Internet pricing onboard -- packages

*CruiseFan*

I hate even asking this, because I don't want to on the net on my cruise, I want to be ENJOYING my cruise.

I play fantasy baseball. I am a girl, I know little about it but it's fun and I play with my boss and some reporters. I'm finally out of last, now that my pitches are off the DL, and as I was trying to go through my line ups and set a little in advance so I could finish later, I came to the realization that -- I can't do it this way. I'm a bit of a control freak, and I'm going to need to check on my team.

I tell a long story to ask a short question -- what are the pricing packages for this or is it cheaper for me to just go minute to minute? It only takes me about 5 minutes or so to talk smack to my team and set my lineup, so would it be best to just use the wireless in the room or get a pre-paid card? I'm thinking I'd need like, 45 minutes total...

Thanks!

All the ports have internet cafes. I buy 30 minutes to an hour almost every port to let my family know Im ok and catch up on whatever.

Prices for an hour range from $1 (Progresso) to $6 (St. Thomas) and the rest seem to fall in between. Cozumel has $2 one place $3 an hour another etc.

If you get on a computer in ports, that might mitigate your online on the ship so its not so much $$$$. The ship connection, what takes you 5 minutes, you will be lucky to do in 15, its very slow.

As much as I try to set my lineups in advance, I too can not leave my fantasy team alone for the whole week, so you are not alone. Firefly is correct in saying what takes 5 minutes at home will take 15 at sea.

It is a sick sick addiction this Fantasy Baseball is. Maybe I'll just buy a card with minutes on it. Everything needs to be done in the morning typically, especially for the early games.

This is stressful, LOL

What kind of a 'card with minutes on it'? The only internet that works at sea is the satellite connection from the ship. My Alltel card won't work...I believe some have been able to connect to the internet with their iPhones, but they still have to sign up through the ship...EM

What kind of a 'card with minutes on it'? The only internet that works at sea is the satellite connection from the ship. My Alltel card won't work...I believe some have been able to connect to the internet with their iPhones, but they still have to sign up through the ship...EM

Package, LOL -- sorry, it was late and I was tired. My brain doesn't function properly sometimes :)

april1964 -- Really? That was sort of what I was thinking of doing to be honest, because I really don't WANT to be on the computer much more than that -- I just want to check the line up, make changes if necessary and go from there :)

When I decide to purchase a package, instead of looking at how many minutes are offered with each package, I look at what is the cost of the package and if I were to pay $0.75/min at the per minute rate, is it likely that I would use that many minutes or more.

For example:

Cruises less than six days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute) -- @ $0.75/min, I would use 22 minutes to spend $16.50. Will I use at least 22 minutes?

• 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute) -- @ $0.75/min, I would use 32 minutes to spend $24.00. Will I use at least 32 minutes?

Cruises six days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute) -- @ $0.75/min, I would use 73.3 minutes to spend $55.00. Will I use at least 73.3 minutes?

• 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute) -- @ $0.75/min, I would use 133.3 minutes to spend $100.00. Will I use at least 133.3 minutes?

Also remember that if you buy the package and need more minutes, it will be at the package rate instead of reverting to the $0.75/rate. So if you buy the $16.50 package on a short cruise and end up using 40 minutes, the extra ten would cost you $5.50 instead of $7.50.

When I decide to purchase a package, instead of looking at how many minutes are offered with each package, I look at what is the cost of the package and if I were to pay $0.75/min at the per minute rate, is it likely that I would use that many minutes or more.

For example:

Cruises less than six days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute) -- @ $0.75/min, I would use 22 minutes to spend $16.50. Will I use at least 22 minutes?

• 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute) -- @ $0.75/min, I would use 32 minutes to spend $24.00. Will I use at least 32 minutes?

Cruises six days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute) -- @ $0.75/min, I would use 73.3 minutes to spend $55.00. Will I use at least 73.3 minutes?

• 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute) -- @ $0.75/min, I would use 133.3 minutes to spend $100.00. Will I use at least 133.3 minutes?

Also remember that if you buy the package and need more minutes, it will be at the package rate instead of reverting to the $0.75/rate. So if you buy the $16.50 package on a short cruise and end up using 40 minutes, the extra ten would cost you $5.50 instead of $7.50.

Thanks for fleshing it out like that -- I think I'll just pay the $0.75/rate

When you are logging on, it will tell you how many minutes you have left, do you want to buy more...But if you run out of minutes while you are computing, they do not come on to tell you...They let you continue but charge you at the $0.75/min. It has happened to me when I was trying to use up minutes, and ran over instead. EM

Archived