Rules with Wine

Yes, there are plenty of 'booze smuggling' threads here. Evidently boxed wine does better than bottles.

Many put bottles in ziplock bags in case of leakage, bury in clothes. Some are caught - some are not. Rules say they can deny you boarding for trying - but noody ever has been. If they see it on luggage scanning - they set your suitcase aside and call you to the 'naughty room' - and make you open your luggage. If they find booze, they confiscate it til end of cruise. Seems quite a few get away with it. Up to you if you choose to try it.

Anyone ever try to bring some wine in their luggage?

Celebrity officially allows 2 bottles per stateroom and charges USD 25 corkage fee. Since it is basically the same company and since RCCL only rules out liquour ( wine does not quite fall into that category ), I would not hesitate to bring 2 bottles in my handluggage and would also not hesitate to bring it with me into the dining room. That´s what I also plan to do on my next cruise since I get much better wines in Argentina than on the ship.

The wine package can be a saver, but it all depends which wines you choose in the end. I had a rather bad experience on the Voyager once, where they ran out of all the better wines in our category ( it was the platinum one ). We would have been better off not having the package in the end. So think twice and have a close look on the wines involved in the different packages and if you found your favourite one, buy several bottles to make sure they don´t run out again after a few days. They usually store the wine for you then.

Celebrity officially allows 2 bottles per stateroom and charges USD 25 corkage fee. Since it is basically the same company and since RCCL only rules out liquour ( wine does not quite fall into that category ), I would not hesitate to bring 2 bottles in my handluggage and would also not hesitate to bring it with me into the dining room. That´s what I also plan to do on my next cruise since I get much better wines in Argentina than on the ship.

Please come back after your next cruise and let us know if the wine actually makes it on board - I'm guessing no. While "basically the same company" they each have their own rules and regs.

Actually, RCCL rules out alcohol - not just liquor. So getting it aboard is one thing, but trying to take it into dining room is just asking for trouble IMO.

Onboard Policies

Q: Can I bring liquor (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

The wine package can be a saver, but it all depends which wines you choose in the end. I had a rather bad experience on the Voyager once, where they ran out of all the better wines in our category ( it was the platinum one ). We would have been better off not having the package in the end. So think twice and have a close look on the wines involved in the different packages and if you found your favourite one, buy several bottles to make sure they don´t run out again after a few days. They usually store the wine for you then.

Looks like I wasn´t concentrating when reading the RCCL rules. You are right, RCCL talks of alcohol in general. Well, I guess I´d consider wine as medicine then. ;-)

Anyway, don´t think that anyone will have problems bringing a bottle or two of wine onboard. Just don´t bring cartons.

I would also not hesitate to ask my waiter to be allowed to bring it into the dining room one night. With the money I and most people usually spent on wine and drinks on board, I don´t think they would dare to say "No". Would definitely not do it on day one or two of the cruise though.

Do we have to constantly beat this dead horse over and over and over again?

Do we have to constantly reply to threads, to complain about the topic of the threads? :rolleyes: The moderators could easily control the abundance of alcohol threads by merging them, but they choose not to.

I would also not hesitate to ask my waiter to be allowed to bring it into the dining room one night. With the money I and most people usually spent on wine and drinks on board, I don´t think they would dare to say "No".

Actually you'd be putting your waiter in a very difficult predicament. He could be fired if he was caught allowing you to do this. Royal Caribbean does not allow people to bring their own wine on board. If this is important to you, there are lines that allow you to do so (i.e. Holland America and Celebrity). If you want to break the rules, fine, do so at your own risk but don't put the staff in difficult situations because you do not think the rules apply to you.

Looks like I wasn´t concentrating when reading the RCCL rules. You are right, RCCL talks of alcohol in general. Well, I guess I´d consider wine as medicine then. ;-)

Anyway, don´t think that anyone will have problems bringing a bottle or two of wine onboard. Just don´t bring cartons.

I would also not hesitate to ask my waiter to be allowed to bring it into the dining room one night. With the money I and most people usually spent on wine and drinks on board, I don´t think they would dare to say "No". Would definitely not do it on day one or two of the cruise though.

Would they dare say no to chair hogs, or people cutting in the buffet lines or how about people who go to the front of the line to board a tender? Do we all to get to pick and choose which rules we want to follow?:eek:

Well - given extensive research into the subject here on the boards lol - I'd at least make an effort in concealment in your luggage - some bottles are confiscated.

As for dining room - a room steward - well there's some plausible deniability for a steward if you have a full bar set up in your room - but none for a waiter in dining room. They could lose their job on that one - so don't put them in that position is my suggestion.

Although this post is getting pretty ugly in tone....

I'd like to add, I was on the Mariner a couple weeks ago. Packed 2 bags of wine (bags removed from boxes) in my luggage. One white, one red. I am a wine drinker. I hate those fruity drinks, so.... in lieu of spending $7-$10 per glass on wine, I supplemented. Yes, I still purchased drinks on the cruise. Quite a few actually, including a bottle of wine the first evening and at least a glass of wine, in addition to another beer, glass of champagne or mixed drink each day. And when you add all the drinks my man purchased each day, and he's not a big drinker, our final bill was still $650.

I had no problem bringing it on board. I would absolutely not recommend bringing bottles. I refilled our initial wine bottle with wine and kept it in the fridge. I brought a glass of red wine to dinner or to shows most nights. The final night I brought a half bottle of white to dinner and the waiter put it on ice while serving me through dinner. (Remember, it was a wine brand they sold me in the beginning) I probably saved $300 by spending $45 in advance. I must say I'm not a huge fan of boxed wine. I certainly prefer an expensive bottle or glass of wine. But there are exceptions, camping, boating, etc.

Hope this helps...

Also, remember if you purchase any alcohol at the ports. It will be returned to you the final evening of your cruise. Meaning. You can enjoy it the final evening of your cruise. I hadn't anticipated we'd receive it in time to enjoy otherwise I would have purchased something nice.

Also, remember if you purchase any alcohol at the ports. It will be returned to you the final evening of your cruise. Meaning. You can enjoy it the final evening of your cruise. I hadn't anticipated we'd receive it in time to enjoy otherwise I would have purchased something nice.

We bought 2 glass bottles of rum in St Thomas a few years ago. We put them in our backpack and boarded the ship, prepared to surrender the bottles. The bag went thru the x-ray, they never said a word about it. We weren't trying to deceive them, I guess they were either distracted or apathetic in our case.

Archived