Is formal nights going away?

tpwolfe

And since many people can't manage the smart casual code, lowering the standard for one code will result in the standard lowered for all.

Shorts, t-shirts, tanks, etc---it's just a matter of (little) time.

Then comes the day "Flopsie" and Mopsie" aren't restricted to the so-called "topless deck". :rolleyes:

When that day comes people will be paying the ship's photographers to NOT take pictures ... or to destroy the evidence! Blackmail central ... eh?? l;)

And since many people can't manage the smart casual code, lowering the standard for one code will result in the standard lowered for all.

Then comes the day "Flopsie" and Mopsie" aren't restricted to the so-called "topless deck". :rolleyes:

Oh, Ruth, thank you for that good gut-laugh!:D

I don't think they will do away with formal night .. but as long as they don't prohibit it .. there will still be people dressing up .. I will be the one in a formal with hubby in a Tux!!

I don't think they will do away with formal night .. but as long as they don't prohibit it .. there will still be people dressing up .. I will be the one in a formal with hubby in a Tux!!

Here here, Kathy! Here here!

When we got to the Lido it was packed and the staff were running around in a panic because they were running out of food. I talked to one of people in charge that was working in the Lido that night and he said they set a record in the Lido for a number of people served. He said there was over 300 guests in the Lido that night and it didn’t include room service or the grill. That’s at least ¼ of the ship passengers didn’t want to dress up and go to the dining room even for the lobster. Just think of the number people that wouldn’t go to the dining room if the served lobster in the Lido. Times are changing a number of people enjoy cruising but don't want to dress up on vacation.

And how much you wanna bet that Matri 'd who was turning people away in the dining room got his butt chewed out because of it?

That's exactly why dress codes are not enforced in the dining room ... because there's no profit in it. You send everyone packing to the Lido, now they have to staff up, and have to cook more food. They're not ready to serve all those extra people.

As long as people are dressed "decently," and these people in suits with no ties surely would have been ... then they should be shown to their table in the dining room whether or not they are dressed technically formally.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Back when I first sailed Holland America (I'm sad to say I haven't been in a loooonnnnng time) you had to stay in formal wear all nite or they would not allow you into the shows or the lounges. That was in '93!!
When I first sailed in 2004, that was the rule. The dress code applied to all public decks (minus the Lido) for the ENTIRE evening.

Not so today, though ... as well it shouldn't be.

Like I said before ... as long as a certain standard was maintained ... resort casual or country club casual ... I wouldn't have any problem with it. But, as Ruth C says, we can't necessarily depend on that ... so things could wind up totally deteriorating to the point where you have people coming to dinner in their bathrobes ... and that would destroy the whole ambience of the ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I would welcome doing away with formal nights for the luggage issues. When airlines start charging $25 per bag you have to cut back. I agree people want to be comfortably dressed, eat where and when they want to and cut the formalities. It is a vacation after all.

The big drawback I see for the cruise ships is loss of revenue from photography.

I think it is a win for the passengers, bring it on

Speaking of bathrobes, I went to a Sunday champagne brunch at the Phoenician hotel in Phoenix, considered a luxury resort, and a woman did show up in her bathrobe! I hope she was a hotel guest but I did wonder what she was wearing underneath...but not for long, the food was too good!

Hmmm ... I wonder what would happen to me, dressed in Clerics?

In the past -- according to all the guides I've read -- that is "Clergy Formal." And, in the past, I've never had any trouble in the Main Dining Room dressed in clerics ... even when the staff has been highly restrictive on the subject.

I cannot imagine them turning away anyone in God's formal wear, , but stranger things have happened I guess. I personally got up close and comfortable with that collar during my brother's and then mother's illnesses and passings. It still brings me immeasureable comfort to see a clerical collar to this day. I would be delighted to see clericals in the dining room on formal night.

I would welcome doing away with formal nights for the luggage issues. When airlines start charging $25 per bag you have to cut back. I agree people want to be comfortably dressed, eat where and when they want to and cut the formalities. It is a vacation after all.

The big drawback I see for the cruise ships is loss of revenue from photography.

People look for different things in their vacations. Some of us actually LIKE the formalities. Additionally, $25 for a second bag is a minimal price to pay if that's what it takes to enjoy one's cruise in the style and grace and manner that one wishes. However ... let's be practical for a moment. On a 20 day cruise one will have either 4 or 5 formal nights. One Tuxedo, shirt, tie, cummerbund, etc., will suffice for all 4 or 5 nights. If each of those nights were "Smart Casual," you would have to pack 2 or 3 times as much just stuff (additional shirts, slacks, etc) in order to cover for those extra evenings of Smart Casual Dressing. It's not as if you're wearing the same pants and the same shirt every night. If you are, then you won't need a second bag for the Formal Wear ... will ya? :D

I cannot imagine them turning away anyone in God's formal wear, , but stranger things have happened I guess. I personally got up close and comfortable with that collar during my brother's and then mother's illnesses and passings. It still brings me immeasureable comfort to see a clerical collar to this day. I would be delighted to see clericals in the dining room on formal night.

Thank you! I appreciate it! :D

I think it is a win for the passengers, bring it on

HAL does provide alternate venues to dine on formal nights. So, everyone HAS an opportunity to eat without the formality if they wish.

Yes, formal nights are soon going to be a thing of the past for all the reasons already outlined. I am very conflicted about this, because I liked to wear my tux. But this won't be the end.

On our latest cruise, on the Noordam in March, maybe a third of our fellow male diners wore formal wear. At our table one man wore a gray suit and another a nice wesern outfit with a string tie. Worked out well and everyone was happy, except for, perhaps, a traditionalist lurking somewhere in the corner jotting down etiquette crimes.

Now, having said that, when we went to Bermuda in September, I took only a seersucker jacket to go with blue pants. Never used it. Everyone was nicely dressed, as far as I can remember, but virtually no one wore formal.

We have an 18-day TA cruise coming up on the Emerald Princess and I think I'll take my tux. But when we go to South America next year, I am inclined to skip all formality.

As most lines discontinue formal nights, there will be some that will retain that as an option just as HAL does now. If it keeps people happy, fine.

However ... let's be practical for a moment. On a 20 day cruise one will have either 4 or 5 formal nights. One Tuxedo, shirt, tie, cummerbund, etc., will suffice for all 4 or 5 nights. If each of those nights were "Smart Casual," you would have to pack 2 or 3 times as much just stuff (additional shirts, slacks, etc) in order to cover for those extra evenings of Smart Casual Dressing.

You have given many excellent reasons for formal nights...But in my opinion this packing scheme isn't one of them...On my recent 24 day Zuiderdam cruise I brought a suit, dress shirts,ties and dress shoes for formal nights...If there weren't any formal nights I would have left them home...I would'nt bring 2 or 3 times more stuff for casual nights as there is a excellent laundry service for shirts and pants.

I have also sailed several times on the all casual NCL and I certainly didn't bring as much clothes as on a cruise that had formal nights...Perhaps you have but I certainly wouldn't.

You have given many excellent reasons for formal nights...But in my opinion this packing scheme isn't one of them...On my recent 24 day Zuiderdam cruise I brought a suit, dress shirts,ties and dress shoes for formal nights...If there weren't any formal nights I would have left them home...I would'nt bring 2 or 3 times more stuff for casual nights as there is a excellent laundry service for shirts and pants.

What will you wear on those evenings? The same 3 outfits, rotating from night to night so that you can send them off for cleaning during the 2 intervening evenings? With Formal wear, guys can get away with that. With casual wear it becomes dull, boring, and obvious over a long period of time. On my recent 20 day cruise on the Rotterdam, if all I had to wear was Casual stuff, I would have needed about 10 or so different outfits (so as to not wear anything more than twice. Since we had 5 formal nights and 15 casual nights, I was able to bring 5 casual night outfits, a tuxedo, and a sports jacket. It wasn't 3 or 4 times (just 2x), granted, but the 5 casual night outfits that I didn't bring were off-set by the 1 formal night outfit that I did bring and the informal items ... the result being neutral in regard to luggage.

And how much you wanna bet that Matri 'd who was turning people away in the dining room got his butt chewed out because of it?

--rita

Mmm. Rita, you do come up with some rippers.....:D :D :D

What will you wear on those evenings? The same 3 outfits, rotating from night to night so that you can send them off for cleaning during the 2 intervening evenings? With Formal wear, guys can get away with that. With casual wear it becomes dull, boring, and obvious over a long period of time. On my recent 20 day cruise on the Rotterdam, if all I had to wear was Casual stuff, I would have needed about 10 or so different outfits (so as to not wear anything more than twice. Since we had 5 formal nights and 15 casual nights, I was able to bring 5 casual night outfits, a tuxedo, and a sports jacket. It wasn't 3 or 4 times (just 2x), granted, but the 5 casual night outfits that I didn't bring were off-set by the 1 formal night outfit that I did bring and the informal items ... the result being neutral in regard to luggage.

We loved dressing up on our recent cruises as did the majority of our table mates (in AYWD). Makes it fun!!!!

:D :D :D

Let's not forget CottonTail and Peter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not forget CottonTail and Peter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ew! :eek: Now where's my can of Image B Gone? ;)

We once saw that on the top of a German ship, docked next to us in Tortola. And, NO, I didn't get any pictures.

What will you wear on those evenings? The same 3 outfits, rotating from night to night so that you can send them off for cleaning during the 2 intervening evenings? With Formal wear, guys can get away with that. With casual wear it becomes dull, boring, and obvious over a long period of time.

This line of argument seems specious to me. I don't understand why re-wearing casual wear must become dull, boring, and obvious while re-wearing formal wear will not. Especially since with a little planning a mix & match casual wear strategy works really well. (I pack coordinating colors.) This is especially true for those who have AYW dining and are not necessarily seated with the same people each night. Personally, I've never noticed whether a tablemate reused an outfit. I'm much more interested in that night's menu, and I would notice if that was recycled! :)

Really, if they DO keep formal nights, I wish they'd enforce them. If it's going to be all smart casual, I'd like to know that before my cruise, so I'll know how to pack.:confused:

Archived