WALKING to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal?

ErikaBeMe79

This Thread is pretty old, but it contains exactly the info i was looking for. We're taking the Gem in January 2017 but are flying into LGA the day before, renting a car and driving out to visit a friend in Connecticut for the night, then coming back in the next day to board the cruise at the NY Manhattan Port. So, maybe some of you will be able to guide me a bit as I have only been in NYC a few times.

Our plan is to rent car at Airport, drop car at enterprise at corner of 48th & 11th... 1 block from pier 88. Then walk the 1 block (yes, it will be cold, but we're from Chicago ;) ), cross the street go into the pier right there as someone said the Fences on the ground level will be open on a sailing day. Enterprise has a $50 surcharge (drop fee) for dropping the car at this local office and not back at the airport. The alternative i guess would be... cost of renting and returning the car at the airport is $50 less but then need a cab (plus my time) would end up to be about the same.

I guess I am just asking for confirmation... does the plan to rent the car and drop it off by the pier and walk sound like the best option?

Also, do they still allow folks to drop luggage at the pier and then walk away to go to the intrepid for a couple hours then come back?

Anyway, I just also want to thank the posters here for all the great info they provided since way back. This Thread is golden and to the point, which is what i would expect from New Yorker's. :)

Your plan will work, but you might want to make a slight modification so you don't have to walk from the car rental office to the cruise pier with all your luggage in tow.

Drive into the cruise terminal entrance at 55th St. and 12 Ave. Proceed to drive up the ramp one level above the street to the passenger drop off area for your ship (don't go up to the parking lot level!). Drop your checked baggage there with one of the porters (keep your carry ons with tickets, passports valuables, etc.), get back in the car, exit the cruise terminal and then drop the car at the rental agency office. Walk from the rental office to the Intrepid. (Note...you can't take anything very big onto the Intrepid, so limit the size of your carry on).

Note: I see that while I was typing Carol was posting pretty much the same advice.

Edited by njhorseman

This Thread is pretty old, but it contains exactly the info i was looking for. We're taking the Gem in January 2017 but are flying into LGA the day before, renting a car and driving out to visit a friend in Connecticut for the night, then coming back in the next day to board the cruise at the NY Manhattan Port. So, maybe some of you will be able to guide me a bit as I have only been in NYC a few times.

Our plan is to rent car at Airport, drop car at enterprise at corner of 48th & 11th... 1 block from pier 88. Then walk the 1 block (yes, it will be cold, but we're from Chicago ;) ), cross the street go into the pier right there as someone said the Fences on the ground level will be open on a sailing day. Enterprise has a $50 surcharge (drop fee) for dropping the car at this local office and not back at the airport. The alternative i guess would be... cost of renting and returning the car at the airport is $50 less but then need a cab (plus my time) would end up to be about the same.

I guess I am just asking for confirmation... does the plan to rent the car and drop it off by the pier and walk sound like the best option?

Also, do they still allow folks to drop luggage at the pier and then walk away to go to the intrepid for a couple hours then come back?

Anyway, I just also want to thank the posters here for all the great info they provided since way back. This Thread is golden and to the point, which is what i would expect from New Yorker's. :)

fraidknot ~

Excellent advice given by 138east & njhorseman. But I'll just throw out an alternative for your consideration:

Instead of renting a car (which will entail a lot of driving in the city, in heavy traffic, on unfamiliar roads and highways both in NYC and in Connecticut, in addition to the issues you raise re. returning the car), you might consider taking a cab from the airport to Grand Central Terminal and taking a Metro-North train from there to Connecticut. (This assumes that your friends live near a station on the Metro-North New Haven line, which will be the case if they're in Fairfield County.)

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

On your return to New York, it will be a fairly quick cab ride from Grand Central to Pier 88, and then a short walk from Pier 88 to the Intrepid (Pier 86).

Along with the previous post recommendation, consider the NYC Airporter. It is $15 pp to Grand Central Station from Laguardia. I've used them a number of times between airports or getting into Manhattan.

You should be able to check your luggage at the terminal, unless you get there before the porters do.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

... We're taking the Gem in January 2017 but are flying into LGA the day before, renting a car and driving out to visit a friend in Connecticut for the night, then coming back in the next day to board the cruise at the NY Manhattan Port. I guess I am just asking for confirmation... does the plan to rent the car and drop it off by the pier and walk sound like the best option? Also, do they still allow folks to drop luggage at the pier and then walk away to go to the intrepid for a couple hours then come back? ...

138east & NJH offered theirs excellent ideas already ... are you flying into LGA on a weekday or weekend; GEM is doing longer Caribbean itinerary as an early Sunday or Saturday drive from CT to NY is usually much, much better with fewer traffic flow.

Windy City folks are good driving in NY's winter and Waze is your best friend dodging traffic & find the fastest/best route to navigate to your destination, and set it to avoid toll. Where is your approximate destination up in CT - close to I-95 or the Merritt Parkway, or further north toward I-84 or east of Hartford, etc. If you drive south back to NY on the early morning of your cruise (unless it's a weekday) - traffic is usually light enough, even with commercial & bus traffic on I-95 and you can take that into the Bronx & down the West Side Highway to the Manhattan pier - thus, avoid the all EZ-Pass toll crossing on the Hudson River (the one the 138east/Carol refer to).

Hertz's charges for using their PlatePass (for electronic toll) is crazy high & that will not save you any money - check to see if Enterprise has one & their charges, as you really don't need it, I think. From LGA, once in your rental car - go east & take the Bronx Whitestone Bridge & stay left (after the toll, stay to your right to use the cash lanes) for the Hutchinson River Parkway (no commercial traffic) (3 lanes become 2 lanes outside the city line - Bronx & Westechester) to CT and there are no tolls (I-95 North has a toll in New Rochelle but you can use the cash lanes, keep right ... none southbound toward NYC) If you can use I-95 & leave early, that can get into to MCT pier toll-less, or, swing across Westchester - we can spell out the options once we have more details from you. I've done a # of early morning runs across the Bronx, mostly for NJ via the George Wash. Bridge on weekends & it's smooth & easy with minimal traffic, as long as you are done before 9 or 10 AM. Weekday, it's a horror show starting as early as 6 AM so forgetabout it.

Once you make your way with the help of Waze (otherwise, use Google Map/Navigation) to the pier, keep left as your approach for the ramp to go up, etc. as described above - drop off your luggage. Again, if you are there at 8 or 8:30 AM, porters should be outside already - do it quickly & unload, dropoff the luggage/tip them (hopefully, security won't chase you to drive away - with just one ship docked there). Then, down at the end of the elevated ramp & continue to dropoff the car rental. Otherwise, you drive & have spouse/others stay & take care of the checked luggage - they can walk/go downstairs & walk south, straight on 12th Avenue & meet up in front of the Intrepid A&S.

Thinking about sailing on the Gem in feb. or March...would take a train into penn station the day before. Any ideas on a hotel that would be convenient to that and the port? Meaning, not having to travel too far from Penn or to the port the next day? Any hotels offer shuttles? Thanks!

Thinking about sailing on the Gem in feb. or March...would take a train into penn station the day before. Any ideas on a hotel that would be convenient to that and the port? Meaning, not having to travel too far from Penn or to the port the next day? Any hotels offer shuttles? Thanks!

There are no port shuttles from Manhattan hotels to the Manhattan Cruiseport. You have to take a cab.

What is your hotel budget?

The exact date you will need a hotel is super important. Manhattan hotels are more expensive Sun-Thur because of business travelers. Prices can be particularly good on a Fri-Sat in January. If you pick a hotel in midtown west of 5th Ave between 30th and 59th St, your cab costs should be no more than $10-15/ride.

The La Quinta on W 32nd St is a favorite of one of our posters. Holiday Inn Express and Fairfield Inn have also been mentioned. Here's a thread about a hotel right at Penn Station that is NOT recommended - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2417005&page=2&highlight=Hotel+pennsylvania.

When you have an exact date, post back for hotel suggestions.

Comfort Inn Midtown West on West 48th St. is literally a stone's throw from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Breakfast is included in the room rate. My son and daughter-in-law have stayed there and said it's perfectly satisfactory for a one or two night stay. Taxi fare from Penn Station to the hotel should be in the $12 to $15 range. Just walk from the hotel to the cruise pier on embarkation day.

https://www.choicehotels.com/new-york/new-york/comfort-inn-hotels/ny548

Edited by njhorseman

We would be overnight in NY on sat. March 18.

Comfort Inn would be $273 ($321 with tax) for your date. IMO that's a lot to pay on a weekend to be in that out of the way location.

What airport are you flying in to?

You will almost always do better with a downtown Manhattan hotel on the weekend. I'd look at booking a cancellable hotel now and keep checking prices for 3/18.

Now flying into laguardia. Was originally going to take the train, but this flight cost the same. I booked the LaQuinta for $152, because it was near Penn, but still seems like a good location and price. Thoughts? Thanks!

Sounds good to me. Better than being near Penn Station is being near Macy's!

Wow, I've been slammed at work for a bit and the holidays so I didn't check back here for a while. Thank you all for such fantastic insight and ideas.

To answer some questions... were arriving on a Friday mid day, going to Avon CT (west of Hartford), and the ship leaves the port Saturday afternoon. I know there will be a bit of driving and maybe more effort than some might want, but seeing our old friends new baby will make it worth it. I wonder if I could bring my iPass from IL for tolls? As a Chicagoan, traffic is an expectation everywhere and an opportunity to show off our superior skills :D

Still working on plans but got getting very excited for this trip!

Wow, I've been slammed at work for a bit and the holidays so I didn't check back here for a while. Thank you all for such fantastic insight and ideas.

To answer some questions... were arriving on a Friday mid day, going to Avon CT (west of Hartford), and the ship leaves the port Saturday afternoon. I know there will be a bit of driving and maybe more effort than some might want, but seeing our old friends new baby will make it worth it. I wonder if I could bring my iPass from IL for tolls? As a Chicagoan, traffic is an expectation everywhere and an opportunity to show off our superior skills :D

Still working on plans but got getting very excited for this trip!

Yes, your iPass is compatible with EZ-Pass in our region, no need to register - just bring it along & mount it on the rental car (Hertz usually has theirs PlatePass inside the box, leave it there or better yet, put the entire box inside the glove box) using the velco mount already there.

https://www.illinoistollway.com/tolling-information/about-ipass#Using%20Your%20I-PASS%20on%20Other%20Toll%20Roads

To simplify transfer of our EZ-Pass, we use this mount - very sturdy & get rid of using those velco, even on the primary vehicle - http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-PASS-I-PASS-I-ZOOM-HOLDER-NEW-MINI-TAG-HOLDER-eZpassClip-BLACK-/152354842498?hash=item23790e6782

Waze is your best Nav friend in the rental car - if you can get on the road by early afternoon, drive up the Hutchinson River Parkway & avoid all the commercial parkway on I-95 - take either the Merritt Parkway CT-15N or further north & then I-84 E ... looks like a 2.5 hour drive this late afternoon.

Edited by mking8288

Holding it up is fine when there's a real toll booth, but in places where they've done away with toll booths (Massachusetts, Henry Hudson Bridge in NYC, and soon everywhere else in NY) you don't always know when you're going through a toll gate. You have to stick 'em up there somehow!