Is it wise to pay gratuities before a cruise?

Dowunder

I've never paid tips before going on a cruise, but it's not a bad idea. However, what do you do on the last dining night when everyone else breaks out the envelopes and hands them to the servers and head waiter? I'm just curious....do you just say "we already paid in advance?"

I've never paid tips before going on a cruise, but it's not a bad idea. However, what do you do on the last dining night when everyone else breaks out the envelopes and hands them to the servers and head waiter? I'm just curious....do you just say "we already paid in advance?"

Since you have the option of paying with the onboard credit system, I don't believe the envelopes are that big a deal anymore...as others on other threads have stated...either you get a voucher to hand them, or they've been informed beforehand. On the open seating ships, it's a necessity to pay this way, as you don't have the same servers each night, it never becomes a question. Of their regular passengers it's OK, just the people who regularly sail the regular set seating etc. who question this. If you have bad service, you CAN reduce this amount! I would pay in advance if it was more convienient...not to the crew people just the pursers office. I choose not to.

When others pay your gratuities it's easy for for you to add more money to tips, but for us who have to pay your own it's not so easy to throw around the extra.

Do you pay the tip on a restaurant meal before the meal? Do you pay the tip on a taxi ride when you get in the cab? Do you pay the tip when you park your car before you pick it up?

Don't see why a cruise should be any different.

DON

Do you pay the tip on a restaurant meal before the meal? Do you pay the tip on a taxi ride when you get in the cab? Do you pay the tip when you park your car before you pick it up?

DON

You tip the waitress when you get the final bill right??

Strange I don't recall you paying the bill AFTER sailing - the last time I checked the bill was paid in full long BEFORE we all even see the ship in port.

When others pay your gratuities it's easy for for you to add more money to tips' date=' but for us who have to pay your own it's not so easy to throw around the extra.[/quote']

Where do I sign up to get someone else to pay for my cruise and tips? :D

T

It doesn't have to be. It's a personal choice. It's not wrong for you to give it after services-rendered, just like it's not wrong for someone else to do it ahead of time.

Having been on many cruises, all which have provided excellent service, things would have to be pretty darned bad for me to not pay the absolute minimum. So, I just find it easier to pre-pay and add it to the overall expense of my cruise ahead of time. That's all....it's easy, and I know I'll be doing it at some point anyway.

The day I go on a cruise, sit at my assigned table for dinner, and don't feel like I've gotten my $3.50-worth from my server, I will be the first to let you all know and re-think my behavior. LOL Heck, I give the pizza delivery guy $4, and he just shows up and hands it to me! :)

T

Where do I sign up to get someone else to pay for my cruise and tips? :D

T

Didn't say anything about someone paying for the cruise...but several online agencies offer paid gratuities, & or OBC don't they???:rolleyes:

Hi, all....I've really enjoyed all your comments. One thing on Celebrity: When you receive the bill for a drink at a bar, there's a 15% gratuity automatically added to the price of the drink. Then there is a line or a space for what X calls "Additional Gratuity". The 15% automatically added is pooled among all the waitstaff on the ship. The "Additional Gratuity" goes directly to the server or bartender whenever they get their paycheck. (That's why their name is on the receipt). I prefer adding $1. on the gratuity line at the time of service, as it's easier for me, and I make sure the person serving me all the time gets somethiing extra. Take care, all and have some fun today.

You tip the waitress when you get the final bill right??

Strange I don't recall you paying the bill AFTER sailing - the last time I checked the bill was paid in full long BEFORE we all even see the ship in port.

You tip the waitress after the final bill for the service that has been rendered. The point, which would seem to have been obvious, is that ina service oriented industry, you do not normally tip before the service has been rendered. Why should a cruise be any different.

I am not suggesting that I do not tip the suggested amount and above but I do it at the end, not before the cruise.

DON

Hi, all....I've really enjoyed all your comments. One thing on Celebrity: When you receive the bill for a drink at a bar, there's a 15% gratuity automatically added to the price of the drink. Then there is a line or a space for what X calls "Additional Gratuity". The 15% automatically added is pooled among all the waitstaff on the ship. The "Additional Gratuity" goes directly to the server or bartender whenever they get their paycheck. (That's why their name is on the receipt). I prefer adding $1. on the gratuity line at the time of service, as it's easier for me, and I make sure the person serving me all the time gets somethiing extra. Take care, all and have some fun today.

Don't get me started on the suggestion from many people that you tap at the bar above the excessive mandatory 15% tip.

DON

Quote "Tip the Cabin Steward a FEW 20's at the start of the trip" How can this be anything but a bribe???? Hopefully this is an honest steward who does his/her job regardless...or I pity those who find it difficult enough to pay the regular tips...as they won't be getting full service while the person bribing them gets better than average! There are only so many hours to go around to do their jobs and if they are giving preferential treatment to some....some have to be shortchanged. This is again an example of "ELITISM" in my estimation. Yes because they are poorly paid so the tipping is almost necessary' date=' but this isn't that...nothing but a bribe! Had people on our last cruise asking for special treatment in Dining room (With a little extra under the table they explained), which made everyone else's food late...etc. Sorry I have too much American equality drummed into my system to accept this ![/quote']

Slipping a Maitre D a $20 is just as American as your so called American equality :eek: ...it really doesn't matter if you "accept" it or not...its just the way it is..:D ....

If you go to a restaurant, do you tip before the meal is served? Do you tip after each course if served?

If not, why would you treat a cruise any differently and tip before or during the cruise?

DON

When I go to a restaurant I don't ask my waiter to do a few little things for me like open the door between 2 cabins balconies or request ice to be fresh at a certain time of the day that I know I will be needing it everyday....then towards the end of the first day I slip my stewart a $20 to show him or her I appreciate their service and they know I appreiciate it and if it gets my room made daily at my preferred time then all I can say is..."oh well, you shoulda slipped him a $20 as well" :D

Slipping a Maitre D a $20 is just as American as your so called American equality :eek: ...it really doesn't matter if you "accept" it or not...its just the way it is..:D ....

You know what it's really NOT... unless as another poster suggested... if you live in certain large cities, and the majority of Americans DON"T. And those standards are really falling fast enough...perhaps we should get the Dress Code people to police public attitudes to equality and other ideals. They sure are uptight about how everyone dresses:confused: Everyone "Accepting How it is" is where our problem lies.

You tip the waitress after the final bill for the service that has been rendered. The point, which would seem to have been obvious, is that ina service oriented industry, you do not normally tip before the service has been rendered. Why should a cruise be any different.

I am not suggesting that I do not tip the suggested amount and above but I do it at the end, not before the cruise.

DON

Don that isn't the "problem" what gets me annoyed is that some people on this thread insist that if you Pre Pay the crew will not offer the highest service. That isn't correct - as I often pre pay especially when I am out there with groups from countries who are not used to this extensive tipping. They get what they should ahead (basically their wages) and after the cruise they get extra what we think they have "earned" on top.

Those of you who think there is no recourse for bad service well let me tell there is - not happy with the cleaning of your cabin - call the housekeeper etc. THAT works like a charm BUT remember always be nice. These folks can only do things better if they know about it and change it for YOU if you say something about it right away and not only at the end of the cruise!!!

A question probably asked before, but as I am new to this cruise caper and from a country where tipping is not obligatory, I wondered if any experienced cruisers have paid gratuities before and after the cruise and noticed any difference in the service. I usually only tip if the service has been great and I can't help thinking that the ship's staff would have some way of finding out if the tips had been paid in advance.

I'm from Belgium and in Belgium we do not have to tip, everything is included in the price. When we go on a cruise ship we don't pay the gratuities at home, we put them on the shipboard account, for us is that an easy way to give the envelopes en if the service is very good put some extra money in. Sometimes we have to book a whole pakket cruise + flight + transfers that includes the gratuities. When we book everything separtely we paid them onboard. We still get a good service.:)

A question probably asked before, but as I am new to this cruise caper and from a country where tipping is not obligatory, I wondered if any experienced cruisers have paid gratuities before and after the cruise and noticed any difference in the service. I usually only tip if the service has been great and I can't help thinking that the ship's staff would have some way of finding out if the tips had been paid in advance.

Yes, I have noticed a difference. I have paid in advance on a few cruises, that seems to be the way now, but I have found out that the service is better when you don't pay in advance.

If the service is there then they will collect their rewards, however, if the service is not there then they will know that too.

I don't tip my waiter or waitress in a restaurant before I get the check. I don't tip my hairdresser until he's finished cutting my hair. I can't imagine tipping BEFORE a service is performed. We do tip on an ongoing basis for room service and extras.

We sailed with rc 2 years ago. we prepaid our tips but put extra in the envelopes for the head waiter and waitress as they had given us the best service but we also found out how much the staff get paid per month - $50 per month when they are working - nothing when they are not. The tips are their wages. Non Americans must understand the different culture of tipping when on American ships. It is important to the staff but it does not stop them giving fantastic service. Be generous!!!!

Archived