I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Terpla, After a full day of work, we left Omaha around 6 pm for Chicago where we caught a 10 pm flight to Copenhagen which arrived around 1-2 pm. We did fairly well with resting on the flight over ... and mid-afternoon in Copenhagen was our morning. We would have been able to spend the afternoon touring, but instead we had to chase down a lost bag that we had misplaced at the airport. :-(

Danish Viking, if you make that transatlantic flight to the US, I'm sure you will have a lot of potential tour guides at the ready!

Danish Viking-

I have all my stuff together on walking the city that you have posted before...thank you again!!

A couple of questions though, my husband and son want to go see the Carlsberg Brewery Visitor Center mid day while the girls take a rest....what is the best way for him to get there from our hotel in the Nyhaven area (The Strand Hotel)?

Also, it looks like we can walk to Trivoli from our hotel (about 1,9km per google)...if we opt to take a bus or metro...where would we catch one?

Thanks again so much for your invaluable assistance!

@ kwcrnp

Go to Kongens Nytorv metrostation and take metro line M1 or M2 towards Vanløse and get off at Frederiksberg

From here you take bus number 18 towards Friheden at get off at Kammasvej that is located 250 meters from the visitors center.

The walk along Strøget to Tivoli is way better than any bus

but bus 15, 26, 1A and 2A will get you from Kongens Nytorv to Tivoli.

If you take the Metro you just get in the same direction as to Carlsberg but you get off at Nørreport instead and take any southbound trains, both S-trains Commuter, Airport and Intercity trains go to the central station that is located just next door to Tivoli.

@ Joy2Day

Hopefully there is some good Karma in doing this :D

Actually my dream is to visit the Coachella Festival in Indio California someday with a San Fransisco, LA and Las Vegas trip in both ends of the festival, probably with a trip along the highway 101.

but to do Route 66 or to visit New York and New England (with Boston) is also high on the list.

I also have some strange idea that i must have to visit Marthas Vineyard but that is probably because of the many islands we have here in Denmark.

Hi, so sorry if I am asking something already answered on this thread, but I searched it and did not find what I was looking for.

We are flying into Copenhagen and are staying at the Scandic Front. We were considering taking the Metro/train (whatever runs from the airport) to Central Station and then taking a taxi from there to the hotel. Are there taxis readily available at Central Station? Any other ideas on the best way to get to the hotel without having to walk with our bags? Thanks so much!!

Susan

And welcome to page 200.:D

You will have to get the Metro to Kongens Nytorv and then take the walk to the hotel because I don't think that you will get a taxi driver to take that short trip.

Another option is to take the train to København H (central station) or Nørreport and take the taxi from there.

It will be cheaper from Nørreport but the platform for the commuter and airport trains are very narrow and they are reconstructing the roof over the station (it is underground) so its also a construction site at the moment.

Thank you Danish Viking.....after posting my question I found the transportation site and may have come up with another route from the Strand hotel to the Carlsberg Brewery. It is different from yours though. It suggested the bus (bus 1A) from Holbergsgade 30 to Vestre Kirkegards Alle which would take about 25 min.

What is the difference in time and ease between your route and this route? Maybe my route is completely wrong!! :eek:

Hi Danish Viking,

Thanks for your time and great advice on the 200 pages so far.. I have read through many pages and plan to plough through some more as well, and have found the search function very useful. I have a question and forgive me if it has already been asked....

We are trying to decide how much money to convert to Krones and I am compiling a list of what I know we will spend, where you know can you tell me which will take Visa. Tks

Trains to and from airport - believe that is a yes. Also, I am travelling with seniors, is there any discount offered on the trains ?

Taxis to port : can request hotel to order a taxi that will accept credit cards

HOHO Bus ?

Netto canal cruise ?

Entrance to Tivoli gardens ?

We will be there weather permitting of course the last Saturday in August, pehaps I have missed it, but think I have read somewhere that they are later at the weekend. Anybody know the time ??

We are interested in experiencing Smørrebrød and I see previously that you suggested

http://www.restaurant-koefoed.dk/lunch.html. Just wondering if you have any views on Told & Snaps http://www.toldogsnaps.dk/engelsk/open_sandwiches.html

Many Thanks in advance

Hi Danish Viking,

Thanks for your time and great advice on the 200 pages so far.. I have read through many pages and plan to plough through some more as well, and have found the search function very useful. I have a question and forgive me if it has already been asked....

We are trying to decide how much money to convert to Krones and I am compiling a list of what I know we will spend, where you know can you tell me which will take Visa. Tks

Trains to and from airport - believe that is a yes. Also, I am travelling with seniors, is there any discount offered on the trains ?

Taxis to port : can request hotel to order a taxi that will accept credit cards

HOHO Bus ?

Netto canal cruise ?

Entrance to Tivoli gardens ?

We will be there weather permitting of course the last Saturday in August, pehaps I have missed it, but think I have read somewhere that they are later at the weekend. Anybody know the time ??

We are interested in experiencing Smørrebrød and I see previously that you suggested

http://www.restaurant-koefoed.dk/lunch.html. Just wondering if you have any views on Told & Snaps http://www.toldogsnaps.dk/engelsk/open_sandwiches.html

Many Thanks in advance

Hi again Danish Viking,

One I fortgot in my previous post, we plan to leave our luggage at the main train station on our return to allow us another 1/2 day furhherto enjoy Copenhagen. Do you know if we can pay for this as well with Visa.

Tks again...

Hi, Four of us from the USA need some advice. Our ship is docking at the Freeport Pier early on August 25. Our hotel, for only one night, is the Dragor Badehotel. We want to take a guided tour of Copenhagen and possibly a canal trip, plus walk around Dragor to see the old village and fort. A private tour company would pick us up at the dock, take us on the 4-hour tour, and drop us off at the hotel, but the price is very expensive. Instead of that, what would you recommend for us and our luggage to get to the hotel, and then for us to get to the city for a tour? How much do you think the cab fare for four would be to go from the Freeport Pier to the Dragor Badehotel? What transportation would we have to take to get from the hotel to the city and back? Thanks very much!

@ swcruise

Yes both the train ticket machines and the manned ticket counter accepts Visa cards but remember you have to use your PIN code.

No senior discounts are available because the senoir citizens in the grwater copenhagen gets a special card.

Only on travels outside the Copenhagen area you will get a discount.

All taxis accept credit cards and most like also Visa

I am not sure about the canal tour and the Ho/ho busses.

Tivoli also accepts credit cards and are normally open 1 hour more in the weekends, normally they close around 00:30 or 01:00.

The danish site AOK (all about Copenhagen) gives Told & Snaps 6 out of 6 stars at gives it credit for keeping it traditional.

I have never been there myself so I can´t give you any first hands experience.

The luggage boxes only takes coins so you need coins inhere, the luggage storage is stoffed but i don´t think that He/she will accept credit cards.

@ rgastin

I don´t know the right now tourist office but the official tourist office is the one opposide Tivoli´s main entrance.

@ TeacherMeg

The Taxi price will probably be around 350 DKK from the pier to Dragør.

Bus 350S takes you directly from Dragør to the area around Kongens Nytorv, the Bus departs from Dragør Skole that is located 500 meters from your hotel.

First, thank you for a link you posted for me a couple of weeks back. I got hit with a pile of work and didn't get a chance to follow up on it till now.

My question today has to do with a good area for a hotel. I've searched this thread and found recommendations about specific hotels but what I am wondering is if there is a particular area where you would recommend looking for a hotel.

We will be staying in Copenhagen for about 4 days post cruise and would like something that would make it easy to get to enjoy the city. We plan to see some of the tourist higlights but would also just like to walk around, stop for lunch or a beer, take some pictures and get a bit of a feel for the place.

We are thnking of looking on hotwire so knowing the location and the star level is about all the info we will have when we book, if we go that route.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

BTW we will be there in early September if that makes any difference to your advice.

The hotels around Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn is probably the best one.

Here is a list of hotels with the one with the lowest amount of stars first.

Generator Hostel

Hotel Bethel

Best Western Hotel City

Hotel Maritim

Hotel Opera

Copenhagen Strand Hotel

Clarion Collection Hotel Neptun

Phoenix Copenhagen

71 Nyhavn Hotel

Copenhagen Admiral Hotel

Scandic Front

And out of category is Hotel D´Angleterre with 5 star on Kongens Nytorv that is right know undergoing a massive restoration and will open again this spring.

The hotels around Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn is probably the best one.

Here is a list of hotels with the one with the lowest amount of stars first.

Generator Hostel

Hotel Bethel

Best Western Hotel City

Hotel Maritim

Hotel Opera

Copenhagen Strand Hotel

Clarion Collection Hotel Neptun

Phoenix Copenhagen

71 Nyhavn Hotel

Copenhagen Admiral Hotel

Scandic Front

And out of category is Hotel D´Angleterre with 5 star on Kongens Nytorv that is right know undergoing a massive restoration and will open again this spring.

Thanks, I'll look into that area.

@ swcruise

Yes both the train ticket machines and the manned ticket counter accepts Visa cards but remember you have to use your PIN code.

No senior discounts are available because the senoir citizens in the grwater copenhagen gets a special card.

Only on travels outside the Copenhagen area you will get a discount.

All taxis accept credit cards and most like also Visa

I am not sure about the canal tour and the Ho/ho busses.

Tivoli also accepts credit cards and are normally open 1 hour more in the weekends, normally they close around 00:30 or 01:00.

The danish site AOK (all about Copenhagen) gives Told & Snaps 6 out of 6 stars at gives it credit for keeping it traditional.

I have never been there myself so I can´t give you any first hands experience.

The luggage boxes only takes coins so you need coins inhere, the luggage storage is stoffed but i don´t think that He/she will accept credit cards.

@ rgastin

I don´t know the right now tourist office but the official tourist office is the one opposide Tivoli´s main entrance.

@ TeacherMeg

The Taxi price will probably be around 350 DKK from the pier to Dragør.

Bus 350S takes you directly from Dragør to the area around Kongens Nytorv, the Bus departs from Dragør Skole that is located 500 meters from your hotel.

Super Danish Viking, thanks for that information. I will plan to purchase some Krones before we travel and this has helped me guage the amount. I have made a reservation for Told and Snaps and will feedback to the forum on our return on our experience.

@mymoxie: Yes, we are travelling with RCI

@Danish Viking

Man are You GOOD at this! My creds to you! I have even made a couple of referrs to You whenever I see a querry about Copenhagen! :)

Now, I'd like to tell You and anyone else that if there's a querry regarding the Helsingborg area You might ask Me and will do My best to give a good reply in return.B-) sinceraly yours Mikael

flyfgfoto_helsingborg_helsingor_500x225_foto_jan_k.JPG.01f3d08441bea8ac6964daad01804535.JPG

Helsingborg is a wonderful city i must say, or atleast its more exiting than my hometown of Køge. :D

Can You tell me a guide/ driver for 4 or 5 hours in Copenhagen that would have transportation for 5. Thanks!!!

@ beanie54

Try to look at this site.

www.guides.dk

@ crewzlover

Humlebæk is located north and Dragør is located southeast of Copenhagen "behind" the airport.

But they are located on or close to the same train line, Malmö/Copenhagen Airport to Helsingør.

So continue on the train after Copenhagen and either get off at Tårnby where bus 350S will get you to Dragør

Or get off at the airport station where bus 35 towards DR Byen also gets you to Dragør.

@ TeacherMeg

I don´t even think its possible to prebook a canal tour so you just show up.

Archived