Princess to Jettison Jamaican Ports

johnlcruise

All I can say is..IT'S about time...

Princess Cruises will remove Jamaican ports from its Western Caribbean itineraries beginning next year, due in part to the island's poor performance on passenger surveys.

The cruise line's 2009-10 Caribbean cruise schedule, released last week, drops Jamaican port calls from all seven-day sailings to the Western Caribbean. The Honduran island of Roatan will replace the Jamaica stop (currently either Ocho Rios or Montego Bay) on all of these cruises, joining holdovers Grand Cayman, Cozumel and the private island of Princess Cays on the itinerary.

Crown Princess will handle the altered Western Caribbean lineup, taking over the route from Ruby Princess, and will sail on 27 departures beginning in November 2009.

Ocho Rios and Montego Bay have long been mainstays for Princess in the Caribbean, and are both included on 2008-09 itineraries currently offered onboard Ruby Princess. But Jamaica's somewhat gritty image, along with persistent passenger concerns about crime and a too-visible drug culture, may have finally forced the cruise line to make a change.

Passenger response played a significant role in the decision to add Roatan at the expense of Jamaica's pair of ports, according to Princess.

"Part of the selection process for ports of call is based on passenger surveys," Princess spokesperson Karen Candy tells us via e-mail. "At the conclusion of each and every cruise, we ask passengers to rank the ports on their sailing based on both whether it was important to them in the purchase decision for the cruise, and also whether it delivered to their expectations."

It would seem that Ocho Rios and Montego Bay were unable to meet those expectations.

The significant loss of calls from Princess is a serious blow to Jamaica's somewhat beleaguered tourism industry, and could blunt an ambitious five-year plan recently announced by the Jamaica Tourist Board. The JTB expects cruise passenger arrivals to rise 1.9 percent in 2008 and hopes to increase arrivals by 6.3 percent overall by 2012. Jamaica has started strong this year with arrivals up 4.2 percent in January and February compared to the same period in 2007, but the pending loss of so many Princess calls could eventually stall the island's momentum.

A spokesperson for Jamaica did not provide comment by press time.

Princess, however, has not forsaken Jamaica completely. Montego Bay will be included on the line's 14-day Grand Caribbean Islander and Grand Caribbean Adventurer itineraries onboard Sea Princess during the 2009-10 season.

--by Michael Potter, Assistant Editor

Princess Cruises will remove Jamaican ports from its Western Caribbean itineraries beginning next year, due in part to the island's poor performance on passenger surveys.

The cruise line's 2009-10 Caribbean cruise schedule, released last week, drops Jamaican port calls from all seven-day sailings to the Western Caribbean. The Honduran island of Roatan will replace the Jamaica stop (currently either Ocho Rios or Montego Bay) on all of these cruises, joining holdovers Grand Cayman, Cozumel and the private island of Princess Cays on the itinerary.

Crown Princess will handle the altered Western Caribbean lineup, taking over the route from Ruby Princess, and will sail on 27 departures beginning in November 2009.

Ocho Rios and Montego Bay have long been mainstays for Princess in the Caribbean, and are both included on 2008-09 itineraries currently offered onboard Ruby Princess. But Jamaica's somewhat gritty image, along with persistent passenger concerns about crime and a too-visible drug culture, may have finally forced the cruise line to make a change.

Passenger response played a significant role in the decision to add Roatan at the expense of Jamaica's pair of ports, according to Princess.

"Part of the selection process for ports of call is based on passenger surveys," Princess spokesperson Karen Candy tells us via e-mail. "At the conclusion of each and every cruise, we ask passengers to rank the ports on their sailing based on both whether it was important to them in the purchase decision for the cruise, and also whether it delivered to their expectations."

It would seem that Ocho Rios and Montego Bay were unable to meet those expectations.

The significant loss of calls from Princess is a serious blow to Jamaica's somewhat beleaguered tourism industry, and could blunt an ambitious five-year plan recently announced by the Jamaica Tourist Board. The JTB expects cruise passenger arrivals to rise 1.9 percent in 2008 and hopes to increase arrivals by 6.3 percent overall by 2012. Jamaica has started strong this year with arrivals up 4.2 percent in January and February compared to the same period in 2007, but the pending loss of so many Princess calls could eventually stall the island's momentum.

Princess, however, has not forsaken Jamaica completely. Montego Bay will be included on the line's 14-day Grand Caribbean Islander and Grand Caribbean Adventurer itineraries onboard Sea Princess during the 2009-10 season.

Glad to hear it! I hope other cruiselines will follow suit. It's nice to see that Princess is paying attention to its customers.

Thank goodness, it is one of the most disgusting places in the Caribbean. :mad:

The Jamaicans have shot themselves in the foot on this one.

They have had years to improve their image. :rolleyes:

And unless Grand Cayman sinks some money in their dock area it should be next.

So if I'm understaning this correctly, this change will not affect my Feb. '09 Western cruise on the Ruby ? I'm trying to have an open mind about Ocho Rios. Haven't been there yet and I'm not trying to start a debate on Jamaica. There is pleanty of that on the Ports board. But there was just a thread on the Ports of Call boards on people's experiences good or bad, and whether they had a private guide or not. Those who hired their own guides based on recommendation on the boards seemed to have a great time.

I agree with you...we enjoyed the natural beauty of the island, as well as the excellent food and coffee.

Is that the same island I went to :confused: The one I went to was in dire need of an "Adopt a Highway" program to pick up all the trash. :(

............The Honduran island of Roatan will replace the Jamaica stop (currently either Ocho Rios or Montego Bay) on all of these cruises, joining holdovers Grand Cayman, Cozumel and the private island of Princess Cays on the itinerary. .....................

Not what I would call a real upgrade........ trading a trashy dangerous island for a third world under developed island. :rolleyes:

We've been to both and are not rushing back. :) There are better places to visit in my opinion. ;)

That's too bad, really enjoyed Ochos Rios when we were there in March on Island Princess. We had a private guide to go River Tubing and to Dunns River Falls and had a great time.

The only way to do Jamaica (IMO) ... we did this too (Marva Shaw?) and it was a GREAT excursion. One of our favorites of all our cruises.

Just curious - Where did this quote come from? Do you have the link? I would like to read it as it is news to me.

Thanks,

Kaye

I'd be disappointed as Ocho Rios was one of my favorite ports. We had a great time there unlike Princess Cays, which IMHO is a sea day, i.e., a day to stay onboard the ship.

Our visits to Jamaica (Ocho Rios & Negril) have been land based and wonderful!! Sooo much fun. Met alot of locals that were just all around nice people who showed us a great time! Have never cruised there because the Western itineraries really don't appeal to us that much.

You're right on about Princess Cays.

You are exactly right. They have done it to themselves. For years Jamaica has been cautioned and warned to no avail.

Thank you Princess,

Mike:)

Grand Cayman has one of the most beautiful reefs - I hope they will NOT kill them just to please cruise ship pax. As for Jamaica, I think it is time for me to take a land vacation there.

This is somewhat disappointing! I realy enjoyed my cruise to Mo Bay 10/06. I can see why some would want to skip this island, but if you get outside of Mo Bay, the scenery is wonderful.

The last few times we were on a Princess western cruise we just stayed on the ship and enjoyed the pool. The last time we got off at Jamaica we had a somewhat uncomfortable experience and decided it wasn't worth getting off. I will agree that it is a beautiful island with gorgeous views.

I have been in Jamaica twice and both times Jamaicans have tried to rip me off. :mad: I agree that the Jamaicans have brought this on themselves. I have had great times there horseback riding on a route that included a beach and doing Dunns River Falls with my kids. But it's one island I wouldn't look to go back to. My favorite ports in the Western Caribbean have been Costa Maya and Grand Cayman.

That sux. Jamaica was my favorite port. I had a better time there than Cayman and Cozumel. Everyone says the merchants are pushy in Jamaica, I found the ones in Cozumel to be worse. Oh well. But at least I get to see a new port.

Love Roatan! But, there will be people complaining about that too. It really is quite undeveloped, so if they are looking for Grand Cayman or Aruba shopping experiences, forget it....for now anyway.

Archived