E731 (mini suite) - wind issues?

sppunk

I recall reading a few posters complain these end mini suites on the Emerald Deck regarding wind on the balcony making them practically unusable.

Was I reading this correct? We have E731 booked for the May 09 CB repositioning from San Juan to NYC and plan on using the balcony a lot during the days ... if it's windy, I will move to another Emerald mini (but we like the extra space ... ).

Thanks.

I didn't have any issues when I stayed in the end mini (with the extended balcony) but yes, others have written that books were pulled out of their hands from the wind whipping around the fantail.

I loved that mini... :) and I wouldn't hesitate to book again.

We had E731 on the CB last July and found it no more windy than any other balcony we have had. As others have said it doe depend somewhat which direction the wind blows but that applies to other balconies also.

We loved the extra space and the chance to look out to the rear and would book the cabin again in an instant

We must have gotten really unlucky twice with the far aft port/starboard side staterooms. First time was on the Grand, yep, wind was so bad it blew everything off the balcony for all but one day of the 7 day cruise (learned that lesson really quick not to leave anything out there whatsoever). DH loves the balcony, but we had a couple of days that even sitting close to the partitian didn't help, back into the cabin he went.

While we were sailing on the Grand for 7 days, our TA thought she would surprise us for our month long cruise from LA to Sydney, so while we were gone, she switched our stateroom to the port side one, E728, on the Star for that upcoming month long voyage.

Our original stateroom had already been booked by someone else and there wasn't a lot left to choose from, so we stayed put. We thought, OK, just a fluke wind for a couple of days it will be better next time. First week, it was great, we had lots of cocktail parties and the extra room on the balcony came in very handy. Then poof, the wind came up for over a week of that cruise and we could barely get the door open it was so bad.

So, with that first week it being great, that could be why some have not experienced the same thing when having these staterooms.

Here's hoping for all that have it booked in the future that you have very calm winds from the aft. ;) ;)

Interesting ... I think we'll keep it and cross our fingers and toes and hope for the best. Interested to see the CB after it's January rehab - hoping hard they upgrade their horrible bed situation.

I just returned from my first HAL trip, and while we're Princess diehards, I'd cruise HAL over Princess some simply because the difference in the bedding!

Thanks, everyone, as always. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting ... I think we'll keep it and cross our fingers and toes and hope for the best. Interested to see the CB after it's January rehab - hoping hard they upgrade their horrible bed situation.

I just returned from my first HAL trip, and while we're Princess diehards, I'd cruise HAL over Princess some simply because the difference in the bedding!

Thanks, everyone, as always. :)

I will be on the same cruise in May. (the repo). Where did you get info on the renovation?

and, how did you like HAL? I will be on the 4 day to nowhere this august.

I recall reading a few posters complain these end mini suites on the Emerald Deck regarding wind on the balcony making them practically unusable.

Was I reading this correct? We have E731 booked for the May 09 CB repositioning from San Juan to NYC and plan on using the balcony a lot during the days ... if it's windy, I will move to another Emerald mini (but we like the extra space ... ).

Thanks.

This was our second Princess cruise. The first one to Alaska we had a PH suite on Caribe deck. Nice, big room, big balcony and lots of $$$. Last week on the CB, we really enjoyed E731. The balcony was almost 19 feet wide. Wind? Not a problem. We had a nice breeze most days which helped with the heat. Also, the cabin is quiet. Really nice to sit on the balcony and listen to the wake. My wife and I will book this cabin for every cruise from now on (if it is available). Best cabin for the money. Enjoy!

We had E278 on the star which is the last mini with the extended balcony. This was an Egyptian/Aegean cruise, no wind issues at all, the balcony was wonderful in port and at sea. One evening coming out of Istanbul there was a bit of a storm and the winds were howling - but that affected all the balconies on the ship, not just ours :D

I have seen people post that this mini balcony is extremely windy and at times unusable and I wonder how they know all the other balconies aren't having the same problem at the same time? They might assume it's just theirs.

Does anyone have pictures they could post of the balcony for E731?

We had E725 on our last cruise and I would love to see the difference between the two balconies.

Also, is the minisuite E731 larger then the other AD mini's?

Thanks. :)

Here is a link to a picture of E731. You will note the balcony while the same depth as a normal mini-suite is about double the width. Since it is a wraparound balcony you can out the side and rear of the ship. This is considered my most to be the best Mini on the Grand Class Ships.

http://community.webshots.com/album/290527980oqveMZ

We stayed in E731 on the Star and didn't have a problem with wind but it wasnt that windy. What we did have issue with is loud noise late at night from Club Fusion right below us. Check the deck plans on the ship you are on to see what's above and below you :)

We stayed in E731 on the Star and didn't have a problem with wind but it wasnt that windy. What we did have issue with is loud noise late at night from Club Fusion right below us.

E731 on the star is not a mini suite, it's just a regular balcony cabin (BB) on the aft.

I stayed in E728 on the Star which is the last mini with the extended covered balcony. This is what Emerald E731 will look like.

2007-kusa63.jpg

2007-kusa58.jpg

View of the wake from E728

2007-kusa56.jpg

Looking at Casshew's photo's you have a great mini with a spacious balcony and great views. Sppunk and duchess7 we will be sailing on the Repo on May 17 as well. This is our first Princess cruise and we are looking forward to it. We have sailed on HAL and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Archived