New Entry Requirements for Entering the USA

sailingkiwi

From 1 Jan 2009 there will be a requirement for travellers entering the USA from countries who currently enter under the visa waver scheme (ie most of Western Europe, along with countires such as New Zealand, Australia and Japan) to register 3 days prior to travel.

Here is the article from the NZ Herald - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10514156:

"A new requirement for New Zealand travellers to register online at least three days before entering the United States is a barrier, but not as bad as having to get a visa, Prime Minister Helen Clark said today.

From next year, the USA will require the registration of travellers from countries which do not currently require a visa, including New Zealand.

Intended to bolster US security, the new requirement is due to be officially announced later today by Homeland Security secretary Michael Chertoff.

Miss Clark said the new rules were related to legislation implemented in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

"It applies to all countries whose citizens have visa waivers obviously it puts an extra step in the way of travel to the US, but then the US has been the subject of a very serious attack, so it is not surprising to us."

Miss Clark said in most cases it would be a formality, but common sense held that a registration system would see some people from some countries blocked from entering the US.

Even though this was another barrier to entry for New Zealanders, it was still less of a burden than those from countries who had to apply for a visa, she said.

American Chamber of Commerce in New Zealand executive director Mike Ahern said the rule could be an inconvenience for a small number of business executives who rely on last-minute flights for deal-clinching face-to-face meetings.

The online registrations will begin in January and will be valid for a two-year period.

Those needing to register will be travellers from New Zealand and the other 26 countries whose citizens are not required to obtain visas for US entry.

The countries include those in most of western Europe as well as Andorra, Australia, Brunei, Japan, and Singapore.

Eight other countries - the Czech Republic, Hungary and South Korea among them - are expected to be admitted to the visa waiver programme.

Miss Clark said the New Zealand embassy in Washington was too be fully briefed tomorrow.

"The US has made its decision, so whether there are issues around the edges which countries like ours might offer some advice is another matter."

- NZPA

What I am not clear about is whether registration is required once every two years or every time you travel. I am presuming from the article that it is the former, but then I wonder why it would be a hassle for business travellers as surely you would just register on 1 January and it would be good for two years (unless of course you need an airline ticket prior to travel) but I guess nothing will be clear until Embassy staff have had their briefings.

This is already being done on cruise ships. Every ship has to provide a manifest to CBP 3 days prior to sailing.

I know all of this is being done under the "terrorism" umbrella, but arrests from the cruise ship manifests are mostly local warrants.

This is already being done on cruise ships. Every ship has to provide a manifest to CBP 3 days prior to sailing.

I know all of this is being done under the "terrorism" umbrella, but arrests from the cruise ship manifests are mostly local warrants.

The rule is more complicated. They have to provide a manifest one hour before the ship sails from an US Port. They also have to provide a manifest 96 hours before a ship enters a US or territory port.

The rule is more complicated. They have to provide a manifest one hour before the ship sails from an US Port. They also have to provide a manifest 96 hours before a ship enters a US or territory port.

Yes, but the difference is that the onus to supply this information is on the traveller rather than the cruise ship or the airline. I imagine that there could be quite a few people who forget to do this.

If you have to provide this information every time you travel there will be implications for people travelling to the US on business as often you don't have 3 days notice prior to travel.

It will also have implications for people like me who live out of New Zealand, but whose family is still in New Zealand. One way of getting home in an emergency is to fly direct via LA, but this will be no longer possible if you need three days notice (if you haven't already previously registered).

Archived