L shaped cabin vs aft balcony

gypsyrose

[quote name='Cruzin 1025']

I agree...there is quite a bit of vibration and the side thrusters can get annoying when you port. But for us the bigger balcony was way worth it![/quote]

I would like your opinion on why you think the L shape balcony is bigger then an aft one.

Having been in both I have yet to experience a lot of vibration and shuddering. Is this just on the Splendor?

We had a decent amount of vibration in our 9A wrap on the Liberty. It kept me awake the first night and then after that I didn't notice it. Definitely not enough to cause me to dislike the room. When pulling in or out of port, there was a lot of noise as well but as I said, not enough to ruin it. I love the location. I have booked the 2 L shaped this time because I am stretching it to get a balcony at all and since the ones on the upper deck are 8As, it's (in my opinion) the best I can get in that category. My only "cheaper" balcony option is to book a guarantee which I don't want to do because I'd like us to be next to our friends so we can open the divider! So, I figure with 2 Ls, we have a SUPER long balcony! :)

When we were on the Victory, several from our roll call were in the aft balconies by us, so we took a look at theirs. They are deeper, but I think I prefer the wider ones. I'm not sure which is technically "bigger" though.

The girl in the 9A wrap was nice enough to also let us see her cabin. The balcony on there was WONDERFUL, although the room itself I didn't think was anything spectacular. A little more floor space, but that was all. She had a group with her and they all came to her cabin to hang out. I thought that was a great idea and think I'd consider that if we had a group.

Since Carnival has recategorized the Afts to be a higher category now, I think that the L-shaped as an 8A are by far the best deal!

[quote name='drise']We're considering the L shaped cabin on Liberty. Does anyone know for sure if it will have a sofa? Will it seem roomier or less so than regular 8a cabins?[/quote]

no sofa in the L shape on the Liberty- you have more room if you take one of the cabins across the back of the ship.

the L shape cabin has a lot of sq footage but much of it cant be used.
[URL]http://travel.webshots.com/album/548033450PshIgf[/URL]
there are my pics of the Liberty L shape cabin

• 3 months later...
I will be staying in an L shape room on my upcoming conquest voyage, rm 6481. If anyone has pictures of an L shape room, I know the balcony is huge. Drove past the conquest on my last visit to galveston. Also waht about opening the dividers between the balconies...I know they only open a certian number and to get there early. whcih aft rooms would be best (when booking two) to be able to open the dividers and not cover a door to your room.

I have pictures from Glory's cabin 6481. I'm pretty sure they are identical.

http://www.ucruiser.com/cruiselog/browse/listing_44/title_7-Day-Western-Caribbean-Cruise-on-Glory/

You can see the pictures under "Albums" on the right side.

• 3 months later...
When we went on the Valor in 07 we had the L-shaped room. We loved it!!! There is no sofa but we really didn't need it. On the balcony we had two chairs a table and a lounge chair. Friends of ours had an aft balcony they liked it but said that they wouldn't get another one because of the heat and the soot that was on the furniture. I know some don't get the soot but this time they did. When we go on the Freedom again we booked the L-shaped cabin because we like it so much. I'm sure what ever you pick will make you happy!!!:)

What cabin is L shape on the valor? Ok for you experts: I am going to upgrade to the aft extended balconies. Here are my choices of open rooms. Plesse keep in mind we are travelling with a mobility scooter for my son. We are unable to get acessible balcony cabin so we want a extended balcony. The cabin choices are: 6458, 6487, 6489, 7442. I don't think the couch matters as will be sitting mostly on the balcony or in our beds at night. Without the couch, wouldn't that give us more room with the scooter?

Many Thanks

Charleyann

What cabin is L shape on the valor? Ok for you experts: I am going to upgrade to the aft extended balconies. Here are my choices of open rooms. Plesse keep in mind we are travelling with a mobility scooter for my son. We are unable to get acessible balcony cabin so we want a extended balcony. The cabin choices are: 6458, 6487, 6489, 7442. I don't think the couch matters as will be sitting mostly on the balcony or in our beds at night. Without the couch, wouldn't that give us more room with the scooter?

Many Thanks

Charleyann

the problem being--the scooter wont fit through the door. And the cabins on the aft are not handicapped friendly- there is also a step up into the bathroom

Getting a cabin NOT specified for a scooter --you cant keep it in the hall as that is a safety issue-- you will have to take it to the pursers office to recharge-- and use a manual wheelchair to get back to the room.

if a scooter is the way your son needs to get around-i would reconsider

• 1 month later...

We had 7445 on the Valor. I wouldn't do it again. Not because of the balcony necessarily, but because the cabin is so tiny and cramped. We had a small get together of CC'ers and they were hanging from the rafters :eek:!! There's only 1 chair and a small table. We normally spend a good amount of time in our cabin, but it was very uncomfortable. I would much rather have an extended balcony cabin. I think that they have a couch, right? Now if you're talking about a wraparound on a Spirit class - go for it :D:D!!

I am booked in 6473 on the liberty for spring break. First L-shaped cabin & extended balcony. I don't mind if there is no sofa, but we do need 2 beds. After reading some reports of queen beds, I am starting to worry!

Also, is the noise bad in this cabin? I believe we are below a lounge. We aren't early to bed types, but then with shore excursions & port days I don't want to be listening to dance music in my room til the wee hours, either.

I am booked in 6473 on the liberty for spring break. First L-shaped cabin & extended balcony. I don't mind if there is no sofa, but we do need 2 beds. After reading some reports of queen beds, I am starting to worry! .

these beds do not come apart so if looking for two beds--- this is not the room for you. (the balcony may be bigger but your space on the liberty is

confining.

http://travel.webshots.com/*****

on the side of the ship you are on-- you wont get noise from the lounge below you-- you are over the sitting area and away from the stage- you will want to avoid the even side.

I have pictures from Glory's cabin 6481. I'm pretty sure they are identical.

http://www.ucruiser.com/cruiselog/browse/listing_44/title_7-Day-Western-Caribbean-Cruise-on-Glory/

You can see the pictures under "Albums" on the right side.

Thank you, thank you , thank you!!! We'll be i this room in 15 days and I was dying for pictures!!!:D

these beds do not come apart so if looking for two beds--- this is not the room for you. (the balcony may be bigger but your space on the liberty is

confining.

http://travel.webshots.com/*****

on the side of the ship you are on-- you wont get noise from the lounge below you-- you are over the sitting area and away from the stage- you will want to avoid the even side.

I'm hoping the queen bed thing is something they've had in the past & changed? I called in to carnival to check, since I will have to change to a different cabin if there aren't 2 beds. The rep said there are definitely 2 twin beds in this cabin. I have an email in to my pvp too. I've booked with him for years now & he knows I'm sailing with my son, he's in the dog house if he booked a cabin for me that only has a queen bed.

I'm hoping the queen bed thing is something they've had in the past & changed? I called in to carnival to check, since I will have to change to a different cabin if there aren't 2 beds. The rep said there are definitely 2 twin beds in this cabin. I have an email in to my pvp too. I've booked with him for years now & he knows I'm sailing with my son, he's in the dog house if he booked a cabin for me that only has a queen bed.

this is not a queen bed but two beds pushed together- there is no way for the beds to be seperated-- there is no where to move them to. if you move one bed it will be against the bathroom door- if you move the bed the other way you wouldnt get in the cabin.

The beds are twins-- they just cant be moved. Ask the Carnival people if the beds can be seperated--- and keep that email.

He is telling you the truth--there are two beds in the cabin- what he ISNT telling you is they cant be seperated.

Thanks Serene56. I have another email out. It's discouraging because if I change now, there is going to be a lot fewer cabins available to pick from than when I first made the booking.

ask to move the bed over and put that night stand in the middle of the two beds. the beds at least will be seperate-- not by much but it will work.

2811041530062547426ZKLaOw_th.jpg

I have had both the L shape and aft cabins. The Lshape was on the Victory a couple of years ago. We had a sofa and two beds. I think there was more closet space, didn't think there was any less room in the cabin than others I'd been in. The balcony was the same depth as other balconies along the side, but a lot longer. Last year on the Destiny we had an aft balcony. Although the length of the balcony is the same as the side balconies, it is deeper. I much prefer the aft balcony over one on either side. Yes, it does get hot back there during the day, but we never had any issues with soot or trash. Next week I've got an aft wrap on the Victory. Can't wait for that one!

ask to move the bed over and put that night stand in the middle of the two beds. the beds at least will be seperate-- not by much but it will work.

2811041530062547426ZKLaOw_th.jpg

It will be perfectly fine if the beds can move enough to put the night stand in between. Thinking back to the TA we took on the Century, it was a concierge class cabin & the twin beds could barely be pulled apart a foot or so. A little more distance would have been better, we both snore so it was a contest to see who could fall asleep first.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about booking the Splendor in March or August 2010. I want to book an L shape for my ds and I. What is the best one to book?? I have never had one but love the long balcony. ANyone have pictures of the Spledor L shaped cabins?? I tried webshots but no luck.

Thanks!!

Archived