WALKING to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal?

ErikaBeMe79

The best thing you can do is book one room for three people and one room for two people. You may pay a little more, but you will have leverage to get two beds in one of the rooms.

Another trick is to call the hotel ahead of time to block out your rooms and get the name of the person you speak to. I usually do this and over the years it has only failed once - one of our kids ended up sleeping on sofa cushions on the floor. Fortunately it was a Marriott and when I complained to the manager the next day, we were comp'd the room.

Cool. Good tips!

I'm also checking out VRBO for 2-br rentals.

Any ideas on where to park luggage for a few hours if we want to do the Intrepid Museum next door to the cruise port? Seems like it would be ideal to use that morning for the museum, but once we get there we won't want to have to leave and go far away to get our luggage.

Schwartz Travel on West 36th St.

Thanks. That's an option but it's a bit of a walk from Intrepid. The thought was to taxi in the morning of cruise day (probably from a cheaper hotel by the Newark airport) with our luggage, store it nearby the Intrepid/cruise port, tour the Intrepid maybe 10am-1pm, grab our bags and walk next door to embark.

The cruise port website says they have no luggage storage. Can't find anything about it on the Intrepid website. There's a few hotels 3-4 blocks away I might check with.

Anyone know what time the cruise terminal starts accepting bags for check-in for a 4pm departure? If it's early enough maybe we could drop our bags, go next door to Intrepid for a few hours, then go check ourselves in?

It sounds like you are completely rethinking your trip if you are talking about staying for three days at Newark Airport. Please be aware that you should be selective about your hotel - a cheap hotel at the airport can be a really "cheap" hotel. It can be expensive to run in and out of NY from the airport - a balance of time, money, and stress. Train is $25/pp rt. To reduce your costs you can take a local bus to Newark Penn Station and train into NYC for $5/pp each way but it will take well over an hour to do this.

The New Yorkers can tell you about dropping luggage off early at the pier. I believe the Intrepid has a strict security policy, so you have to be sure you drop off enough stuff at the pier so you can gain admission to the Intrepid.

Any ideas on where to park luggage for a few hours if we want to do the Intrepid Museum next door to the cruise port? Seems like it would be ideal to use that morning for the museum, but once we get there we won't want to have to leave and go far away to get our luggage.

Many cruisers do the museum before the cruise. You drop luggage with porters at the terminal ( they are there very early ) and walk to the museum. You visit and walk back to the pier and do the line for security...as easy as that !!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

A hotel I have use a few times as a pre-cruise stay is the Travell Inn which is very close to cruise terminal. It's a good 3 star budget hotel. Very clean, fast and friendly staff, right across a police station...so safety should not be an issue ;)

It's a few blocks from Times Square...in my case I always drive to NYC and it is the only hotel in Manhattan that includes parking at no cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Dropping the bags off in front of the pier (curbside) with the porters and checking in are separate - porters won't be checking your eDocs, only with a reminder sometimes to take your valuables, essentials & medications with you - and that your bags are tagged for the ship/pier used, and they will load them into those huge metal caged carts.

We sailed the Splendor & it was docked at Pier 90, the Breakaway was using 88 and we had leisure disembarkation around 10 AM after 8 AM arrival, and noticed that porters had already accepted checked luggage outside for both ships.

SDC10299.JPG

OP should be able to drop the bags off at 9:45 or 10 AM, maybe even at 9:30AM and then walk a few easy blocks to the Intrepid for a visit first, then return to do the check-in after 1 PM. The cutoff is 90 min. before 4 PM sailaway time - the cabins are usually ready by 1:30 PM so the buffet will not be as crowded as folks will be working their way to the various decks by the time OP get onto the gangway. The safety drill was scheduled for 3:30 PM for us and various services were stopped - should be sufficient time to get a late lunch & settled in the cabin first. Besides, early seating for dinner is 6 PM.

Edited by mking8288

It sounds like you are completely rethinking your trip if you are talking about staying for three days at Newark Airport. Please be aware that you should be selective about your hotel - a cheap hotel at the airport can be a really "cheap" hotel. It can be expensive to run in and out of NY from the airport - a balance of time, money, and stress. Train is $25/pp rt. To reduce your costs you can take a local bus to Newark Penn Station and train into NYC for $5/pp each way but it will take well over an hour to do this.

The New Yorkers can tell you about dropping luggage off early at the pier. I believe the Intrepid has a strict security policy, so you have to be sure you drop off enough stuff at the pier so you can gain admission to the Intrepid.

Yes, rearranging it a bit. Now we're thinking flying in just one day early to Newark, and then staying 2 nights on the back end in Manhattan.

I'm finding various airport hotels for $100-$120, Best Western, Holiday Inn, Ramada, etc. Should be fair enough for a single night. Flying in from Colorado means arriving in the evening so it's really a dead day anyway. Don't need anything fancy. But for the 2 nights on the end we'll probably look for something a little nicer.

Thanks for the tips!

Dropping the bags off in front of the pier (curbside) with the porters and checking in are separate - porters won't be checking your eDocs, only with a reminder sometimes to take your valuables, essentials & medications with you - and that your bags are tagged for the ship/pier used, and they will load them into those huge metal caged carts.

We sailed the Splendor & it was docked at Pier 90, the Breakaway was using 88 and we had leisure disembarkation around 10 AM after 8 AM arrival, and noticed that porters had already accepted checked luggage outside for both ships.

SDC10299.JPG

OP should be able to drop the bags off at 9:45 or 10 AM, maybe even at 9:30AM and then walk a few easy blocks to the Intrepid for a visit first, then return to do the check-in after 1 PM. The cutoff is 90 min. before 4 PM sailaway time - the cabins are usually ready by 1:30 PM so the buffet will not be as crowded as folks will be working their way to the various decks by the time OP get onto the gangway. The safety drill was scheduled for 3:30 PM for us and various services were stopped - should be sufficient time to get a late lunch & settled in the cabin first. Besides, early seating for dinner is 6 PM.

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for! A big thank you to you and the others. That should be perfect!

If you're considering two rooms, look at the Courtyard Elizabeth where you can get a room with two double beds and a sleep sofa for $179. This is located next to Jersey Gardens Mall where you could have a destination in the evening.

Generally we don't recommend the Best Western because of its location at the airport. The Ramada would be fine - it has a good sports bar in the hotel. Don't know much about the Holiday Inn - I think it has been recently refurbished.

• 2 weeks later...

Found another option that looks like an option for getting to or from EWR a cheaper ($16 pp each way) than a private car or taxi...

http://coachusa1.reachlocal.net/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Seems like most reviewers on TA seem to like them.

They stop closer to the cruise port than the Air Train gets (without transfers), but it's still almost a mile walk to the cruise port. The coach above stops at Port Authority bus terminal, while the train stops at Penn Station (8 blocks further away from the cruise port).

Anyone know how the walk is from PA bus terminal to the cruise port? Looks like maybe a 15 minute walk (which we're OK with - a little exercise is good), but what about dragging wheeled luggage that whole way? Are the sidewalks/intersections flat/unobstructed for wheeling luggage around? Will people look at us funny, or is it pretty common for people to drag luggage around there? Is it a pretty safe neighborhood (daytime)? Looks like a pretty easy shot from the terminal down 42nd Street to the water (12th Ave) and then up a few blocks to the cruise port. And if we didn't feel like walking that day, a taxi looks like maybe $10-$12 to go that 1 mile.

If you're considering two rooms, look at the Courtyard Elizabeth where you can get a room with two double beds and a sleep sofa for $179. This is located next to Jersey Gardens Mall where you could have a destination in the evening.

Generally we don't recommend the Best Western because of its location at the airport. The Ramada would be fine - it has a good sports bar in the hotel. Don't know much about the Holiday Inn - I think it has been recently refurbished.

Thanks. While I know it's a cruddier hotel, I booked 2 rooms the EWR HoJo at half the price ($78/room + tax). 3 in a room is an option if it saves much but for the same price (actually a bit less) 2 rooms (just as importantly - 2 bathrooms) is preferable. If we were staying multiple nights before the cruise we'd look for something nicer but all we're doing on the front end is flying in that evening, sleeping, and heading to the port in the morning. As long as the room is clean and functional that's all we need for the 1 night.

I'm still looking at rooms for 2 nights in Manhattan after the cruise though. I found The Element for $238/ni. That's a better rate than most I've seen for Oct 11/12. Still hoping to find better but it's a starting point.

Sorry to hear you booked the HoJo. That is definitely one of the hotels we do not recommend. But at least you know in advance it will be a "cruddier" hotel.

That doesn't sound too promising. How cruddy is it? I know it's not going to be nearly as nice when it's that much cheaper than other hotels around, but are the rooms at least clean/functional as far as you know? For the one short night, we don't really care about amenities/restaurants. Just a clean/functional private room for a quick night before we get onto the ship for a week the next day. But I reserved refundable rooms if we find something better.

TA reviews are mixed, but most seem to say that it's OK enough, and that the free shuttle to/from the airport they provide is pretty good.

That doesn't sound too promising. How cruddy is it? I know it's not going to be nearly as nice when it's that much cheaper than other hotels around, but are the rooms at least clean/functional as far as you know? For the one short night, we don't really care about amenities/restaurants. Just a clean/functional private room for a quick night before we get onto the ship for a week the next day. But I reserved refundable rooms if we find something better.

TA reviews are mixed, but most seem to say that it's OK enough, and that the free shuttle to/from the airport they provide is pretty good.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a hotel in the EWR area that doesn't offer a free shuttle to/from the airport, so that's the last thing that should factor into your decision.

Perhaps others will comment about this hotel. I understand where you're coming from - I've stayed in a HoJo in New Brunswick and it was marginal but necessary at the time.

However, I'd still rather see you pony up a little more money and get the suite at the Courtyard Eilzabeth and deal with only one bathroom. There is also a 3.5* hotel on Hotwire for 10/3 for $87 for 3 people. You could book two rooms to get your beds. I can't tell what hotel that will be, but it will definitely be a cut way above HoJo's. Holiday Inn would be a possibility.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a hotel in the EWR area that doesn't offer a free shuttle to/from the airport, so that's the last thing that should factor into your decision.

Oh I understand that most hotels around the airport (any airport, for that matter) have free shuttles, although it's not always 100%. And some are really undependable, or frequently fill up.

It was just one of those things that I would have eliminated them for if they DIDN'T have a dependable airport shuttle.

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this question but here goes. Can you use Carnival Airport transfer (which is only $30) if you fly in the day before?

Meaning I would shuttle back to the Airport to catch Carnival transportation to port. Does that sound feasible?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Thanks you're right I'm not in the right thread. I just thought I could use the cheaper Carnival transfer from the airport to the port. Flying in a day earlier and then returning to the airport (on the day of the cruise) just for the purpose of getting the Carnival transportation.

Anyway I'll post this in Carnival.

Thanks you're right I'm not in the right thread. I just thought I could use the cheaper Carnival transfer from the airport to the port. Flying in a day earlier and then returning to the airport (on the day of the cruise) just for the purpose of getting the Carnival transportation.

Anyway I'll post this in Carnival.

That's may not be a bad idea, if they let you. I suspect they require flight information and base the timing of the transfer on that, so not sure if they'd allow that or not. Possibly though.

If you're traveling solo, that would clearly be cheaper (use free hotel shuttle (plus small tip) back to the airport, and catch the Carnival transfer bus for $30 direct to the cruise port). Compare that to about $70 (fare+toll+tip) for a private car hire direct from hotel to cruise port.

For 2 people, it's about a wash. For 3 people (like we'll have), the private car hire is cheaper since that Carnival transfer is a per-person price. And the private car is more convenient (and comfortable) since it's a straight shot (i.e. no return to the airport for the transfer, which adds delays and lugging bags around).

I'd only consider the Carnival airport transfer if traveling solo.

• 2 years later...

This Thread is pretty old, but it contains exactly the info i was looking for. We're taking the Gem in January 2017 but are flying into LGA the day before, renting a car and driving out to visit a friend in Connecticut for the night, then coming back in the next day to board the cruise at the NY Manhattan Port. So, maybe some of you will be able to guide me a bit as I have only been in NYC a few times.

Our plan is to rent car at Airport, drop car at enterprise at corner of 48th & 11th... 1 block from pier 88. Then walk the 1 block (yes, it will be cold, but we're from Chicago ;) ), cross the street go into the pier right there as someone said the Fences on the ground level will be open on a sailing day. Enterprise has a $50 surcharge (drop fee) for dropping the car at this local office and not back at the airport. The alternative i guess would be... cost of renting and returning the car at the airport is $50 less but then need a cab (plus my time) would end up to be about the same.

I guess I am just asking for confirmation... does the plan to rent the car and drop it off by the pier and walk sound like the best option?

Also, do they still allow folks to drop luggage at the pier and then walk away to go to the intrepid for a couple hours then come back?

Anyway, I just also want to thank the posters here for all the great info they provided since way back. This Thread is golden and to the point, which is what i would expect from New Yorker's. :)

This Thread is pretty old, but it contains exactly the info i was looking for. We're taking the Gem in January 2017 but are flying into LGA the day before, renting a car and driving out to visit a friend in Connecticut for the night, then coming back in the next day to board the cruise at the NY Manhattan Port. So, maybe some of you will be able to guide me a bit as I have only been in NYC a few times.

Our plan is to rent car at Airport, drop car at enterprise at corner of 48th & 11th... 1 block from pier 88. Then walk the 1 block (yes, it will be cold, but we're from Chicago ;) ), cross the street go into the pier right there as someone said the Fences on the ground level will be open on a sailing day. Enterprise has a $50 surcharge (drop fee) for dropping the car at this local office and not back at the airport. The alternative i guess would be... cost of renting and returning the car at the airport is $50 less but then need a cab (plus my time) would end up to be about the same.

I guess I am just asking for confirmation... does the plan to rent the car and drop it off by the pier and walk sound like the best option?

Also, do they still allow folks to drop luggage at the pier and then walk away to go to the intrepid for a couple hours then come back?

Anyway, I just also want to thank the posters here for all the great info they provided since way back. This Thread is golden and to the point, which is what i would expect from New Yorker's. :)

I'm not a Manhattan Cruiseport expert. However, I can comment on your high level plan. It makes no sense to drop the car at LGA because you will spend more on tolls to get there and a cab to return to Manhattan. What day of the week will you be doing this? What does Enterprise charge for EZ Pass? Do you have the cars only directions through Westchester County directly to the Manhattan Cruiseport?

I would plan to drop your luggage first and then return the car. I haven't seen any posts that indicate this is not allowed. If you want to see the Intrepid, you can just walk back there from Enterprise. Intrepid encourages manageable bags and appropriate shoes, so you probably want to keep your carryons to a minimum - http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Visitor-Tips-and-Guidelines