Do you find the ship's photographers pesky?

2Oregonians

I'm sure some people love lots of pictures of themselves on their cruise, but we're not so crazy about them and we might only buy one - the one WE CHOOSE to pose for on the formal night. How do you handle those photographers who want to take your pictures every time you turn around? Yes, I'm exaggerating, but sometimes it feels like that. I beg you not to flame this post. I fully realize some people love having their pictures taken, and others will say 'if you don't like it you don't have to buy it', etc. etc. I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts on the matter. We haven't cruised since 1999, so I'm wondering if the photographers are as present now as they were then. It seemed like every little event had a photographer lurking about. If you don't want your picture taken, does the photographer try to talk you into it after you politely say no? How have you handled this situation? Remember... friendly discussion! ;)

My husband and I usually make funny faces...not goofy, but like pointing up at the sky or something. Or pictures with our mouths open, something different. It turns into a game. We've purchased a couple of super funny ones; but it is more fun to just see all of the random ones up on the board.

On our Amazon cruise this past March we noticed that they were much LESS pesky. I don't know if it was just this cruise or this crew of photographers but it was noticeably different from before.

Good idea to make a game out of it. I'd like to see the reactions of others looking through the racks trying to find their own pictures and seeing your funny face ones!!

Witness Protection Program... also a good one! I bet the photographers hear that a lot and laugh on the outside while rolling their eyes on the inside. lol

I find the picture taking very annoying, expecially at dinner. They come in and start moving things on the table, or telling you to move this or that, they take the picture and leave. I think it is rude to come to take pictures while people are eating. If they only came on 1 formal night maybe, but multiple times during a cruise is too often for me. I use to just follow orders but now I just say no. They usually don't push it. I understand it is their job but when there are photographers everywhere on the ship providing people with multiple opportunities to have their pictures taken the dining room should be off limits except for one night. That one night could be announced in the paper we receive and then everyone would know ahead of time to be prepared.

Just got off the CB yesterday and the photo taking was really toned down!

If they asked, we said "no thank you" and never had a problem!!

They had several areas stationed off for photos on most nights, not just for formal nights. Saw some nice family photos being taken in a more casual setting.

Just off of the Coral to Alaska and of course on every stop there is the ever present photographer. We simply say "no thank you" and they were not a problem.

Marilyn

I've heard others tell the photographers that they can't have their pics taken because they're in the Witness Protection Program. :D

That's exactly what we've been telling the photographers for years now, & it truly works.

Minette

Compared to Carnival , Princess wasn't a problem at all. We let them take as many as they wanted and only bought a couple. . Remember they have a job to do, so if you don't want your picture taken just politely say No Thank You and if that doesn't work , threaten to throw them over board!!! HaHa... I do agree, that when you are having dinner it is bit of a nuisence. I don't like having to buy an 8x10 before you can get a smaller size. I also think they are way overpriced!!!

We don't mind those pesky photographers. We just smile, they take the picture, and move on. It's part of the on board fun for us. We go look at the photos, usually dump them in the recycle bin after we have seen them, and occasionally do buy one or two.

We just say no thanks but I really get ticked off when we are trying to get off in a port and they are blocking the gangway and you are stuck in line!

This is the place where I dislike them the most. We also had a bad experience with one of those gangway photographers on the Grand Princess and while it didn't ruin our cruise, or our day, we haven't forgot it either. If a "no thank you" stops it, that's great, but it still holds up everyone behind those being photographed. All they have to do is move it off the gangway.

I agree with those who believe it is rude to take them at dinner, and find the full table shots at Anytime Dining particularly useless. Does anyone buy those photos? Often we will look around at each other (knowing no more about each other than first names, and sometimes not even those) and will finally ask to be skipped. Sometimes we are and sometimes not.

Archived