Volendam 5/18 - 6/1 Review

patrickmoran

We had a great 2 week cruise on the Volendam. This was our 1st HAL cruise and 13th overall (mainly Carnival) and 3rd Alaskan Inside Passage cruise.

My wife & I flew to Seattle on 5/16 and toured Seattle for 2 days. It was unusally hot (bad) and sunny (good). We stayed at the Quality Inn near the Space Needle. For the price, it worked fine for us. We either walked or rode the bus for transport except from the airport or to the train. Highly recommend the Underground Seattle tour down at Pioneer Square.

Took Amtrak's Sunday am train to Vancouver. Easy way to go and no border BS. Grabbed a cab to Canada Place (~7 $CAN) and on the ship by 12:30pm. Had lunch on the Lido and then down to cabin. We had an inside cabin on the Lower Promenade deck (Deck 3) rear. Nice upgrade and great location for scenery for inside price. Cabin steward was fine. Cabin was a little warm but no noise and little motion though the whole cruise was exceptionally smooth.

We had AnyTime dining and did that for 3 nights in the Main Dining Room and then had dinner on the Lido the rest of the time except 1 night when we did Pinnacle Grill. Food was good but needed to be hotter in the main dinig room and on the Lido for dinner. Loved PG and had the best filet mignon that I have had. Good value there! Thought Lido was great for breakfast (made ot order omelets) and lunch (deli).

Since we had been to the ports before (except Haines), we did not do many excursions. Those that we took I booked directly with the tour operators and did not book through HAL. We did not do anything but walk around in Haines & Ketichican. In Juneau when northbound, I went to Mendenhall on one of the shuttles and hiked the East Loop trail (~ 2hrs) and enjoyed that as usual. When southbound, we went whale watching with Harv & Marv and had a great time and just a perfect day. Highly recommend them. In Skagway, took the White Pass railroad to the Summit and back. Very scenic and recommend that you sit on the canyon side going up otherwise you would get frustrated with the narrator pointing out everything that you will see on the way back. In Seward, we took the 6 hour Kenai Fjord boat tour using Kenai Fjord Tours. Another great trip and perfect weather day! Saw whales (Orcas, humpbacks, and Fin), seals, puffins, and glaciers. Long day but worth it.

The weather at the beginning of the cruise was cold, foggy, and rainy (typical for Alaska this time of year). Both days in Glacier Bay were cold but sunny- just magnificent! The first time in College Fjord was cold, and foggy -couldn't even see Harvard Glacier) and second was perfect I heard (too early for me to get up and been there done that so slept in).

Debarkation was easy. We stayed in Vancouver for a couple of days and then took Amtrak back to Seattle to fly home. Stayed at the Best Western Chateau Granville in one of their courtyard rooms. Reasonably priced hotel (~130$CAN) in a reasonable location. We bought tickets for the Big Bus (tour bus) which had a stop right outside our hotel and whose tix are good for 2 days. Easy way to see downtown Vancouver. It takes you to Chinatown, Gastown, Stanley Park, and Granville Island. Had lunch at the Steamworks Brewery. Great fish & chips with beer.

Instead of the train, Amtrak put us on a bus (track maintenance) which went fine. Flight home was uneventful.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good to hear you had a great cruise. I had read someone's else review and they didn't seem too happy with the cruise. We are going to be on the Volendam this month for our first ever cruise. We are getting very excited.

1. For a first time cruiser, are there are any points you feel worth mentioning that could help a newbie on the Volendam?

2. Did you notice people seasick on the Volendam or on the Kenai Fjords boat tour?

Thanks for the review, patrickmoran! (I used to know a Patrick Moran, but I'm pretty certain you're not him. You didn't graduate from high school in 1978, did you?)

vbmom87, I would definitely take a seasickness medication before any boat excursion you go on! I didn't on our cruise last fall and was VERY unhappy at the end of our snorkel excursion on Half Moon Cay. When we were in Alaska two summers ago, I did take it for our two boat excursions and it was a good thing I did. (I am very prone to seasickness, however.)

We had rough seas on the way to Aruba on the Volendam last fall, and a lot of people were sick, including my husband who NEVER gets sick. I always get sick and wasn't. Go figure.

Robin

vbmom87, I would definitely take a seasickness medication before any boat excursion you go on! I didn't on our cruise last fall and was VERY unhappy at the end of our snorkel excursion on Half Moon Cay. When we were in Alaska two summers ago, I did take it for our two boat excursions and it was a good thing I did. (I am very prone to seasickness, however.)

We had rough seas on the way to Aruba on the Volendam last fall, and a lot of people were sick, including my husband who NEVER gets sick. I always get sick and wasn't. Go figure.

Robin

Robin, what was the medication of choice for you? I have the patch and Bonine, but I am still unsure which I want to use. I tried to get my doc to give me the scopace pills, but he wouldn't. My DH and I have been very seasick on one occasion and I don't want a repeat of that.

I did not see anyone seasick on the ship or our KJ tour but we had exceptionally clam waters. My wife & I always take ginger pills, especially for small boats, but we are not inclined to seasickness.

Formal nights NB are 2nd & 6th nights while SB they were 2nd & 5th. Master Chef dinner was last night both ways and the entire main dining room was either early or late seating. We ate in the Lido both times since we were not up for a 2 hr dinner.

Secrets re Volendam for 1st timers going to Alaska, is go out on the bow when the ship is at the glaciers (too cold and breezy until then). Another spot to view Glacier Bay is in the gym. There are benches along the front windows on the window side of the treadmills with excellent views. There is also a door that leads to an open deck area on the port (left ) side of the ship. The port side gets the best viewing of the glaciers in Glacier Bay so I would want my balcony on that side if I had a choice.

I did not see anyone seasick on the ship or our KJ tour but we had exceptionally clam waters. My wife & I always take ginger pills, especially for small boats, but we are not inclined to seasickness.

Formal nights NB are 2nd & 6th nights while SB they were 2nd & 5th. Master Chef dinner was last night both ways and the entire main dining room was either early or late seating. We ate in the Lido both times since we were not up for a 2 hr dinner.

Secrets re Volendam for 1st timers going to Alaska, is go out on the bow when the ship is at the glaciers (too cold and breezy until then). Another spot to view Glacier Bay is in the gym. There are benches along the front windows on the window side of the treadmills with excellent views. There is also a door that leads to an open deck area on the port (left ) side of the ship. The port side gets the best viewing of the glaciers in Glacier Bay so I would want my balcony on that side if I had a choice.

Thanks for the info!~ I hope we will have calm waters too.

Robin, what was the medication of choice for you? I have the patch and Bonine, but I am still unsure which I want to use. I tried to get my doc to give me the scopace pills, but he wouldn't. My DH and I have been very seasick on one occasion and I don't want a repeat of that.

I have taken both 'Non-Drowsy Dramamine' and 'Bonine'. Both have the same active ingredient: Meclizine Hydrochloride 25mg. They both work well for me if I take them BEFORE I get sick. If I wait until after, I am sunk. :p I usually take one pill before any small boat excursion. (Unless I forget. :o ) If I feel ill while on the excursion, I will take another. (And that has happened.) I've been pretty lucky on the ships we've been on (nine cruises). I've only been ill a couple of times and not since I discovered meclizine. I do, however, take it at the first sign of high seas.

Some people recommend taking it as a preventative, but it makes me too sleepy (even though they purport to be 'non-drowsy'). Once I take it, I usually chase it with a Diet Coke or two and still fight sleepiness. (But anything labeled 'may cause drowsiness' can knock me out. I'm just ultra-sensitive.)

I tried the patch once. It gave me dry eyes. I had Lasik last year and fight dry eyes enough on my own and don't need anything that increases that! I'd never see anything!!! My father-in-law swears by the patch. He wears it every cruise and has never had a problem.

Being seasick is TERRIBLE. Those who have not suffered it do not know the misery! My husband was always one of those "it's all in your head" types until it happened to him last cruise. Now he's a believer! Heh.

Wishing you calm seas,

Robin

Thanks for the informative and helpful review, Patrick.

My DW and I will be celebrating our 35th anniversary on the Volendam beginning June 22--Seward to Vancouver. I appreciate your insight about glacier viewing. Thanks for the tip about White Pass RR--port side seating it is!

Did you check out what movies were showing?...and times? Any comments about the entertainment?

I hope our sailing is as calm as yours was. I sailed Holland America from NY City to Rotterdam when I was in HS in 1968, and I was deathly ill the entire way!

We too will be taking Amtrak to Seattle and will spend a couple days there. We will be sure to check out the Underground Seattle tour. It's good to hear that the border crossing has minimal problems.

I can't wait for our adventure of a lifetime!

I have taken both 'Non-Drowsy Dramamine' and 'Bonine'. Both have the same active ingredient: Meclizine Hydrochloride 25mg. They both work well for me if I take them BEFORE I get sick. If I wait until after, I am sunk. :p I usually take one pill before any small boat excursion. (Unless I forget. :o ) If I feel ill while on the excursion, I will take another. (And that has happened.) I've been pretty lucky on the ships we've been on (nine cruises). I've only been ill a couple of times and not since I discovered meclizine. I do, however, take it at the first sign of high seas.

Some people recommend taking it as a preventative, but it makes me too sleepy (even though they purport to be 'non-drowsy'). Once I take it, I usually chase it with a Diet Coke or two and still fight sleepiness. (But anything labeled 'may cause drowsiness' can knock me out. I'm just ultra-sensitive.)

I tried the patch once. It gave me dry eyes. I had Lasik last year and fight dry eyes enough on my own and don't need anything that increases that! I'd never see anything!!! My father-in-law swears by the patch. He wears it every cruise and has never had a problem.

Being seasick is TERRIBLE. Those who have not suffered it do not know the misery! My husband was always one of those "it's all in your head" types until it happened to him last cruise. Now he's a believer! Heh.

Wishing you calm seas,

Robin

Thanks for your advice about meclizine, Robin. I'm going to try it. I hope it works for me. I love those Diet Coke chasers. I tried the patch once but it gave me a terrible migraine headache.:(

Thanks for your advice about meclizine, Robin. I'm going to try it. I hope it works for me. I love those Diet Coke chasers. I tried the patch once but it gave me a terrible migraine headache.:(

Do be sure to talk to your doctor before taking it! Especially if you're taking other medications. (I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. ;)) I have had good luck with it, but your MD may suggest something else for you.

Oh, and enjoy your trip! The Volendam is a lovely ship. We think the R-class ships are the very best size of all.

Robin

Wishing you calm seas,

Robin

Actually I would like to go medicine free. Just do not know if I am brave enough to try it. As you said, seasickness is horrible. The only time I have been motion sick was on a ferry across Lake Michigan. It was the longest four hours of my life. I was praying to God to just take me!!! I was so miserable. Have never been that miserable again and don't want to be.

What I would like to try is the ginger root capsules and then use the relief band if necessary. I did buy those costly bands. However, I bought them through Magellans because they have the best return policy. Naturally, if they work, I would want to keep them. However, it they are ineffective, or I didn't need them at all, I wanted to be able to return them. My doctor said his patients have had good luck with wrist bands. I have a week to make up my final decision. Ugh!!! I was on Antivert (bonine) when it was a prescription medication and didn't have any side effects, so I guess at the moment that is what I am leaning to. Decisions!!!

Took Amtrak's Sunday am train to Vancouver. Easy way to go and no border BS. Grabbed a cab to Canada Place (~7 $CAN) and on the ship by 12:30pm.

Will a taxi in Vancouver accept $US as well as $CAN? We will only be in Vancouver for part of one day and wonder if we have to change any money.

revrep22

Entertainment was good. I enjoyed the shows and the magician, Craig Diamond who was hilarious and a good magician. I don't like the showroom - the main floor sightlines are bad since the floor is not adequately inclined. Big people will block your view if they are in front of you. The balcony sightlines are good.

Cab drivers do accept US $ at face value.

gbmystery

You do not have to get off in Seward. You can get off and on as you wish. They gave us a green card to show. However, HAL does not explain any of this to you. You find out by trial and error.

Patrick,

When you embarked in Vancouver on Sunday, do you happen to know if there was a Catholic Mass that evening?

I am not Patrick, but I was on the same cruise on the Volendam (b2b). I brought home most (but not all) of the daily programs. I don't have one for either embarkation day (Sunday), but re the other days: Northbound, mass was celebrated (at least) Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. On the southbound, (again - at least) Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Jewish services were held each week on Friday.

The laundry room on Deck 2 was open 24 hours. $2.00 for the washer; $1.00 for the dryer for 45 minutes. You will need quarters, which are available at the Front Desk.

I had a great cruise and loved the Volendam. I sincerely hope your experience will be the same.

Kate

I am not Patrick, but I was on the same cruise on the Volendam (b2b). I brought home most (but not all) of the daily programs. I don't have one for either embarkation day (Sunday), but re the other days: Northbound, mass was celebrated (at least) Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. On the southbound, (again - at least) Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Jewish services were held each week on Friday.

The laundry room on Deck 2 was open 24 hours. $2.00 for the washer; $1.00 for the dryer for 45 minutes. You will need quarters, which are available at the Front Desk.

I had a great cruise and loved the Volendam. I sincerely hope your experience will be the same.

Kate

Kate,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look up that information for me. I am happy to hear about the launderette being open 24 hours. I know I read that on some ships they were open limited hours. Thanks for the heads up.

If anyone else knows about the Sunday Mass on embarkation day from Vancouver, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Glad to hear you had a nice cruise. This will be our first and I am looking forward to it.

Archived