SeaSick Risk

Hopefully my last question before we sail - I and my 6y/o have never sailed before. I don't THINK we'll get seasick but I bought some Bonine just in case. Now the box says to take the pills 30 minutes before you "start the activity" but it also causes drowsiness. So, do we take the Bonine just in case, risk the drowsiness, and then let it wear off to see whether or not we actually do get seasick? OR Do we see if we get sick and then take it? I don't like to medicate me or my munchkin if not necessary but being queasy on our first day is not the best way to start a vacation!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;4;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600 Splendour - 1st cruise

I had never cruised before and my doctor gave me the patch ( you wear behind you ear). Directions tell you to put on before hand. Well I did and boy was I sick. The water was really rough but after one day I called the infirmary and they said to take the patch off, wait two hours them come down for some medicine. I took it off and in about 20 minutes I felt 100% better. After the cruise my doctor asked about the patch. I told her what happened and she told me that I should have never put the patch on unless I was sick. So my suggestion would be to wait and see. If you get sea sick take the medicine. I am going on a cruise in a month and I am not going to do anything unless I feel sick. Hope this helps.

I feel that sea sickness is a state of mind, it may not be but that is what I think. Because of this, when I took my kids, I never told them that there was a chance that they could get sick, this way it was not on their mind and we did not have a problem. Good luck and hopefully you will not need anything.

3/98 Grandeur of the Seas

4/00 Grandeur of the Seas

2/02 Enchantment of the Seas

04/16/05 Navigator of the Seas

It is almost impossible to actually get seasick on a cruise shipunless youa are in seas greater than 10 feet even to actually start feeling the motion.

Bill D

RCCL Song of Norway 7/79?

CCL ? 12/84

RCCL Viking Serenade 7/01

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/01

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 5/02

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 7/02

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/02

Princess Grand Princess 6/03

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 12/03

RCCL Vision of the Seas 3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600  Rhapsody of the Seas 5/30/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;20;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Empress of the Seas 12/20/2004

My wife is very suseptible to sea sickness, but has only experienced it once in five cruises. However, I disagree that it's nearly impossible to get sick unless the waves are greater than 10 feet. For instance, on the Monarch in January, many passengers were feeling queezy as we were leaving port. My guess is that the stabilizers could not be used until we were out of the habor, thus movement (side to side) was more noticeable than normal. The wake of the ship may have also been rebounding off harbor structures.

There is a catch 22 with sea sickness. If you wait until you are feeling sick, it is usually too late. But at the same time, you don't want to medicate yourself unnecessarily. If you are going to use Bonine, Dramamine, etc., it is best to take it a day or two before and then to take it at night. Therefore, if you experience drowsiness, you'll experience it during sleeping hours. The other options are homeopathic--sea or pressure bands, ginger pills, etc.

If you have a midship cabin, sometimes laying down will help or sit in the center part of the ship until the queeziness passes. Also, keep full as it will minimize the effects of movement. And if all else fails, fresh air and looking to the horizon will often help. A lot of times we feel motion sickness because our body (vestibular sense) says we're moving but our eyes tell us differently. As a result, we "feel" the movement but don't "see" the movement, which exacerbates the problems.

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

MONARCH OF THE SEAS (04/04)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;16;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

I take bonine a day before the cruise to let it get working in my system. If you don't, its too late to take it when you are sick already because it won't work then. I suffer from seasickness, carsickness, etc. and bonine works wonders and does not make me sleepy.

Majesty of the Seas 3/02

Monarch of the Seas 2/03

Serenade of the Seas 11/03

TEnter the DATE your ship is sailing on:

Month (1-12) Day (1-31) Year (2002-2005)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enter the TIME your ship is sailing on:

Hour (1-12) Minute (0-59) Select (AM/PM) AM PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choose the LOCATION (timezone) the ship sails from:

-1000 Alaska-Hawaii -0800 West Coast (Los Angeles, Vancouver) -0600 Gulf Coast (New Orleans, Texas) -0500 East Coast (NY, Florida, Puerto Rico) -0400 Nova Scotia -0330 Newfoundland -0300 Brazil, Greenland -0200 Azores Time -0100 West Africa +0000 GMT (England, Scotland, Ireland) +0100 CET (France, Middle European) +0200 EET (Finland, Eastean European) +0530 India +0700 West Australia (AST) +0800 HongKong, West Australian (ADT) +0900 Japan, Korean +0930 South Australia, Central Australia +1000 Guam, East Australia (EAT) +1030 Central Australia, South Australian (ADT) +1100 East Australian (ADT) +1200 New Zealand

Select a color Black Red Green Blue Purple Orange Olive Navy Aqua Lime Maroon Teal Fuchsia Dark Green Midnight Blue Deep Sky Blue Forest Green Royal Blue Dark Red Dark Violet Sienna Orchid Crimson Dark Salmon Gold Click for Examples

Enter an optional comment (50 char max) ex. 9/5 P

I had our kid's ages 7,5 and 3 out on their first cruise a couple years ago. First day out we were rumbling through 17' seas. The boys came out of Adventure Ocean around noon and said they didn't feel well. They didn't look it either. I immediately took them out on deck and grabbed some pizza and burgers. They said they weren't hungry but after making them take a few bites their illing was over. They scarfed the rest and were fine for the rest of our rough cruise. Just a tip from somebody who's taken 30+ cruises. Keep something in your stomach - bread/crackers/fruit are good. Don't go to your cabin and lay down. You may not make it back out. That happened to me as a boy on my second cruise and believe me it is no fun. Since then I've not allowed myself to become sick and I definitely agree about it being mostly psychological. One other tip if you drink booze don't over do it. Heck when it's rough enough you can have a couple and still bounce off the walls. Great fun.

Empress of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;29;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I firmly belive in Seabands. They are elastic wrist bands with small pressure beads available at most Dive Shops. I used to be very susceptible to seasickness. I would get sick on dive boats, big ships, etc. I tried the patches but they affected my eye sight. A dive instructor told me about the bands. Since purchasing and wearing the bands, I've not had a single problem. On our last cruise I thought I wouldn't need them, the boat started rocking and swaying as we pulled out from shore. I went to the cabin, put the bands on and within the hour felt fine. I also think calming your stomach with some Pepcid or Zantac helps.

In my never to be humble opinion..icon_smile.gif... Bonine is great. It doesn't make you tired. Take it in the morning before you get on the plane. Then every morning with your coffee. And you'll never have a problem. Then it'll be one less thing to worry about.

9 cruises and 9 no-problems.

I second byefairwind's suggestion. Our last cruise was by far the roughest we've ever been on. Even the crew was miserable. It makes it a lot easier if you keep something on your stomach. Also, it helps not to drink too much while you're at your worst (and I mean water, juice, whatever, in addition to the obvious) We were traveling with friends on their first cruise and as soon as she'd get a piece of bread or some crackers in her, she was fine.

Good luck,

Pam

RCI Sov. of the Seas 11/96

Carnival Elation 6/2000

Carnival Sensation 5/2002

Celebrity Century 11/2002

Celebrity Century 10/2003

Celebrity Century 11/2003

RCI Grandeur 5/2004

Princess Caribbean Princess 10/2004

May God bless the USA and all those fighting for freedom!

There are two types of Dramamine, regular and non-drowsy. I used to take the non-drowsy kind and was fine but now I wear the patch. It is too late to take anything if you are already sick (vomiting). Eating saltine crackers and drinking ginger ale also helps. I have some experience in this sickness. Years ago, I was on a Carnival cruise and we had 20 ft. seas due to the fact we were leaving Cozumel and was running from Hurricane Mitch.

The drawers in the cabins were opening and closing. It was really bad, however I have an awesome video I shot during the voyage. Hope you have smooth sailing.

bc cruiser

c

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;4;24;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Panama Canal Cruise

I am not inclined to "mal de mer" but I took my sister in law on a family cruise a while back. She swore she would get sick -- (she had never been on a plane or ship). Sure enough, she DID get sick and vomited her false teeth out -- they broke in the porcelain throne. I am still certain that a good part of her illness was psychological, but she really was sick.

I usually take Bonine if the weather is iffy-- before I feel anything.

Gene in Birmingham

Hey,

I am very prone to motion sickness and have used the sea bands with great success...

It is better than taking medicine...cheap..

about $8...I don't leave land without them on!!!

Kay

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;11;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail away on the Jewel of the Seas

All types of motion sickness are usually due to the fact that what your eyes see (unmoving cabin wall) is not what your body is feeling. Sometimes it helps to go out on an open deck and stare out at the horizon. It helps to re-orient yourself and can often quell seasickness.

Give yourself a chance first though...then take something if it bothers you.

Have fun!

Carnival Imagination 4/00

Holland America Veendam 3/03

One all natural rememdy is ginger tablets that you can purchase for quite cheap at a health food store. I don't like giving my daughter drugs either so I bought the ginger tabs. As it turns out we have not needed them yet. I have heard they are quite helpful. I actually take several different things just in case.

Shelly

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;23;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Rhapsody May 23rd 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaryWT:

I feel that sea sickness is a state of mind, it may not be but that is what I think. Because of this, when I took my kids, I never told them that there was a chance that they could get sick, this way it was not on their mind and we did not have a problem. Good luck and hopefully you will not need anything.

3/98 Grandeur of the Seas

4/00 Grandeur of the Seas

2/02 Enchantment of the Seas

04/16/05 Navigator of the Seas<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sea sickness is a state of inner ear. If you are one of those who get sea sick, you can be miserable. If you are one of those who don't get sea sick, thank your lucky stars. Just don't try to tell anyone that it is just in their mind.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

As one who is extremely motion senisative(sp?) I can tell you that waiting until you are sick is the worse thing you can do. I take Bonnie, and find it works very well, without make you sleepy, and I agree whole heartely with those who say keep something in your stomach. It works wonders. It doesn't have to be a lot, and watch the drinking, some but don't over do. You'll be fine. Being motion sick, is not in your head trust me.

Hmmmm,

I've seen people puking as we left port with the patch on. Literally feet from the dock. Not in the mind? Don't think so. If you take something that convinces you won't be sick you'll be fine. If you are prone to motion sickness take the medicine, keep something in your stomach, drink in moderation, don't shut yourself in your cabin and have fun!

Empress of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;29;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Haha ccletzgo!

You'll have to trust me that it wasn't from the drinking. I worked on a ship for a few months doing 10 and 11 day cruises out of FLL. As soon as they dropped the lines I'd start hearing comments about the motion and saw a few heaves during my tenure.

Empress of the Seas

Yarlenna, You are correct that motion sickness is a state of inner ear. I have suffered from it all of my life. It must be hereditary also. I rememeber family vacations with a car full of six vomiting kids. Fun times! icon_frown.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Majesty of the Seas

irene1.gif

Actually, motion sickness is a state of the inner ear (sensation) and a state of mind (perception). Both are senses and are mental interpretation of those experiences lead to motion sickness. It is also mental because the eyes are not sensing movement, but our vestibular sense is. As a result, our body becomes confused by the contradictor input. Thus, both sides are right. It is mental and it is physical (inner ear).

There are really only two types of preventions. Take medication of some type, or move about the ship. Either go to the center of ship where there is the least amount of movement and/or go to a point where you can see the horizon so that your eyes and vestibular sense are no longer contradicting one another.

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

MONARCH OF THE SEAS (04/04)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;16;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

i have always had the patch when i cruise after cruising to bermuda in sep and 2 days at sea were quite enough. can you have the patch on and take bonine at nite? and do the sea bands really work that quick? i may get them for my children as i do not know what the water is like on a eastern carib cruise. only cruised western besides bermuda.

thanks...richterscale

Nordic Prince 88 Homeric 89 Seaward 89 Sovereign 94 Majesty 01 Disney Magic 02 Jewel 04

Archived