I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

As for getting foreign money before the trip: We signed up for a Wells Fargo VISA card and ordered money online using it. Wells Fargo has a good exchange rate, and with their credit card, you can have the money shipped to your house for $15. or to the nearest Wells Fargo bank for $7.

The fee is waived if you order over $1000. If you use another credit card, you can still go through Wells Fargo, but make sure the credit card bank does not make you pay cash advance charges. We found out that Chase Bank and Citi Bank do this.

There are 10 of us who will need a taxi from the Airport to First Hotel Copenhagen and then a taxi from the hotel to the Cruise Port. Can you tell me how much the fares would be? Thee will be 4 sharing a cab and then 2 by themselves from the Airport.

Going to bring kronin with us.

Hi: We are staying in Copenhagen for 2 nights before our cruise. As New Yorkers we like public transportation and are always on the go. We are considering the Copenhagen Card. Is it for 24 hours or for the day it is issued? We want to go to the Palaces and Tivoli Gardens, so would the card be worth it for 1 day? Also can you recommend places to eat (inexpensive) We are staying at the BW Hotel City.

Thanks so much,

Janet

Thank you Meg for the cash update -- we will check WF out as well. Do you know if you can do it at a Branch, then I can just pay cash.

Danish Viking, Thank you so much for all your help -- our trip is now only ten days away!! The questions have been asked and answered a hundredfold regarding the CPH Card and City Pass -- you are so patient in explaining, and now I am asking another. I would like to clarify before ordering any money.

I understand the 72-hour CPH Card; printed an updated list of all museums and attractions included and know what transportation is included.

Now to the City Pass:

From what I have been reading from different posters the City Pass is also good for 24 or 72 hours, you can travel all over Copenhagen, and it is a one clip card valid for 24 hours.

I printed out the great item on how the ticket system works and since it does not say anything specific about "City Pass" I am deferring to your knowledge once again.

We arrive on a Sunday and if most of the museums are closed on Mondays, we are not sure how to proceed. Do you know if Amalienborg, Kronborg and Rosenborg castles are open on Mondays?

We will have three full days in Copenhagen and hope to cover as much as possible. You have given some great "itineraries" that I have noted and plan to follow.

Thank you for sharing all your knowledge . .

Hi again, I am thinking -- could it be that the CPH Card and the City Pass are actually one in the same??

Visited the Viator web site and note that you can order the CPH Card online and pick up at airport, any knowledge about the location of their vendor or perhaps it is best to wait until we are in the City. Is it available at the Tourist Inf location by Tivoli and is that open on Sunday?

Sorry to bother you again. Thank you . . .

Thank you Meg for the cash update -- we will check WF out as well. Do you know if you can do it at a Branch, then I can just pay cash. .

I don't know if you can order the foreign money directly from a Wells Fargo branch. This is the first time we've used a WF credit card and also the first time we picked up the money from a branch. A few years ago, we used a Chase Visa card (before they started charging an extra fee) and had the money sent to our house. There was no shipping charge since that time, we ordered over $1000. My husband suggests calling the branch to check the procedure.

Thanks, will do. I'm still calculating my approximate amount. We arrive on a Sunday and I understand some museums are closed, so if we activate a CPH Card Sunday afternoon we will have the benefit of using it through same time on the Wednesday which should work fine.

I have noticed your questions and will get back to them after the weekend because we have alot to do at work.

But 2 quick ones.

The City Pass is not the same as the Copenhagen Card, the City Pass is only for transportations and unlike the regular 24 Hour transportation ticket it only covers central Copenhagen and the airport so no trip to Kronborg and Frederiksborg castles on this card.

The cards, both Copenhagen Card, City Pass and 24 hour tickets are valid for the time is validated so a 24 hour ticket is valid from 17:23 on a Monday and then to 17:23 on a Tuesday or how long the ticket is valid.

And we have time for one more :D

In the summer months its getting more and more common for the museums to have open on Mondays, its a part of the cOPENhagen initiative, but check the websites for the museums you wants to visit.

Keep the questions coming and I will give a full response on Monday or Tuesday.

I meant to post yesterday; was in our B/A branch and found out they can order foreign currency as well. Ordered both DKK and NK using our debit card, delivery charge $7.50 when we pick up.

Thanks again for the information, turned out better for us than using AAA since a purchase through them would have been on a credit card resulting in SC plus conversion percentage.

Viking;

Just wanted to confirm that I am arriving airport and that i can;

- take the Metro from airport to Freeport Terminal, i will need to change at Nørreport Station and get off at Nordhavn Station and walk about 10 minutes

- cost will be 36DKK?

Once I check in with the ship I would like to ride the Netto boats, so I assume I can take a bus to Kongens Nytorv, what is the cost?

Should I but the city pass?

Thanks

Bob

The ticket office does not accept a credit card without a pin code and the ticket machines are the same case.

Hi

Again, thanks for all your wonderful information.

We will be arriving on the QM2 in Elsinore and would like to take the train to Copenhagen.

Are there ATM machines at the train station in Elsinore so that we can get Danish currency to pay for our train fare? Can we use our American ATM cards?

We don't have a PIN for our credit card and so we will need cash to pay for the train tickets.

Thanks

Lorraine:)

Just thinking about getting a citypass for Copenhagen. We will be taken to the airport by the cruise company in the morning and will leave our luggage in the cloakroom. We then plan to get a metro to Kongens-Nytory Metro station and walk to get the hop on hop off canal boat tour. just wondered if the City pass will cover the metro from the airport and can we also use it on the Citycirkle buses? Many thanks

Viking;

Just wanted to confirm that I am arriving airport and that i can;

- take the Metro from airport to Freeport Terminal, i will need to change at Nørreport Station and get off at Nordhavn Station and walk about 10 minutes

- cost will be 36DKK?

Once I check in with the ship I would like to ride the Netto boats, so I assume I can take a bus to Kongens Nytorv, what is the cost?

Should I but the city pass?

Thanks

Bob

looking for an answer?

thanks

Bob

@ wack001

I told you all that i would be back after the weekend ;)

But to get back to your questions.

Try to avoid Nørreport because its a huge construction zone.

Take the Øresund train instead to Nivå or Helsingør and get of at Østerport instead.

From here you take any northbound S-train (towards Farum, Holte, Hillerød and Klampenborg) and get of one stop further at Nordhavn station

If your ship is in port on a Monday to Friday take bus number 26 towards Færgehavn Nord and get of at the busstop at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

And yes the price is 36 DKK

On the way to the Netto boats you can do one of two things.

If the bus runs (again only monday to friday) you can take it all the way to Kongens Nytorv justr next to Nyhavn.

Or walk back to Nordhavn station and take any southbound S-trains towards my hometown Køge or Hundige, Høje Taastrup, Ballerup or Frederikssund.

Get off at Nørreport (it should be okay without luggage) and take metro line M1 or M2 towards Vestamager or Lufthaven at get off at Kongens Nytorv.

This price is 24 DKK each way so 84 DKK in total and the City Pass cost 75 DKK and its much easier just to handle the ticket once and just show it in the bus or at the train/metro.

@ madcatwoman

Yes the Citypass ticket is valid in all the transportation options in Copenhagen, even the yellow harbour busses that actually are boats. :D

@ Queen of the Queen

I think you need a Pin code to use a ATM but i´m but entirely sure nbut maybe someone can chime in.

But there is a ATM at Stengade 45 at Nordea and Danske bank at Stengade 57B, both are located close to the station.

@ Coastcruisers

All the museums you mentioned has open on mondays from first of may to the end of October.

@ crazyjaney9

The mediterannean and middle eastern restaurants along strøget got dinner buffets for around 100-130 DKK so thats cheap.

Jensens Bøfhus (steakhouse) is a danish family restaurants chain rthat is also cheap by danish standards, main course from around 150-200 DKK.

And i think i answered my question about the CPH Card but its valid from the time its validated so you can use it over 2 days if you plan it accordingly.

One Example could be going to Tivoli the first night and the start early the next day.

@ osiebrown68

The prices will be around 250-300 for the airport to central Copenhagen and around 150 from central Copenhagen and out to the freeport.

Viking;

Thanks for everything but know I am totally confused.

I will be there on Thursday, wife and I arrive at the airport.

1. Which is easiest way to get to Freeport Terminal where the ship is docked from the airport?

2. From Freeport Terminal I want to go ride the netto boats(Kongens Nytorv), easiest way?

I apologize if I am repeating myself but your post was confusing.

Thank you

Bob

To Wacko: The light bulb finally worked! I wondered why you sounded familiar -- we are on the same VOS cruise August 9th -- you know, over at the "quiet" M&M board:)

To Danish Viking: As always, your detailed information is perfect. I just spent a bit of time copying and pasting your words of direction for my personal touring of CPH, thank you, thank you. And if you will bear with another taxi question: any idea of the fare from airport to Central Station vicinity? Unfortunately, taxi's will be our way of travel since I cannot do the stairs at the station with luggage. Am planning to buy our CPH card at the airport.

TeacherMeg: Our DKK and NKK arrived this morning at B/A -- ordered it Thursday afternoon so only took two business days.

Thank you everyone for your contributions to this board, it has been most informative, and educational. Now all we have to do is lighten our packing and we are good to go; leaving on Saturday for five days in CPH pre-cruise . . .

You buy a city pass ticket at the airport.

Take the Øresund train towards Helsingør or Nivå, not the metro.

Get off at Østerport station where you take bus 26 towards Færgehavn Nord and get off at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

Take the same bus but this time in direction of Ålholm plads and get off at Kongens Nytorv where the Netto Boats starts from at the nearby Nyhavn.

The bus goes every 20 minutes in each direction but only until around 18:00, from this point there is no bus services of the Freeport terminal and you will then have to use the S-trains from Nordhavn station.

But Nordhavn is located 10 minutes on foot from the Freeport terminal and the bus stop is located just outside the gates.

You buy a city pass ticket at the airport.

Take the Øresund train towards Helsingør or Nivå, not the metro.

Get off at Østerport station where you take bus 26 towards Færgehavn Nord and get off at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

Take the same bus but this time in direction of Ålholm plads and get off at Kongens Nytorv where the Netto Boats starts from at the nearby Nyhavn.

The bus goes every 20 minutes in each direction but only until around 18:00, from this point there is no bus services of the Freeport terminal and you will then have to use the S-trains from Nordhavn station.

But Nordhavn is located 10 minutes on foot from the Freeport terminal and the bus stop is located just outside the gates.

Got it, I will print your instructions and follow them to the letter.

I also will get the city card per your recommend.

Thanks

Danish Viking ---

If I am taking bus 26 from the central train station so that I can get out to see the Little Mermaid... would I get off at the stop Indiakaj? Is that the closest for getting to the Little Mermaid?

Thanks!

Archived