Unwelcome visitor in room

rollingstone

Actually, the person who came into our room was not our room steward. ( he was really great and if we did not answer the door, he would open it a bit and yell "hello"). I have absolutely no complaint about the room steward, room service (they called me once because I did not answer the door and they did not want to come in if I was still sleeping).
Since it has been 2 weeks since the cruise, and about 5 since the incident, I am hoping to hear from Princess soon. I really don't want anything from them other than knowing that they do not condone this.
A valuable lesson learned...always LOCK the door!!!!!

[quote name='Ela 2']Take a door-stopper with you. For those occasions when you need to be confident you will not be interrupted, wedge it under the door. Because cabin doors open inwards, the door cannot be opened until the door-stopper is removed.:)[/quote]

I usually stack my coolers in front of the door that way if it is opened they will fall over and the beer bottles will fall out and break alarming me that an unauthorized entry has been made to the room. :eek:

[quote name='rollingstone']Actually, the person who came into our room was not our room steward. ( he was really great and if we did not answer the door, he would open it a bit and yell "hello"). I have absolutely no complaint about the room steward, room service (they called me once because I did not answer the door and they did not want to come in if I was still sleeping).
Since it has been 2 weeks since the cruise, and about 5 since the incident, I am hoping to hear from Princess soon. I really don't want anything from them other than knowing that they do not condone this.
A valuable lesson learned...always LOCK the door!!!!![/quote]

I am sure you are going to get an official apology. Let us know what happens.

Also, I have noticed in the past, that the front desk people don't usually apologize for anything. I think they hear so many complaints all day long and they are told not to respond hoping you will go away and forget it. If its a complaint that the passenger is upset over they write it up and turn it over to higher ups to be resolved.

[quote name='Colo Cruiser']I usually stack my coolers in front of the door that way if it is opened they will fall over and the beer bottles will fall out and break alarming me that an unauthorized entry has been made to the room. :eek:[/quote]

Good thinking, Colo Cruiser! :D

[quote name='happyscot']I have a friend who swears they even had the "Do not disturb" sign on their door and was in the middle of a man and wife thing when the steward walked in. :eek:[/quote]

Arguing?? :confused:[/quote]

Yeah thats it, arguing. :D

[quote name='happyscot']I have a friend who swears they even had the "Do not disturb" sign on their door and was in the middle of a man and wife thing when the steward walked in. :eek:[/quote]

Arguing?? :confused:[/quote]

You guessed it! :D

[quote name='dpalmquist']Great idea! We have never had this happen but I am more concerned about it happening to my teenage daugters this summer.[/quote]

Just bear in mind that this means YOU won't be able to enter the cabin of your teenage daughters to check on them either... :cool:

[quote name='Ela 2']Take a door-stopper with you. For those occasions when you need to be confident you will not be interrupted, wedge it under the door. Because cabin doors open inwards, the door cannot be opened until the door-stopper is removed.:)[/quote] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree - [B]this is really a bad idea.[/B] If there is an emergency and you can't get to the door, no one will be able to get in. Remember the Star Princess fire?[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The privacy notice slipped in the key card slot will do the same. [/FONT]

[quote name='greatdanemom']Yuk, that's not something anyone wants to have happen. Feels too creepy.

I haven't sailed Princess yet but on the other lines I've been on they have some sort of a card or sign that you can put out to say something like "do not disturb." (Like the door knob hangers they have in hotels.) We always put these out when we're in the cabin just so no one walks in. I know the stewards are in and out throughout the day so it seemed like a good way to keep them OUT when we were in there. It's a pain in the neck to have to remember but it becomes second nature after a day or so. Just a suggestion to prevent future issues.

Sorry this happened to you. :([/quote]

Leaving the "do not disturb" sign out does not guarantee that you won't have a visitor.

On our August 2007 Crown Princess cruise, we had the door locked [B]and[/B] the "do not disturb" sign out and the steward still came in. He claimed that the door hanger was turned the other way, and that some kids must have turned it around.

DH was in the shower and thankfully I was already dressed for dinner. No harm done. He couldn't apologize enough. I assured him that it was OK.

On our recent RCL Explorer cruise, was more disturbing, because I was alone at the time.

It was the last night. We were at dinner when I remembered I left my camera in the cabin. When I went to get it, our steward was in the hallway and he used his key to open the door for me. He followed me in with the comment card, and stood over me until I filled it out giving him high praise. He actually told me what to write. I felt cornered and very uncomfortable. I wrote just what he said so I could get out of there.

Needless to say, I never handed it in. I never told my husband what happened, nor did I make a complaint. Next time, I'll make my DH go or we go together.

Yeah, we use the privacy card and that does seem to help. We have had them enter before when the privacy card was not out and both of us were out of ear shot from the door.

What always startles me is the ocassional crew who wash the windows/furniture on the balconies, lol. Nothing wrong with it...I don't mind, but when I open the curtains and see them out there is always gives me a start.

[quote name='sultan_sfo'][COLOR=red]Before many of you think about adopting this, remember that you are thwarting the ability of a crew member to open the cabin door in an "emergency".[/COLOR]

On the same cruise as OP, we had requested some room service. When we finally left the cabin, we found a note from the room service that they did not deliver because of the "Do Not Disturb" card on our door. Room service did not even knock on the door -- just left the note. We know the OPs personally, and definitely Princess needs to take some action and find some solutions and inform them. /Sultan[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. The problem that surfaced with the OP, is that security thought they was a domestic assault problem going on based on the complaint by the neighbor. Therefore, the crew was in their right to enter the room.

[quote=Cruisin' Chick;14784991]On our last cruise, we got a phone call that we had set off an alarm. My hubby had just finished taking a shower with the bathroom door open so we figured that was the cause, and we apologized and said we would make sure the door was closed from then on. I imagine if I hadn't picked up the phone, someone would had been up there and checking out our cabin.
[/quote]

Ha, this reminds me that on our last cruise, my friend (who is curious) pulled some cord in the bathroom which apparently sent some kind of signal to someone, lol. We did get a phone call to check if we were okay. :p

We have been on 4 different Princess ships and I do not remember seeing any of the "v type" locks that the hotels all have. I have seen 2 locks, one regular and one dead bolt but nothing else. I don't believe the Princess ships have them because as stated,in an emergency, someone has to get in.

• 2 weeks later...
This happened to us a lot on Celebrity. Especailly with this one gal. She would tap once and inside she would be with her pass card. Not giving us even time to respond. She caught me a couple times in my nightgown standing in the room with my mouth open about to say don't come in. One night I was furious. I was getting ready for the last formal night just doing the last ten minutes before we had to walk out and get to dinner. She came and said they needed to take inventory of the fridge. I said she could come back after we were out of the cabin. I had my leg up on the bed and my hubby was helping me buckle the strap on my shoe and she came in, after we told her not to and said she had to do it now. I am not a swearing person, but let me tell you I gave it to her with both barrels. Do NOT mess with a woman having dressing issues right before she has to leave for formal night! I have also had a few come in when I was in the bathroom and my hubby was taking a nap and didn't hear the knock. We always have the do not disturb sign on the door too. I am hoping it will not happen on our upcoming Princess cruise. A GOOD cabin steward will ring the phone first if there is a do not disturb sign on the door.

[quote name='dlp252']Yeah, we use the privacy card and that does seem to help. We have had them enter before when the privacy card was not out and both of us were out of ear shot from the door.

What always startles me is the ocassional crew who wash the windows/furniture on the balconies, lol. Nothing wrong with it...I don't mind, but when I open the curtains and see them out there is always gives me a start.[/quote]

They were washing the balconies on our 5/26 cruise, and Princess was nice enough to leave us a card telling us to be aware that we may see someone on our balcony doing this cleaning. I thought it was very considerate as otherwise I'm sure it would've given us quite a fright to see them!

We have never been in any awkard situations when then have knocked and came right in. Of course, once they see us, apologies all over the place. Even tho we do put out the Privacy sign when we are in our cabin, those little rug rats do change them;) to say Service Please.:D

It has happened more than once. Also, we have room service for breakfast quite a bit and the menu can disappear in a heart beat. One time we got 4 of eveything we ordered. The little devils just changed the 1 to a 4. :D

This does not happen very often. Just think your cabin steward sees you leaving almost everyday, two or three times a day. If they wanted to check your stuff out - they certainly have plenty of time to do this.

I have never, ever had anything taken from our cabin. Not even the change that we just drop on the desk or table.
We also use the safe for all valuables.

Please do not put a door stopper in your door - the consequences could be very serious. The bottle idea is pretty good tho. But I think that might scare me more than just the quick knock and entry.:eek:

FYI....if you shower with the door open, or open the door after a warm steamy shower it will set off an alarm and staff WILL come and check to make sure there isn't a fire. Evidently the detector can't distinguish between steam and smoke. happened to my folks last month on Island Princess right after my mom had taken her shower.

Did you happen to talk to your neighbors that complained to validate that it was them that called in a complaint? I would have. then I would have apologized if my TV was too loud.

Who knows what they said. They could have told whomever that you were out of your cabin and that you left your TV on blaring loud and they couldnt sleep. They could have said anything for that matter that would have made them investigate.

Im sure they have to have access even if you had things bolted, etc. Heaven forbid you became ill inside the cabin alone or fallen, and were not able to reach the door.

Just a thought.

[quote name='jrobinso']FYI....if you shower with the door open, or open the door after a warm steamy shower it will set off an alarm and staff WILL come and check to make sure there isn't a fire. Evidently the detector can't distinguish between steam and smoke. happened to my folks last month on Island Princess right after my mom had taken her shower.[/quote]

Does that count if you don't have a shower door and the curtain is stuck to you ****. :D

Notice that there are 4 *'s not 3. ;)

Keith, I made sure I didn't open the bathroom door until all the steam was gone...I didn't want any sudden visits from crew... Having the curtain stuck to you might cause a temporary delay in opening the bathroom door too soon, so maybe it was designed that way on purpose....!!!!!! Mystery solved.

The fact that it was not your cabin steward, and he entered on a flimsy excuse which could have been dealt with by a phone call from the purser's desk, makes me very suspicious that there was something else going on by a crew member who may well have been up to no good.

[quote name='caribill']Whenever we are both in the cabin, we lock the door. Prevents unwanted entry even if the "do not disturb" sign is ignored.[/quote]

As previously noted, your room steward can override the interior door lock. If you do not want to be disturbed, it is best to put out the Privacy card.

Archived