I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

I just ordered the 72 hour card and Roskilde Museum is on the list of freebies that I looked at. So is Roskilde Domkirke (I don't know what that is :o)

That's the cathedral. Here is a link: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&rlz=1I7GGIE_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Roskilde+Domkirke+Denmark&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Domkirke+Denmark&hnear=Roskilde,+Denmark&cid=6083837527310137833

I just thought it may be of interest to those folks who try not to change any currency and want to pay most with their credit card (especially if their banks don't charge them a fee - I am not so lucky :rolleyes:, therefore use mostly cash)

It is true that most credit cards charge anywhere from 3-5%....and its sometimes buried in the exchange rate. But in the US we have the magic of CapitalOne cards which do not charge any fees and use the wholesale rate of exchange. Their Master Card has no annual fee and is our card of choice for any transaction outside the USA (we travel about 6 months a year). Although our ATM (Debit Card) does not charge us a fee, their processing is still handled by Visa International who builds in a 1% fee (a pretty good deal). But because of that 1% fee we have found that the CapitalOne Master Card gives us a slightly better rate.

Hank

It is true that most credit cards charge anywhere from 3-5%....and its sometimes buried in the exchange rate. But in the US we have the magic of CapitalOne cards which do not charge any fees and use the wholesale rate of exchange. Their Master Card has no annual fee and is our card of choice for any transaction outside the USA (we travel about 6 months a year). Although our ATM (Debit Card) does not charge us a fee, their processing is still handled by Visa International who builds in a 1% fee (a pretty good deal). But because of that 1% fee we have found that the CapitalOne Master Card gives us a slightly better rate.

Hank

Hank, the point I was trying to make was that even though you are not being charged a fee by your bank, the establishment accepting your card (the example I quoted was a restaurant) charges you a fee for accepting a foreign credit card.

We will be arriving on the Vision of the seas at C245 I believe on 3rd May.

The closest station is Nordhavn according to your great map @ http://map.krak.dk/m/MkyOt

Can we buy a citypass ticket there? Is it cash only or can we use a card?

We are a family of four (children are 12 & 15).

Assume there is left luggage at the airport as currently thinking of going there early (7am ish) and then returning to the city for the day before our 4.30pm flight.

Thank you Danish Viking and Canadarocks for confirming what I thought regarding the Viking Museum. We plan to get the train in from the airport then visit Roskilde the following morning so I don't think it would be worth getting a 24 hour Copenhagen card. Would that be correct?

@ isdoo

Yes you can purchase the citypass at Nordhavn station and there is a luggage storage between terminal 2 and 3 at the airport.

@ vival

If i was you i would buy the 24 hour transportation card (not the citypass) that will cover your transportation from the airport to downtown Copenhagen and also to and from Roskilde.

@ vival

If i was you i would buy the 24 hour transportation card (not the citypass) that will cover your transportation from the airport to downtown Copenhagen and also to and from Roskilde.

Thank you. Can I buy card online and have you an idea of cost?

, the point I was trying to make was that even though you are not being charged a fee by your bank, the establishment accepting your card (the example I quoted was a restaurant) charges you a fee for accepting a foreign credit card.

Do you know if this is also true for foreign debit cards? We are going to be in Copenhagen for 2 days so all these little fees can add up!! Do I need to check with our hotel if they will also charge such a fee?

I read pages 137 thru 54, Danish Viking & Cruisin in Europe have been a god send, many, many thanks!

My turn to ask - we dock at Freeport Pier on a sunday, so no bus #26. What kind of a walk is it to Langeliene to get the #26? Is it a doable walk to Tivoli from the Freeport P?

Again thanks for all your time & effort you have put into this thread.

ron

@ SSN

There are no racks in the busses but if you go for the backseats you can fill up a little bit more.

Thank you, Danish Viking. Hopefully we can get to the back of the bus without hitting anyone.

I've read that the boys of the Tivoli Guards play the band in the afternoon on Saturdays and Sundays. Do they still play now? Do you know what time in the afternoon? Thanks again!:)

Just a little info regarding the fee on foreign cards.

The kiosks at the central station charges 0,75% on foreign credit cards.

@ vival

24 hour transportation card can be purchased at the airport and at the train stations for 130 DKK.

@ cirman52

I would take the S-train from and to Nordhavn station where you can walk to the pier.

Tivoli is located next to the central station (København H)

http://map.krak.dk/m/aIqL1

@ SSN

The schedule is here.

http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-5942.htm?id=96ECDC2937CEE5BBC1257847004C96C2

Hi Danish Viking! Thanks for all your help in answering questions about your country! I posted a new thread with a few questions, but will list it here too, in case you do not see the other thread. Can you help on any of them? Thanks in advance!

For the direction questions, we don't mind walking, so if walking is the easiest way, that is fine, but if you can provide an approx. distance / timeframe, that would be helpful too!

(1) From the airport, what is the best way to get to the Marriott hotel using public transportation?

(2) If you are at the Little Mermaid statue / Kastellet Park, what is the best way to get to the zoo using public transportation?

(3) We are planning a visit to Kronborg Castle. What are the best parts of the castle to see if we end up being limited on time?

(4) From the Borsen / Royal Library area to Christianhavn is it walkable? or do you need to take the water bus (Harbor bus)?

(5) To get to Tivoli from Christianshavn area is it best to walk or public transportation? How long would the walk be? If public transportation, what would be the best way?

@ Danish Viking

sometime ago you answered my post re: best way to get to Brede and Folk Museum. Is there a train pass or Copenhagen card that you would recommend for purchase or would individual fares be the way to go? We are also planning to spend the evening in Tivoli when we reurn to Kobenhaven H.

Ev

@ mescat4

The entrances to both Brede Works and Frilandsmuseet (open air museum) is free so the Copenhagen Card (249 DKK) will not be useful because the entrance to Tivoli is only 80 DKK but if you are planning on using the Canal tour (free with the CPH Card) or other things included in the card on the same day it might be an good investment afterall.

The 24 hour transportation Card (130 DKK) would be a good option if you are planning on travel inside Copenhagen aswell but not visiting any sights in the time frame.

But if you tell me the numbers of travellers in your group and if any of them are under 16 years old (also under 12) i can calculate if a discount card (aka 10 trip stamping card) is the better option.

A single 5 zone ticket is 60 DKK.

1) The best way is to take the train from the airport to the central station (København H) and not the metro.

From here you can walk to Marriott.

http://map.krak.dk/m/aIDKr

2) Bus number 26 (direction Ålholm Plads) will get you almost to the Zoo with no change at all, just use the stop called De Små Haver (The Small Gardens) and then you will only have to walk a few 100 meters.

If you want to go directly you can take bus number 26 to the Central station and change to bus 6A (direction Rødovrehallen) that goes directly to the Zoo.

As you can see on this map 26 and 6A shares bus stops at København H

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Hovedbanen.pdf

You can also Take bus number 26 to Østerport (still the same direction) and change for a southbound S-train.

You can now either Change to bus 6A at Vesterport (small and more easy to get around) or the central station (København H).

3) I would suggest the tower and the maritime museum and also the Catacombs.

4) Bus 2A to Kastrup st. and sometimes Lergravsparken st. and bus 40 to Refshaleøen will get you directly from Børsen to Christianshavn metrostation.

http://map.krak.dk/m/aIhEr

5) Bus 2A (direction Tingbjerg, Gavlhusvej) and 40 (direction Nordhavn st.) will get you back to Tivoli from Christianshavn metrostation.

@ mescat4

The entrances to both Brede Works and Frilandsmuseet (open air museum) is free so the Copenhagen Card (249 DKK) will not be useful because the entrance to Tivoli is only 80 DKK but if you are planning on using the Canal tour (free with the CPH Card) or other things included in the card on the same day it might be an good investment afterall.

The 24 hour transportation Card (130 DKK) would be a good option if you are planning on travel inside Copenhagen aswell but not visiting any sights in the time frame.

But if you tell me the numbers of travellers in your group and if any of them are under 16 years old (also under 12) i can calculate if a discount card (aka 10 trip stamping card) is the better option.

A single 5 zone ticket is 60 DKK.

I will also be visiting Aarhus. Is the open air folk museum in Aarhus as good or better than the one in Copenhagen? Also, to go from Tivoli to the Little Mermaid should I take bus 26?

I think that they are equal in size and reputation so i would not choose one over another.

Bus number 26 will get you to Langelinie but you can also get a north bound train to Østerport and either walk to Langelinie or take 26 the rest of the way.

@ Danish Viking

Thanks again for the prompt answer to my query. We're a party of two, and both of us are several multiples of 16 yrs old so I guess 5 zone single fare tickets ( do they do return as well?) will be the way to go as I think Brede+Outdoor Museum + Tivoli will be about all we can manage in a day.

Ev

Danish Viking - I have enjoyed your information - thanks so much. I would like to ask a few of questions. I will be arriving at the airport in May arriving on a weeknight at 7:40 pm.

I am stay at the Clarion Collection Hotel Mayfair - I think I am to take the train to central station. Could you give me better details?

Next, sailing on the NCL Sun from Freeport terminal - what is the best way to give there?

Next, assuming we are returning to the same port what is the best way for me to get to my next lodging Clarion Collection Hotel Twenty-seven?

I have ordered Copenhagen cards and want to do a canal cruise - would you book that in advance?

Finally from Clarion 27 - best way to the airport?

What is the one thing we must see or do or eat or drink while there?

Thank you very much

I originally booked the Clarion Mayfair because it was close the the Central Train Station and it would be easy to take the train to the port for our Princess Cruise in June 2011.

But it is a little pricey. Just a little over $1000.00 for 4 nights.

Then I saw the ADINA Hotel. It is close to the port, but not that close to the center of town. The price is better though. (about $750.00 for 4 nights)

So my question is, would it be more convenient to stay near the port for the 4 days, and take public transportation into the city?

Or stay near the train station for 4 days, and then take the train to the port??

Thanks for all of your advice!

Joy

I originally booked the Clarion Mayfair because it was close the the Central Train Station and it would be easy to take the train to the port for our Princess Cruise in June 2011.

But it is a little pricey. Just a little over $1000.00 for 4 nights.

Then I saw the ADINA Hotel. It is close to the port, but not that close to the center of town. The price is better though. (about $750.00 for 4 nights)

So my question is, would it be more convenient to stay near the port for the 4 days, and take public transportation into the city?

Or stay near the train station for 4 days, and then take the train to the port??

Thanks for all of your advice!

Joy

I am also booked at the Clarion Mayfair for one night post-cruise. Since the Clarion's price includes both breakfast and a light buffet dinner, factor that into the equation. If you would return to the hotel to eat dinner and then go out again, the cost might end up being a wash for 2 people for 4 nights.

Archived