Princess to Jettison Jamaican Ports

johnlcruise

There is another beautiful island in the caribbean that everyone should visit....

all we have to do is get our politicians to end the stupid embargo with Cuba and imagine the ports and beaches that you'd get to see. Cuba is a REALLY BIG island.

I don't want to turn this into a polital thread, my grandmother still lives there...the embargo hasn't worked in 49 years, it will never work...

with that being said, it's an amazing place that I think everyone should go to... lets hear from the Canadians (or not chicken Americans) that have been...right?

You're right. Its is amazing. The beaches are stunningly beautiful and the people-- so so friendly and appreciative! Its definately a place to get away from it all. But you know how it goes, even if everyone was allowed to travel there, we'd still hear complaints about this and that...

I'm confused on when the actual change takes place. We are thinking of booking the Ruby Princess in Feb or March 2009. Currently online it says it goes to Ocho Rios. Will that change to Roatan automatically even though it says Ocho Rios?

It is to bad that Princess has decided to limit it 's port calls to Jamaica. I enjoyed Ocho Rios and didn't have any problems with "pushy" vendors. I can handle pushy people, I have been married over 35 years:) .

I'm confused on when the actual change takes place. We are thinking of booking the Ruby Princess in Feb or March 2009. Currently online it says it goes to Ocho Rios. Will that change to Roatan automatically even though it says Ocho Rios?

This change is effective in the Fall of 2009, so the cruises through the Spring of 2009 will continue as scheduled.

Jim

Hmmmm... I have a friend that is a police officer and 1 day I was reading through some of his books.... I'm sure you have seen stuff on the internet about stupid laws that are still on the books....it a matter of which ones are being enforced.

So why is it that the world's most free and democratic society can't go to Cuba?

There is a story of a soldier in Irag fighting for this freedom and democracy that can't visit his uncle in Cuba that raised him because recently the administration defined relatives that you could visit in cuba (once every 3 years) and an uncle isn't immediate family... funny , no?

I have been many times and I write Cuba on my declaration and only have been asked the usual questions... tobacco or alcohol.....like I said it depends on the level of enforcement. ever gotten a "warning" for a traffic violation.

not sure if your comment was sarcasim meaning you've been there or that your afraid to go.... but I'm sure no one here has ever "broken" the law.

But my point here at the beggining was to say that there are a lot of "tired" islands in the caribe that wouldn't it be nice to try stopping in Cuba instead of constantly going around it?

Yeah there are stupid laws and even police officers that break them too.

No I have not been there and don't plan until it is lawful.

It is not my job or desire to decide which laws are lawful or not.

I am also assuming that from your screen name you are from the US?

If not you could always move to Canada or Mexico and go to Cuba without the worry of the law being enforced. :rolleyes:

Why tempt fate?

We visited Ocho Rios on our Grand cruise last November. When we arrived it was raining. Anyone who had a tour booked through the ship that included Dunns River Falls was told their excursion was cancelled. But, luckily we had booked a private tour and even though we didn't see the Falls had a fantastic day.

But my point here at the beggining was to say that there are a lot of "tired" islands in the caribe that wouldn't it be nice to try stopping in Cuba instead of constantly going around it?

At the risk of hi-jacking this thread, I for one would love to visit to Cuba. I'm certain that one day the embargo will be lifted and Americans and cruise lines will pour in. I hope that I get a chance to visit it before it gets a Diamonds International and the natural beauty and charm are destroyed.

Flying home from Cancun to Los Angeles one time, I sat next to a narcotics officer who was returning from an international convention in Cuba about narcotics prevention. He had nothing but nice things to say about the people and island. If we're willing to send our peace officers there to share knowledge, how far behind can the rest of us be?

Hmmmm... I have a friend that is a police officer and 1 day I was reading through some of his books.... I'm sure you have seen stuff on the internet about stupid laws that are still on the books....it a matter of which ones are being enforced.

So why is it that the world's most free and democratic society can't go to Cuba?

There is a story of a soldier in Irag fighting for this freedom and democracy that can't visit his uncle in Cuba that raised him because recently the administration defined relatives that you could visit in cuba (once every 3 years) and an uncle isn't immediate family... funny , no?

I have been many times and I write Cuba on my declaration and only have been asked the usual questions... tobacco or alcohol.....like I said it depends on the level of enforcement. ever gotten a "warning" for a traffic violation.

not sure if your comment was sarcasim meaning you've been there or that your afraid to go.... but I'm sure no one here has ever "broken" the law.

I am quite certain this law is still enforced.

We visited Ocho Rios and Dunns River Falls also and enjoyed that and the surrounding scenery - but the other areas were very dirty, the vendors were relentless and we didn't feel safe on the streets by ourselves walking around the town.

There were also 2 cruise passengers arrested for drug possession as we returned to the ship - one a 19 yo, whose family also debarked in Ocho Rios and a guy about 45+. There is a real drug problem there and the ship warns passengers not to bring drugs back on the ship -security is very tight and we saw it happen first hand. We have heard they have undercover people watching the tourists and tracking them back to the ships if they are seen buying drugs and arresting them as they try to reboard.

So, this port will be no loss to me - been there, done that.

But are they arresting the drug sellers as well??? If not, then something is screwed up.

I am quite certain this law is still enforced.

is that from experience?

I have many stamps from cuba in my US passport...I had extra pages put in my passport and they added them right over the cuba stamps.

We have blindly followed what our government says and what they want us to think... no one really stands up to them, right? why is gas so high, why do we have the "patriot act" (how many have actually read that by the way?)

so as long as we act like cattle and don't question some of the wrongs....well, think of what would've happened back in 1776 if everyone was so passive.

if you do a search on OFAC the dept in charge of enforcing that ( I work for a bank, we deal with their regs all the time) in the 1st qtr of this year they have issued 52 citations, about 40 being for travellers bringing cuban cigars back (from other countries other than Cuba as well included)

When we went to Dunn's River we were forced to go thru the market in order to get out and the vendors were VERY pushy in spite of polite no thank yous .I was traveling with my 2 young boys and felt very uncomfortable . No I did not care for Jamaica.I really did not feel safe there . On Freedom RCCL rented buses for us all to go to the beach they took over for the day .That was smart thinking

I also did not feel safe in St Lucia and would skip that port altogether!!!

There is another beautiful island in the caribbean that everyone should visit....

all we have to do is get our politicians to end the stupid embargo with Cuba and imagine the ports and beaches that you'd get to see. Cuba is a REALLY BIG island.

I don't want to turn this into a polital thread, my grandmother still lives there...the embargo hasn't worked in 49 years, it will never work...

with that being said, it's an amazing place that I think everyone should go to... lets hear from the Canadians (or not chicken Americans) that have been...right?

Yes we have been to Cuba twice .Most people are real nice The beaches are super .Food not so because they cannot import.Its weird to see old 50's cars running .I did not care for all the military personnel carrying big guns at the airport.People are real poor .I left them tons of clothes medicine etc.

Most resorts are huge and very nice .BIg mosquitoes No sprays to get rid of them

I have not been back for a few years . Friends still go I refuse to

I'm waiting for the political situation to be different

However it would be a great place to visit

Cayo Coco is beautiful so is VARADERO

I was so pleased to hear this news today. I have avoided cruises in the Western Carr. due to the Jamaica stop. I have only been there once and only stayed on land for a short time before I decided that it was too unsafe and headed back to the ship.

It is a shame that such a beautiful island (from what I hear) has to have the problems that will keep tourist away.

When we went to Dunn's River we were forced to go thru the market in order to get out and the vendors were VERY pushy in spite of polite no thank yous .I was traveling with my 2 young boys and felt very uncomfortable . No I did not care for Jamaica.I really did not feel safe there . On Freedom RCCL rented buses for us all to go to the beach they took over for the day .That was smart thinking

I also did not feel safe in St Lucia and would skip that port altogether!!!

I am in definite agreement with your Dunn's River story. I had the same experience. On that same trip, true story:

My buddy and I hired a driver to take us around for a bit and we asked him to stop at this one place to take pictures because the scenery was beautiful. As we were taking pictures, these two guys walked up to us and one of them tried to sell me a pipe that he had carved. When I politely declined his offer, he says, "Well, how do you smoke your gunj?" I was astonished. As we were driving back to the ship we were stopped by this guy along the rode, walking on stilts no less, who tried to sell as a baggy of jerk spices that we could have stopped and picked at the side of the road. I understand some of these people are poor, and I'm sorry, but those and trying nearly being off by a woman pushing an ill-fitting tee shirt on me for $20.00...no thanks. Future stops kept me on the ships. These people are just too scary.

PS: We should have known better to get off the ship when we passed a resort that was encircled with a chainlink fence topped with razor wire.

They are law abiding American citizens NOT chickens!!

There is a real drug problem there and the ship warns passengers not to bring drugs back on the ship -security is very tight and we saw it happen first hand. We have heard they have undercover people watching the tourists and tracking them back to the ships if they are seen buying drugs and arresting them as they try to reboard.

We were told by our tour guide in Ocho Rios that the drug dealers themselves will turn in buyers in exchange for certain "favors" from law enforcement. :eek:

:cool: ocho rios is the armpit of the islands. we had to beat the beggars off with a stick. everyone is in on it. the taxi drivers, shops, street venders.a shop keeper was selling fake cubans for premium prices and getting it because knowone figured anyone to be so bold to sell fake for so much.brilliant!and what don't they understand about the word NO! the best scam they have i witnessed personaly but not participated in. the weed dealers stand at the dock and turn in the people they just sold to and get a bounty from the police who inturn collect a fat fine to let the people get back on the ship. don't you just love it. way to go love boat. see ya on the sea! redbeard

:cool: ocho rios is the armpit of the islands. we had to beat the beggars off with a stick. everyone is in on it. the taxi drivers, shops, street venders.a shop keeper was selling fake cubans for premium prices and getting it because knowone figured anyone to be so bold to sell fake for so much.brilliant!and what don't they understand about the word NO! the best scam they have i witnessed personaly but not participated in. the weed dealers stand at the dock and turn in the people they just sold to and get a bounty from the police who inturn collect a fat fine to let the people get back on the ship. don't you just love it. way to go love boat. see ya on the sea! redbeard

hmm..sounds like they really set their sights on cruiseship pax. Our land vacations there have been awesome! We even found the locals to be really friendly.

The only way to do Jamaica (IMO) ... we did this too (Marva Shaw?) and it was a GREAT excursion. One of our favorites of all our cruises.

Take it from someone who was very apprehensive about going to Jamaica, although after doing a tour with Marva Shaw, that's the only way I would recomend seeing the island, I would go back. Can't say it was my favorite but we did enjoy seeing the island

Ideally Jamaca will take this as a wake up call and get their act together, but I don't really think that is going to happen... I doubt they have the resources to really clean things up.

Personally I will treat any future cruise days at Jamaica as a sea day. I've given it two chances and it just didn't work out...

Now all Princess needs to do is discontinue port calls in Grand Cayman and Cozumel and I might consider doing a Western Caribbean cruise once again.

Lew

I'm shocked. Maybe it's because we were there 11 years ago, but these 3 ports were lovely. I admit, there were greedy peddlers in Ocho Rios, but I just walk by without eye contact as if they aren't even there. They don't affect me at all. Dunn's River Falls was spectacular, as was the beach area below it. We had a lovely female tour guide there, and also went to a plantation which was fascinating. Grand Cayman was enjoyable as well. My husband dove there and says it was his best scuba experience EVER. Warm, clear water. He could read the name of the dive company on the boat from 80 ft down. Mom & Dad & I went to the turtle farm and had a good time. At Cozumel, we went to Tulum, which was incredibly interesting. The view of the beach below was spectacular. I would miss Jamaica, as well as the other two if they eventually discontinued them.

What I would NOT miss would be Princess Cays. To me, that was a waste of time.

Archived