Golden Princess & obstructed views

ChiBearsSuperFan

We are booking this ship for Alaska in 2009. We are curious, how obstructed are the ocean view staterooms? I see that a vast majority of the ocean view staterooms are in categories listed as obstructed but wonder if one category is worse than another. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be great too. Thanks!

Almost all of the obstructions are the lifeboats, so it is usually fully obstructed as the room description says. However, the rooms on the deckplan between the lifeboats generally have at least a peek at the water to one side or the other around the davits; sometimes much more than that. Search webshots for "princess obtructed' and you will see several rooms that have a reasonable glimpse. But a room directly behind a lifeboat is generally a large orange wall. Your window provides indirect sunshine, but no view.

We had E401 recently on starboard side immediately aft of the lifeboat. What we had was some kind of a platform outside our window that related to the inflatable liferafts so it wasn't to obtrusive at all. We have always had balconies in the past and agreed that this cabin was not to bad for a short cruise or one where there wasn't much scenery involved.

This is the view from cabin E231 on the Golden - from the deck plan you can see that the cabin is between lifeboats.

Looking to the right:

2404158320072199887S425x425Q85.jpg

We have had views similar.........and the views over the lifeboats are like Marie-Claude's photo. But, if you have a tender.......they are the larger boats in the line of lifeboats.......you will not be able to see over them like this photo.

We stayed in a cabin on the Sapphire that was advertised as being fully obstructed and it really was fully obstructed. We were in E605 and staired straight into the center of one of the large lifeboats... We knew that going in and it didn't bother us one bit. That cabin category was heavily discounted on our cruise and we went for it because we knew there would still be plenty of natural light... which there was. Having some natural light in the room was what attracted us to the cabin for about the same price as an inside cabin.

When we wanted to watch the world go by, we just walked down a deck and sat out on one of the lounge chairs on the promenade deck. In fact in the morning after about half the cruise went by, we would get up and open the curtains and start laughing as we commented that it was nice to see Lifeboat 17 was still there.

If you get a chance to look at the deck plans in the cruise brochure, they do seem to give a pretty accurate depiction of which rooms are directly behind a lifeboat... at least in our case it was dead on.

Dave

• 11 months later...

Did you stay in room E408 EMERALD DECK-(Partial Obstructed view) on the GOLDEN PRINCESS?

Was the view very Obstructed?

We have a cruise planned in this room and wonder if we should upgrade.

Thanks for help from anyone with information.

I am looking into cruising on the Golden in the future and trying to also figure out if any of these are a really a bad view or ok view. E 607,E 416,417,418,419. I know people say look at the deck plans,but I am trying to see an actual photo of any of these rooms, any out there?

I was on the Golden last year and had an obstructed view room that wasn't all that bad. It was quite a bargain.

However be aware that some of the rooms are behind the giant lifeboats. There are two sizes of lifeboats. If you are behind the smaller ones then you can see over the tops. If you are behind one of the Giant ones then it is possible that you can't see anything. In general the lower the category the worse the views get. We had a cat GG. personally I would not take a room cat below that one as they can get very obstructed.

our view was something like the first picture here. The view is partially blocked looking down by the lifeboat and up by the balconies of the cabins above you. The second picture shows the worst possible outcome. In this case think of your room as an inside room with just hints of the outside world.

The last picture shows the backside of the Golden. You don't want to be in back of those larger lifeboats with the higher - white tops (positions 2 through 4 from the back)

partial_obstruct.jpg.a2080f4e8806963f74c03bd7da7195ff.jpg

fully_onstruct.JPG.2210337b6a1781643c0a698efcbabc59.JPG

Golden_backside.jpg.131cf177d48194a0305f762750c7cac0.jpg

I was on the Golden last year and had an obstructed view room that wasn't all that bad. It was quite a bargain.

However be aware that some of the rooms are behind the giant lifeboats. There are two sizes of lifeboats. If you are behind the smaller ones then you can see over the tops. If you are behind one of the Giant ones then it is possible that you can't see anything. In general the lower the category the worse the views get. We had a cat GG. personally I would not take a room cat below that one as they can get very obstructed.

our view was something like the first picture here. The view is partially blocked looking down by the lifeboat and up by the balconies of the cabins above you. The second picture shows the worst possible outcome. In this case think of your room as an inside room with just hints of the outside world.

The last picture shows the backside of the Golden. You don't want to be in back of those larger lifeboats with the higher - white tops (positions 2 through 4 from the back)

So what room # is this in the 1st photo on the Golden? I know you said what category but not the room #.:) Thanks. That is a view I could handle and pay for.

For what it's worth I was in room E-702 (cat GG). We also traveled with someone in romm E-704 which was similar.

Check out the Golden ship deck plans on this site and others. They are accurate. Just avoid those large lifeboats (2-4 counting from the back).

here's a link to the Golden Emerald Deck:

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do;jsessionid=004BED6F44DCBE43C4AEE98599F6F891.p0738?shipId=113&deckId=606

Arizona person; I know you want to know what the view over the little zodiac boat looks like, but I could not find any pictures from any Grand class ship online showing the view from the inside. The closest I could find was this view from the outside. I figure if you can see the window, then it's a good enough view. The best rooms according to this picture are E416/417 then E420/421 (not on your list) followed by E418/419.

Golden Princess visits Rotterdam

E607 is at the end of one of the large tenders, so will have a view one direction at least, and be blocked by the height of the tender in the other. This pic is the window from E517 (and E515 to the right) which is the exact same relative location as E607, but is adjacent to the next tender in front (# 17 vs. #19).

137595226eaTuGT_th.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am also considering the Golden Princess and need three staterooms. They should be nearby but don't need to be adjacent. E627-E63 are still available.

According to what you are saying 631 and E633 should have adequate views. Is that correct? Has anyone been in these staterooms?

Any help would be great. Most of my party are first time cruisers and I want them to have an enjoyable experience.

Archived