Are you able to sleep the night before you leave?

needalatte74

I can never sleep and wake like every hour on the hour to look at the clock bc Im so excited and bc Im afraid the alarm might not go off and we might over-sleep! :p

Ditto.......That is if I can even fall asleep......:D

Bob

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Ditto.......That is if I can even fall asleep......:D

Bob

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Well this is true for me 2! I usually just try to lay very still as not to wake my BF with my constant tossing and turning!

• 2 years later...

I sleep like a kid on Christmas Eve - maybe a few fleeting nods but mostly impossible to stop my mind from racing about what's packed, what's missing, being on-time, etc. I made the mistake of taking some Advil PM too late into the night a couple vacations ago and it didn't knock me out but just made me feel like I was living in slow-mo and I couldn't quite snap out of it until we were flown, landed and aboard when the real excitement begins/began. I don't normally respond well to sleep-inducing medication, all around bad idea well remembered for subsequent vacations. I too am a worrier - enough for the two of us but I feel like the obsessive planning and thinking and packing pay off in excellently enjoyed vacations.

Oh, and can I just add that reading this thread has given me that sort of light headed, blood pumping, thoughts racing type of feeling that comes with getting ready to leave the night before vaca starts...and we're just under two months out?! Are we there yet? How about now? Now?

• 1 month later...

I can't sleep, even though I say that everything is ready. I wake up almost every hour, afraid I have overslept, watching the minutes on the clock. I usually wind up (at least once) during the night, tip-toeing through the house to the spare room, hoisting the suitcase back onto the bed, unzipping it and going through the clothes again. The "re-pack" always creates problems with the suitcase and I always regret opening the bag. On my second wake-up, I tiptoe to the kitchen table and empty the already sorted purse and re-sort to make sure nothing is forgotten. By morning, eveyone else wakes up re-freshed and I'm dragging myself to the coffee pot. I've tried everything to stop myself, but this has become a horrible cruise ritual and I seem to break.

I am getting excited just thinking about not sleeping and my cruise is still 160 days away! I can't sleep the night before...I will be going through everything for the millionth time and just so excited to hit the road. We are driving down to Florida the day before the cruise around 5am. I'm gonna have a hard time not wanting to get in the car on Wednesday after work and i'll still have 2 days to wait until we leave!

It is difficult to sleep the night before. I try to stay at a hotel with a view of Port Everglades so I can watch my ship enter the port. If that isn't possible, there is always the trusty Port Everglades webcam....

First night on the ship I sleep like a baby!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't usually have any problems sleeping the night before the cruise because I'm usually within 5-10 minutes from my ship.

The night before I fly out, I usually will stay up all night and get very little sleep only so that I can be very tired and sleep on those long flights. This time, I'm not flying out until early evening, so I'll be busy cleaning and getting the house ready for the sitter. I am usually packed and ready to go the night before. I have never forgotten to bring anything and I am not worried at all.

How in the world can you clean house the same day you are leaving in the evening for your flight? On that day, I am packed and anxiously awaiting to leave and am a basket case until I do :eek:. If I had to clean house I would be 3 basket cases :eek::eek::eek:.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we fly in a day before but the night before our flight i usually NEVER sleep or get more than an hr straight if that--but that night before the cruise i usually am so exhausted and end up with a pretty good nights sleep.

the flight is behind me and all i have to do is get up in the morning and head to the port just a mile or two away:)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No to sleeping at home the night before flying to my pre-cruise hotel.

No to sleeping in the hotel the night before embarkation.

I either tossed and turned, unable to fall asleep at all, or lapsed in and out of sleep, due to the bizarre dream I kept getting. I'd find myself on a ship (the context didn't make it clear if it was Imagination or not), and it'd be all dirty and derelict. In either case, I'd give on the notion of a full night's sleep and get up long before I planned to, only to be startled by the alarm clock going off while I'm showering.

But in the morning, seeing Imagination docked in port, Carnival funnel and all, was a massive mood elevator. What made me laugh out loud was seeing a broken window on the Lido deck wrapped in yellow "caution" tape. Maybe that's what my dream was telling me. And on my first cruise night, I was out cold within minutes of going to bed; the rocking of the ship and the white noise of the thursters helped me fall asleep even faster.

It's funny. We're always completely ready to go the night before, nothing to worry about, checklist completed. I go to bed and swear that since I KNOW I'm really all ready I'll sleep. Then won't. Not for hours. I'll finally fall asleep about three hours before I have to get up. This is usually a blessing in disguise though cause I hate to fly and wind up getting the missed sleep on the plane out of sheer exhaustion.

Archived