I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

UPDATE:

raileurope.com - they are not currently selling tickets for these trips, but asked for my email to let me know when the tickets are for sale. I was able to put in both stations so I think it may work :-) I tried earlier dates to get an idea of the prices, but could not get any rates to come up even for travel in April....that could indicate a problem :-(

MARAZUL: Menge tak for the Rail Europe. Where is your travel? Does it go to a foreign country, or within Denmark and/or Danish train? Apparently there is sales seperation for Sweden and Denmark travel.

My trip is from Stockholm to Copenhagen in July. I had also tried earlier and also gave them my email so they could notify me. However, when I tried again this weekend, the prices had come up, so I reserved. Then they replied that they would contact me with details. On Monday, I got an email with the info I gave you above about when they would issue and send the tickets. So all is well.

By the way, if your travel is all within Denmark you probably don't need to reserve ahead of time. I asked a Danish friend who said that taking domestic trains is like taking the subway in NYC. Just go to the station and buy the tickets. If there are very few trains on your route I would also like to get tickets ahead of time, but it doesn't seem to be a big problem.

DV - tak - so none of the Scandinavian countries use the Euro?

The 3 you mentioned are the ones we will be visiting.

MARAZUL: tak - we are going from Copenhagen to Falkenberg, Sweden. I'll call RailEurope as it seems they have the info I need; it probably just isn't fed into the computer yet. I believe they are open til 8 EST. (my time)

Here are the busy days in Copenhagen so if you don´t like the crowds in the Carribean then cross you fingers that you are not visiting on these days. :p

Now i´m just kidding you, Copenhagen has no problems with that many ships but the lines at the tourist sites would probably be longer.

1 juni, Ryndam, Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Eclipse og Jewel Of The Seas.

4 juni: Costa Luminosa, Emerald Princess, MSC Orchestra, MSC Poesia, Norwegian Sun og Rotterdam.

5 juni: Costa Atlantica, Eurodam, Queen Elisabeth og Ocean Countess.

11 juni: Marina, Prinsendam, Costa Luminosa, Empress, Grand Mistral, MSC Orchestra og Saga Ruby.

12 juni: AIDABlu, Costa Atlantica, Costa Magica, Crystal Serenity, Gemini og Seven Seas Voyager.

13 juni: Crystal Serenity, Gemini, C. Columbus, Celebrity Constellation, Costa Marina, Jewel Of The Seas og Norwegian Sun.

16 juni: Costa Luminosa, Grand Mistral, Insignia, MSC Orchestra og Silver Whisper.

18 juni: Aidasol, Costa Luminosa, Grand Mistral, MSC Orchestra og Sea Dream 1

26 juni: Costa Atlantica, Emerald Princess, Gemini, MSC Poesia og Spirit of Adventure.

29 juni: Ryndam, Black Watch, Celebrity Eclipse, Costa Deliziosa, Eurodam, Prinsendam, Seabourn Pride og Seabourn Sojourn

2 juli: Grand Mistral, AIDABlu, Costa Luminosa, Costa Magica, MSC Orchestra og Silver Whisper.

7 juli: Azamara Journey, Aidacara, Celebrity Constellation, Crystal Serenity, Emerald Princess, Island Sky, Jewel Of The Seas og The World.

10 juli: Arcadia, Costa Atlantica, Gemini, MSC Poesia, Norwegian Sun og Vision Of The Seas.

22 juli: Costa Magica, Queen Victoria, Saga Pearl II og SEabourn Sojourn

30 juli: Grand Mistral, Costa Luminosa, MSC Orchestra, Silver Cloud og Silver Whisper.

31 juli: Costa Atlantica, Eurodam, Gemini, Jewel Of The Seas, MSC Poesia og Seabourn Sojourn.

6 august: Costa Luminosa, Empress, Grand Mistral, MSC Orchestra, Norwegian Sun og Ocean Countess.

7 august: Aidasol, Arcadia, Azamara Journey, Costa Atlantica, Gemini, MSC Poesia og Seabourn Pride.

BTW the list is in danish but i think that you can read it anyway.

Osterport does not go into the RailEurope search engine.

Copenhagen does work.

I think there is some difficulty because I can't put the little .. above the o. Nor can I put the / through the O as in Osterport. However this is an English site, so there shouldn't be a problem. I have been on hold for quite some time now.

I will ask them the same questions.

(continued from above)

Rail Europe is able to book use for two round trips from Copenhagen to Falkenberg. They have no knowledge of Osterport.

Cost would be 348.00 plus 33.00 handling and mailing fee.

I think this is the best way to go. My only concern is walking to Osterport station and them saying "Sorry, your ticket is for a train that leaves from Copenhagen".

Danish Viking said all trains will leave from Osterport 9 minutes earlier and it is in the same fare zone so money should not be the problem, only if they will let us on the train at Osterport.

Do any of you think I should be concerned?

Another interesting discovery. I can buy a 3 day Denmark, Sweden, and Norway rail pass for both of us for 318.00 plus the $33.00 handling fee! I could use this for our trip to Sweden and perhaps something else while in Norway (Bergen funicular?) etc. A difference is that it is 2nd class. Something else to think about!

Hmmmmm.

@sansterre: It is probably easiest to go with these tickets. How are you planning to get to Østerport station? Bus?Taxi? If you take the bus, you have already paid for your fare all the way to Central station, and you are allowed to choose whatever transport mode you want to get to Central Station, including the Østerport to Central station part of your train to Falkenberg, so then you are all set! If you take a taxi, and really want peace in mind, you could continue in the taxi to Central Station. Btw, Østerport IS in the RailEurope database, it's just called Oesterport here, but the schedules are not correct, they say that you have to change at Central Station, which is not necessary. If they can put Østerport on the ticket and you really want peace in mind, they you could try to ask! But I don't think it matters as it is in the same fare zone.

About the rail pass: sound like a good deal. And second class is just fine on those trains. First class is less crowded though, and trains can get a bit crowded especially between Copenhagen and Malmö. But you need to find out what to use the railpass for, so that you can maximize the use of it!

I think there is some difficulty because I can't put the little .. above the o. Nor can I put the / through the O as in Osterport.

sansterre,

glad you are working out your tickets. Raileurope was very useful to us.

Here is a quick shortcut for you typing problems - cut and paste ö and Ø

You can also use ASCII characters, but the cut and paste method is the quickest.

@ cruisinlivin

The Square, Imperial, Radisson Blu Royal, Scandic Palace Hotel and Copenhagen Plaza is all located in the downtown area.

@ KerbyTex

pickpockets are a problem in all european city´s because of the damned Roma people but i don´t think its any worse than any other city.

We will be arriving CPH on June 30 and embark on the Norwegian Sun on July1.

What is your recommendation how to get from the airport to the Scandic hotel on June 30, then how to get to the pier(not sure which pier it is) from the Scandic on July 1, and how to get from the pier(again not sure if it is a different pier) to the airport on July 10. Thanks so much.

@sansterre: It is probably easiest to go with these tickets. How are you planning to get to Østerport station? Bus?Taxi? If you take the bus, you have already paid for your fare all the way to Central station, and you are allowed to choose whatever transport mode you want to get to Central Station, including the Østerport to Central station part of your train to Falkenberg, so then you are all set! If you take a taxi, and really want peace in mind, you could continue in the taxi to Central Station. Btw, Østerport IS in the RailEurope database, it's just called Oesterport here, but the schedules are not correct, they say that you have to change at Central Station, which is not necessary. If they can put Østerport on the ticket and you really want peace in mind, they you could try to ask! But I don't think it matters as it is in the same fare zone.

We were going to walk from the cruise ship. It doesn't appear to be that far (DV had posted a map a few pages back). Of course if we are not at the south end of the cruise port, then it may be further. We will not have luggage, only a tote perhaps with some USA souvenirs.

I am thinking it is a 10 minute walk at our slow pace.

If I am wrong on this, please do let me know.

Marazul

"cut and paste ö and Ø"

You are brilliant! I should have thought of that myself :-)

I'll try it tomorrow. Rail Europe is in Chicago and she tried entering Osterport with no luck. She said she didn't have the special o's either. So, unless whoever feeds the computer has it,

even the cut and paste method may not work.

If I didn't have all of you helping me, I'd have given up on this family reunion adventure a long time ago. Menge tak, Jean

My husband and I will be visiting with our 10 year old daughter during late June for one day prior to our cruise. Our plan is to spend the evening at Tivoli. Our budget is small. Please recommend an inexpensive restaurant ( hole in the wall, something filling, whatever) near the park or our hotel Somandsjemmet Bethel. The concept is to fuel up for the evening and buys only a small snack in the park.

remember that railpasses need to be validated before first use. You need to plan time for that. And you need separate reservations too .

This is something I hadn't considered. Time may be important that morning. And for my husband's sake, I must make this as easy as possible. He is easily stressed:eek:

No doubt a less crowded train will be worth the extra money since most of the day will be spent in the train.

DV: thanks for all the Krona info. Our pockets will be full of SEK, DK, and NK - sure to confuse us with the slightly different rates. They probably look similar too, right?

CHRISMO: I will try the spelling Oesterport. Maybe that will work on Rail Europe site. Good thinking!

AHA! The Oesterport spelling worked on Rail Europe site.

But now another question comes up:

The trains leave 16 minutes earlier as Danish Viking had told me.

However they ALL seem to change trains in Copenhagen. We have 10 minutes to change trains. This makes me a little nervous.

will we need to walk far?

will we find the right train? (are they always on time?)

will the first train be on time?

what happens if it is late?

Now, I'm thinking it may be best to get a taxi or other transportation to the main station. Thought?

My husband and I will be visiting with our 10 year old daughter during late June for one day prior to our cruise. Our plan is to spend the evening at Tivoli. Our budget is small. Please recommend an inexpensive restaurant ( hole in the wall, something filling, whatever) near the park or our hotel Somandsjemmet Bethel. The concept is to fuel up for the evening and buys only a small snack in the park.

We had a fantastic dinner two years ago on the main street, just a couple blocks from Tivoli. I don't remember the name of it, but recall windows across the entire front.

All 4 of us (two children around 20) enjoyed everything. It served large portions and was relatively inexpensive.

Wish I could recall the name, but there were several restaurants in the area. We walked in off the street, they were very busy, but gave great service once seated.

Marazul

"cut and paste ö and Ø"

You are brilliant! I should have thought of that myself :-)

I'll try it tomorrow. Rail Europe is in Chicago and she tried entering Osterport with no luck. She said she didn't have the special o's either. So, unless whoever feeds the computer has it,

even the cut and paste method may not work.

If I didn't have all of you helping me, I'd have given up on this family reunion adventure a long time ago. Menge tak, Jean

Here is the other way to do the special characters - you need to press and hold the 'Alt' key and then enter the numerals on the number pad (make sure your number lock is on) - it will not work with the numerals on the main keyboard!

Ö = Alt 0214

ö = Alt 0246

Ø = Alt 0216

ø = Alt 0248

You can find a handy "cheat sheet" of these 'ASCII' codes here (scroll down to see the above characters)

Here is the other way to do the special characters - you need to press and hold the 'Alt' key and then enter the numerals on the number pad (make sure your number lock is on) - it will not work with the numerals on the main keyboard!

Ö = Alt 0214

ö = Alt 0246

Ø = Alt 0216

ø = Alt 0248

You can find a handy "cheat sheet" of these 'ASCII' codes here (scroll down to see the above characters)

Amazing! they do think of everything:-) º™¡¢

Hmmmm, doesn't seem to work< but did get an interesting result above!

(I tried to do the Ø)

Will this system work on an Apple or is just for Windows?

What is the numeral lock and what do you mean by (U)?

Amazing! they do think of everything:-) º™¡¢

Hmmmm, doesn't seem to work< but did get an interesting result above!

(I tried to do the Ø)

Will this system work on an Apple or is just for Windows?

What is the numeral lock and what do you mean by (U)?

From what I can find, it should work on Apple too, but with different values -

see http://ascii-table.com/ascii-extended-mac-list.php

You may not have a number lock on your keyboard if the number keys on the designated number keypad do not have dual functionality.

Not sure what you refer to in "what do you mean by (U)?"

Danish Viking,

I was reviewing my notes on how to get from Vor Freslers Kirk back to Langelinie Pier. I'm confused about bus 26.

"From Christianshavn you can take the metro one stop to Kongens Nytorv (takes 2 minutes and runs every 3 minutes) walk to Kongens/Magasin bus station and catch bus number 26 directly to Langelinie.

The bus to Langelinie goes at XX:07, XX:27 and XX:47, the bus to Freeport cruise terminal is at XX:18, XX:38 and XX:58. You can use the bus to Freeport but you will have to walk 3-400 meters to Langelinie from the DFDS Ferry Terminal."

My question is: Are there 2 different bus 26 times or is it the same bus, with a drop off at Indiakaj stop continuing onto the DFDS Terminal. When I did two different journey planners, one from Kongens Nytorv/Magasin to Langelinie and one from Kongens Nytorv/Magasin to DFDS both routes used the same bus, it just took a couple minutes longer for the bus to get to DFDS.

The route to Langelinie had a drop off at Indiakaj with a 7 minute walk to Langelinie pier. Does this sound like the correct route?

Mange Tak,

Sheal

From what I can find, it should work on Apple too, but with different values -

see http://ascii-table.com/ascii-extended-mac-list.php

You may not have a number lock on your keyboard if the number keys on the designated number keypad do not have dual functionality.

Not sure what you refer to in "what do you mean by (U)?"

175 AF U+00D8 Ø Latin capital letter O with stroke

While trying to follow these directions, I found that if I hold the ALT button down and hit the small o, I get ø

Ø, if the caps lock is on ;)

Mange Tak !

@ greenh25

Scandic has several properties in Copenhagen so i need the name of the hotel.

The Sun will depart (an arrive) from the freeport terminal on all dates this season.

@ Maxy Mouse

If you hit Jensens Bøfhus (Steakhouse) before 16:00 you can get the food cheaper.

The restaurants at Vesterbrogade 11A, Rådhuspladsen 57 and Axeltorv 6 is located next to Tivoli and Gråbrødretorv 15 is located inbetween Nyhavn and Tivoli.

@ Sheal

The bus splits up after Østerbro Station

After Østerbro the stop towards Langelinie pier is Indiakaj and Langeliniekaj (Østmolen)

As you can see the bus will in the evening only run to Indiakaj but it is the stop before Langeliniekaj so i would say shorter than 7 minutes.

The other is DFDS Terminalen, Skudehavnsvej (the freeport terminal) and Færgehavn Nord.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/26-0026-270110.pdf

Here is a map where i created the other bus route, it will stop around Pakhusvej (the small road on the map) so if you by mistake take this bus you won´t have to walk that far.

DFDS Terminalen is called Passagerterminalen on this map.

http://map.krak.dk/m/IB2m9

@ sansterre

As chrismo told you there is no need to change train at København H because all Öresund trains also depart from Østerport.

The train departs from Østerport at 09:24 or 10:24 and will depart from København H at 09:33 or 10:33.

The ticket will probably have to be validated (if its not printed with a date on) but this will only take a few seconds.

Danish Viking,

Thanks so much for the timetable. My notes about the XX:07, XX:27, XX:47 and XX:18, XX:38, XX:58 would have applied if we were there Monday-Friday.

Since we are visiting on a Sunday I can see that the bus to take would be at XX:27 or XX:47. The XX:07 would run to DFDS Terminal. We leave at 17:00 so the bus would still be running to Langelinie.

Can I purchase single tickets good for both the metro and bus when we get to the metro station in Christianshavn?

Mange Tak,

Sheal

Archived