Are you able to sleep the night before you leave?

needalatte74

This year I've talked my brothers and sister inlaws ( 2 of them 1st time cruisers )into going so there will be 11 of us going down 3 days early staying at cocoa beach. I'm pretty sure it will be a three day party prior to boarding.We all have aft cabins booked. My oldest brother is the corner aft cabin deck 7. since his balcony is the largest we are pretty sure the party will continue there once we board. ! We are all sooo excited.

The night before flying, hubby sleeps, while I'm busy doing my usual things - being a night owl and playing catch up because I procrastinated when it came to packing...again :o :rolleyes: . Plus, I still worry a little about flying, and I'm trying to get the house ready for us to departure - timers to feed fish, lights, unplugging things, laundry, etc.

Once we arrive in the port city, I have no trouble going to sleep early that night. Guess because there's nothing left to worry about or do except get to the cruise ship on time the next day :D .

Heck, I am thirty five days out and I cant sleep! I spend most of my time thinking about the cruise, planning excursions, daydreaming about the day when I will finally set foot on the Conquest, OR I can sit for HOURS surfing this site! I am somewhat obsessed with my upcoming vacation. The time now is 2:20 am....This is not healthy you know! Too bad the excitement of planned cruise doesnt kill the appetite! Dropping a few pounds would be much better than losing sleep!

I get in bed early but I don't fall asleep until hours later because I'm worrying about what I may have forgotten, do I have enough clothes, do I have enough money. I stay up thinking about everything that could go wrong.

Oh, dear, that sounds JUST LIKE ME!:eek: My stomach winds up in knots!

It is the day before leaving. I am half packed, half my clothes and half her clothes in one suitcase, she packs the other, and adds more clothes. All of this in the downstairs bedroom. That way I can sleep until 5:45AM wake up, SSS, get dressed and make one last check on the check list (2 pages long). Pack the car at 6:45A and drive to the airport at 7AM thru Atlanta Ga Traffic on Friday morning. All the while she has been up since 3AM packing her half. She will sleep all the way to the airport. All boarding passes have been printed. We always go to our port city a day ahead of time. That way any unforseen things can get fixed.

Good Sailing, tomorrow I'm outta here!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My problem isn't going to sleep, it's the waking up part that's always a kiler for me.

:D

For our first cruise, last year, I didn't have any trouble sleeping as I was pretty tired from a grueling work schedule. This year, it doesn't look much different. Then again, I'm getting married a week before the cruise, and will take that week before the cruise off as well, so hopefully I'll be able to overcome my "sleep deficit."

• 2 weeks later...
It is the day before leaving. I am half packed, half my clothes and half her clothes in one suitcase, she packs the other, and adds more clothes. All of this in the downstairs bedroom. That way I can sleep until 5:45AM wake up, SSS, get dressed and make one last check on the check list (2 pages long). Pack the car at 6:45A and drive to the airport at 7AM thru Atlanta Ga Traffic on Friday morning. All the while she has been up since 3AM packing her half. She will sleep all the way to the airport. All boarding passes have been printed. We always go to our port city a day ahead of time. That way any unforseen things can get fixed.

Good Sailing, tomorrow I'm outta here!!!!!

I hear you with Georgia traffic.. but we pick ports to drive to.

In other words.. no sleep for me! We're on the road around 2-4AM to make sure we have time to get to FL!

(One time, we missed the 85/75 split and went the wrong way.. had to add a little over an hour to our drive time to correct it! oops..)

We don't fly to Italy till the 30th of this month and I can't sleep already.....

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

We just can't help ourselves!

By the time i've gone over the packing list 20 times and stressed myself out because i can't find the right shoes to go with the right outfits. And i've just been reminded abut being obsessed with knowing where each piece of documentation is - you think i'd be too tired to not sleep

no - I lay awake worrying i'm going to miss the early alarm, although we set at least 2 just in case the electric goes off!

Then I finally fall asleep 30 mins before I'm due to get up and then i go through the airport on autopilot, feeling sick, as I have no idea where I am or what i'm doing.

By the time I get to the ship, it's all forgotten and I'm ready to race the gangplank and party

I start losing sleep a couple of weeks before we leave, thinking about the trip, what we need to pack, what we have to do to get the house ready, the mail, the cat, etc.

The night before we leave I do a double check of our luggage lists, put everything at the front door and usually fall into bed around midnight, but not before setting a regular wind-up alarm clock in addition to the electric one. (OCD, I know, but I don't want to miss the flight). I'm usually too excited to sleep - or if I do pass out, it isn't for long, so I get up and spend about an hour on the treadmill, then shower, make coffee and wake DH so we can depart for the airport. I usually hit coma status as soon as the flight takes off and don't care if the whole plane hears me snoring . . . I'm heading for a cruise!:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I am always up all night before a cruise....it's not that I couldn't sleep, it's

just that I usually work up until the last day, and I am on call practically

every night before, as well. I want to maximize my vacation time and my

income while I'm gone. Therefore, packing, etc, don't usually get done

until the night before. I'm throwing things into the suitcase as I'm heading out the door!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I will probably not sleep for a good 3-4 days prior to our cruise coming up in September. We are getting married the day before we cruise and I'm gonna be a nervous wreck for a good week!! Oh, how I can't wait though for all the events!!

~Brandy

Brandy-no wonder! How was the wedding?

I never sleep well before traveling-I think it is the change in my routine. I am a "creature of habit." I never sleep well the last night of a cruise/trip either.

No way! I stay up way to late organizing and doing last minute packing. Then I have to clean the house. I HATE coming home to a dirty house.

I think of 500 million little things that I need to do and think about them over and over all night so I don't forget to do them.

Then I usually fall asleep about 45 minutes before I have to get up, and end up sleeping in more than I should!! Aghhhh I do it every vacation!

Brandy-no wonder! How was the wedding?

I never sleep well before traveling-I think it is the change in my routine. I am a "creature of habit." I never sleep well the last night of a cruise/trip either.

The Wedding was absolutely perfect! We couldn't have asked for anything better. We were short one bridesmaid due to complications with a previous surgery, but otherwise it was great. (Especially since our bridesmaid is good now)

We got about 1 hour of sleep before we had to drive to the airport. We made our ship had lunch and took a nap so we would be well rested! Our honeymoon was an amazing trip and we can't wait to sail again!

I'm already worrying. We had to book a same-day flight this year, something I hate to do in the winter because we live in New England. But the airline costs sky-rocked and we couldn't afford to add the extra day on top of the inflated flight costs. (Flight costs are falling now, but I booked them early, when gas prices were climbing daily, trying to avoid waiting until it got even worse! You win some, you lose some.)

We have a 7AM flight the day of the cruise, so we'll need to be up at 3AM, on the road by 4AM. And yes, it's a lousy way to start a vacation, but it does allow us to endure some significant flight delays without missing the ship. And not missing the ship was a lot more important than not missing sleep!!!

I'll be setting multiple alarms on Saturday night, to make my Sunday flight. I'm already losing sleep over it!! Of course, some of that may be due to the intense excitement!

Ever notice how LONG the week before the cruise is? I can't believe it's only Wednesday. This week is DRAGGING!!!

The last several days at home I have more & more to do to get ready ... the household stuff, all the trip planning stuff, all the "us" stuff, my stuff ... Mr Chew takes about 30 minutes the night before we leave!

So I am usually exhausted the last night at home, fall into bed late, so tired I drop right off, up early with the alarm ... that first night away, I'm tired from the day's traveling and have no problem sleeping, and the next night - the first one really into the trip - I'm so relaxed I have no problem sleeping!!

Archived