhere folks! Even in your hometowns!:eek:

Archived