Is formal nights going away?

tpwolfe

Maybe HAL wants to keep formal night becuase they do not want to loose the formal wear attire revenue. My guess is that they get 35-50 percent of the gross. Any know what the split is and what the average sail revenue would be?

It's the photography money that they will lose. Formal nights are a gold mine for the photography department.

The bar department will also lose, as most people have a cocktail on formal nights.

Who won't lose? The majority of passengers who dress right for the occasion, not because of a ship's "regulations".

It's the photography money that they will lose. Formal nights are a gold mine for the photography department.

The bar department will also lose, as most people have a cocktail on formal nights.

Regarding the photography department ... ever since HAL changed the company with whom they contract for photography the quality of their product (already poor) has suffered along with the amount of money they make.

By comparison with the way things were done in the past, aboard the Rotterdam this January it was often difficult to find the photographers to get formal night photos taken if one had the 8:00 pm seating for dinner ... and, unlike in the past, they did very little roaming through the dining room, taking table shots, etc. There were only TWO stations set up to photograph people on formal nights: they were located in the Atrium area and closed at 7:30 pm. If one didn't cocktail in the Ocean Bar, one wouldn't go past 'em at all. And, since they closed up operations at 7:30, by the time we were leaving to go to dinner the photographing was done and they were putting up their equipment. They didn't even wait until later to catch people coming from dinner to the show!

I'm not really complaining ... it's just that with their being less visible and less obtrusive, I'm sure they didn't take nearly as many photographs on that cruise than the former contractors did on prior cruises. And, given that the quality of the product has declined while the prices have gone up (yet again), I'm sure that they sold fewer, too.

As for the loss of revenue in the beverage department, I'm sure that those who don't dress up (ever) will offset it through binge drinking and advanced pickling at other times. :) ;)

Hmmm ... I wonder what would happen to me, dressed in Clerics?

In the past -- according to all the guides I've read -- that is "Clergy Formal." And, in the past, I've never had any trouble in the Main Dining Room dressed in clerics ... even when the staff has been highly restrictive on the subject.

As Annie Lennox sings: 'Don't mess with a missionary man'. :D

In my lifetime, the work world (for guys) has gone from suits every day, to suits every day except casual Friday, to every day being casual Friday except Friday, which turns into grunge Friday if you contribute a dollar to the company's favorite charity.

You mean there are people that will pay money to wear jeans? :eek: That goes against the argument that casual is cheaper... :D

I do not miss the days of wearing suits to work, especially in New York City in the summer. I don't interact with the public or clients and can do as good a job in comfortable business casual attier as I would in a suit. Or better.

Our company is strict though: no jeans, no t-shirts, no sleeveless shirts, shorts, sandals etc. A few Fridays a year we get to wear jeans, but the rest of the code stays in place. An extra rule for jeans: no holes, no frayed ends.

Listening to Christopher drone on and on about that show has caused me to watch it. I actually enjoy it and have learned a lot from it ... even where I disagree with them! :)

A 'What not to Wear' story: I was on the subway one day and noticed that Clinton Kelly had gotten on and was sitting accross from me. I freaked for a moment and looked around for any cameras, wondering if perhaps my partner had nominated me to be on the show. A few stops later, Clinton got off the train and things were good. :)

A 'What not to Wear' story: I was on the subway one day and noticed that Clinton Kelly had gotten on and was sitting accross from me. I freaked for a moment and looked around for any cameras, wondering if perhaps my partner had nominated me to be on the show. A few stops later, Clinton got off the train and things were good. :)

LOL ... I can understand your reaction! I would have been startled, too, and would have been desperately looking for cameras.

Our company is strict though: no jeans, no t-shirts, no sleeveless shirts, shorts, sandals etc.

That doesn't really sound "strict", though. When people dress for work looking as though they'd need to dress up to go to the beach it's really being carried too far.

That doesn't really sound "strict", though. When people dress for work looking as though they'd need to dress up to go to the beach it's really being carried too far.

LOL ... depends upon the "work." :D

Not really. Times have obviously changed. Many jobs do not involve any interaction with the public, only with the computer. Would you put on a dress or suit to sit in a cubicle all day facing a computer? Yes, upon reflection, you probably would:) .

Would you put on a dress or suit to sit in a cubicle all day facing a computer? Yes, upon reflection, you probably would:) .

Thank you for noticing! :) Of course I would; I care about how I present myself. I would never have gone to work looking like a slob.

What do you mean 'not strict'?! What do you wear to the beach? :eek:

Our company has a strict policy as to what appropriate business causal attire means. Nobody in our building looks like they are going to the beach. Show up in jeans with holes and you will hear about it, and most likely be sent home. I have not seen that happen yet but that must be because the people I work with are dressing appropriately.

Thank you for noticing! :) Of course I would; I care about how I present myself. I would never have gone to work looking like a slob.

And neither have I, thank you. Perhaps you think a man not wearing a jacket and a tie = slob? I would say most people don't think that.

I think it is absurd to wear a suit/jacket and tie on hot, humid summer days (unless absolutely neccesary). We were invited to the Belmont Stakes and the dress code was suit/jacket and tie. It was a hot, humid day and we dressed appropriately to code.

Our dress code at work is 'business casual' and I dress appropriately for that too.

Peter, it does not sound like your business' policy is strict so much as the requirement to adhere to the policy. That is not the same thing.

I don't consider a requirement for a man to wear long pants and a shirt "strict"; requiring a suit and tie certainly comes a lot closer to "strict". Throw in regs about color of said suit/tie and now you're talking "strict".

Having seen photos of how nice you look all dressed up, I think it would be appropriate for you:) .

Peter, it does not sound like your business' policy is strict so much as the requirement to adhere to the policy. That is not the same thing.

I don't consider a requirement for a man to wear long pants and a shirt "strict"; requiring a suit and tie certainly comes a lot closer to "strict". Throw in regs about color of said suit/tie and now you're talking "strict".

Well, by 'strict' I meant 'strict adherence to the business casual attire policy'. I have never thought of a dress code as being 'strict'.

As for the loss of revenue in the beverage department, I'm sure that those who don't dress up (ever) will offset it through binge drinking and advanced pickling at other times. :) ;)

This is the HAL area, shouldn't this be on the Carnival board?? :D

I can't believe someone finally caught that :p
I'd noticed right away, but as the guidelines state:
Spelling and Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies

we all make boo-boos from time to time... :)

Archived