Do you find the ship's photographers pesky?

2Oregonians

Take photographs of them. Freaks them out.

One of my favorite cruise pictures was a shot I took in the Panama Canal when our ship's photographers were walking across the lock to position themselves to photograph everyone as we sailed through. The look on one particular photographer's face (actually his entire body) said everything; he was NOT comfortable. I told him about the photo and sent him a copy. He told me it was his first time to walk across the locks, and he WAS terrified.

Back on topic...we just say "no, thanks" to the photos as we step off in port or during dinner. (You don't really want to get between me and my grilled veggie salad do you???) Any others, like embarkation or outside the dining room...we just smile. Overall, I don't find it too intrusive.

We never buy ship's photos, they look so cheezy compare to our own photos (and expensive!). After a couple of polite, but firm "No, thanks", they usually leave us alone. :)

I just say "No thank you", and continue on my way.

I agree – a simple “no thank you” suffices. The photographers don’t want to spend time with a passenger trying to get a picture if the passenger doesn’t want it.

I don’t find photographers pesky. They are simply doing their job and there are enough passengers who do appreciate the pictures to make their efforts worthwhile. I don’t see any reason to play games with them or to try to come up with some way to make it difficult for them. They don’t want passengers to be unhappy and “no thank you” should be totally effective if you’re not interested.

It’s unfortunate that some people feel inconvenienced by the photographers. They are simply doing their job and following their directive. If there are issues with the way they follow that directive, note should be made on comment cards – messing with the photographer will not change the cruise line policy. I’ve found that like all other crew members, if you treat the photographers with a little humanity, they will treat you the same.

I agree – a simple “no thank you” suffices. The photographers don’t want to spend time with a passenger trying to get a picture if the passenger doesn’t want it.

I don’t find photographers pesky. They are simply doing their job and there are enough passengers who do appreciate the pictures to make their efforts worthwhile. I don’t see any reason to play games with them or to try to come up with some way to make it difficult for them. They don’t want passengers to be unhappy and “no thank you” should be totally effective if you’re not interested.

It’s unfortunate that some people feel inconvenienced by the photographers. They are simply doing their job and following their directive. If there are issues with the way they follow that directive, note should be made on comment cards – messing with the photographer will not change the cruise line policy. I’ve found that like all other crew members, if you treat the photographers with a little humanity, they will treat you the same.

Thank you Brian.....a bit of fresh air feels good:)

On our recent trans-Atlantic on the Emerald, we thought the photographers were a lot less pesky than we've seen on other cruises. They didn't even stick around at the gang plank for over an hour or two in port. Some people even commented that they got off ship late a couple of mornings and didn't see any photographers around. Nice change of pace.

I agree with some of the other posters - if we don't want pictures made we've found a simple "No Thanks" works quite well.

No I don't find the ships photographers pesky. Their only doing their job and afterall it IS only a quick snapshot. But what gets me is why some pax feel the need to be extremely rude to them. On our last cruise we witnessed a man just "loosing it" on one of the photographers. Totally uncalled for & totally wrong.

Compared to Carnival , Princess wasn't a problem at all. We let them take as many as they wanted and only bought a couple. . Remember they have a job to do, so if you don't want your picture taken just politely say No Thank You and if that doesn't work , threaten to throw them over board!!! HaHa... I do agree, that when you are having dinner it is bit of a nuisence. I don't like having to buy an 8x10 before you can get a smaller size. I also think they are way overpriced!!!

WOW - you have to buy an 8x10 first?? That stinks. We've only been on one other cruise (NCL almost 20 years ago) but I really don't remember them being a pest and I really did like having nice photos of DH and I that we didn't have to stop someone to ask if they would take one.

Guest arowe6

I found them very annoying to the point of almost being funny. It became almost a joke to us. There was a point where I would burst out laughing anytime they asked for a picture. :p

-Andrew

I'm glad you brought this subject up and the answer is yes, I found

the photographers on our last cruise to be absolutely pushy, pushy, pushy.

Since we've been on a lot of cruises, we don't want our photgraphs taken

anymore, and what we really resented was the embarkation photo, since

how many of these photos does one really need? And we'd all been in

some lengthy lines, and if not for the photographers, people would have

been on the ship a lot quicker. We were in the first groups to board

the ship and there was quite a substantial line for embarkation photos

and they don't give you a choice either ... so some passengers were

actually hopping the rope and circumventing the whole procedure; rude behaviour, yes, but rude is as rude does.

We did not hop the rope

The other experience was very annoying at Princess Cays. They were stopping people on the bridge which leads to the cabana area, and it was

damned hot out there, so I thought that was pretty tacky, considering

they didn't do that back in 2003.

And then the last annoying photographic experience was when we got

out of the water and I had salt burning my eyes and the photographer

was chasing me down, "Miss, miss, take a picture." and that was the

last straw for me --

Who in their right mind would want an unflattering picture of themselves

with burning salty eyes???:confused:

On other Princess cruises we were never assaulted like we were during

this particular cruise. BTW -- a polite "No thank you" didn't seem to

work so well during Princess Cays day. They were simply rabid that

day.

On our last cruise we witnessed a man just "loosing it" on one of the photographers. Totally uncalled for & totally wrong.
Were you on Golden Princess with me last month? I saw the same thing - the passenger was totally brutal to one of the photographers - she, however, kept her cool and was very professional.

Again, its unfortunate that some people feel the photographers are pushy or in the way, but the complaint should go to Princess, not the person just trying to do their job.

Were you on Golden Princess with me last month? I saw the same thing - the passenger was totally brutal to one of the photographers - she, however, kept her cool and was very professional.

I wish I could say I was!! Here I am thinking that the pax incident was just a one off...but guess I was wrong & there's alot more of them out there.

Again, its unfortunate that some people feel the photographers are pushy or in the way, but the complaint should go to Princess, not the person just trying to do their job.

Exactly!

I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts on the matter. We haven't cruised since 1999, so I'm wondering if the photographers are as present now as they were then. It seemed like every little event had a photographer lurking about. If you don't want your picture taken, does the photographer try to talk you into it after you politely say no? How have you handled this situation? Remember... friendly discussion! ;)

Here is a method of handling the situation that seems to work....:D

emby_shy.jpg

Archived