I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

@ Memphis Bill

Just bring the questions and welcome to my city. :D

@ cruzingduo

The small discount markets don´t have distilled water (or at least i think so)

But regular water and soda water can be found anywhere.

Fakta is located 6 minutes on foot from your hotel.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Sankt+Ann%C3%A6+Plads+18,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Store+Kongensgade+21,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.681831,12.588948&spn=0.003684,0.009645&sll=55.68237,12.589415&sspn=0.003684,0.009645&geocode=FeCgUQMdcyLAACkjwFDdIlNSRjH6uqjXBbRUNQ%3BFU6lUQMdcgvAACkjhHpPGFNSRjFoVFb2SKWW0Q&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=17

Danish Viking: Thank you so much for the water information and ALL the WONDERFUL information you have provided.

The directions to Fakta were fabulous! Will Fakta have a 6 pack or larger pack of water?

thanks again :)

Hello

I'm due to visit Copenhagen, next month on QM2 and would appreciate your advise in the best way to travel from Elsinore (where the ship is docking) to the centre of Copenhagen. Could you tell me how far the distance is and the best way to travel? I would also appreciate any tips you could give on how to spend the day in Copenhagen for us to see as much as possible of the city on our first visit. We are both very fit and would be happy to walk or cycle etc if it is an option.

Many thanks

Slider 13

:)

The most easy way is to take the train directly to Copenhagen.

All trains are departing from Helsingør at XX:13, xx:33 and XX:53 and arrives at København H (central station) 55 minutes later.

On the way back from Copenhagen the trains departs at XX:12, XX:32 and XX:52 and arrives 58 minutes later.

Normally the trip is around 10 minutes shorter but the construction of a new railway line to the south of Copenhagen reduces the numbers of train passing the central station so the normal fast train from Helsingør is suspended until August 19.

But if your ship is in Helsingør between August 20 and September 23 you will have to change trains at Hellerup because they are building a motorway out to the freeport area from the north and this motorway has to pass under the railway line between Hellerup and Svanemøllen stations.

If you are in Helsingør in that period please tell me and i will translate the timetable for you.

http://www.dsb.dk/global/pdf/koereplaner/regionaltog/k12%20minikoereplaner/oresund_mini_sommer.pdf

Copenhagen is very walkable so start your walking from the central station and either walk back or end your walking tour at Nørreport station.

Start at Tivoli and beat the crowds.

then walk along strøget pedestrian street.

Take a small detour to the round tower.

Back on Strøget you will end at Nyhavn where the canal tour starts from.

see the little mermaid from the canal tour boat or get of and take the next boat back to Nyhavn.

See Amalienborg Palace

Rosenborg Castle with the crown jewels.

Train back to Helsingør from Nørreport.

And if you have the time walk by the botanical garden and the National Gallery.

Walk in the beautiful Park called Østre Anlæg that ends at Østerport Station.

The Øresund train to and from Helsingør both stops at Østerport, Nørreport and København H.

hi there

please i would like to have some information on the hotels with aircondition, if posible close to the center.

i just have information on marriot, hilton and scandi front.

i need help,if you know of any other ones ,please let me know.

what do you think of the 3 i found ?

thank you.

Hello

I'm due to visit Copenhagen, next month on QM2 and would appreciate your advise in the best way to travel from Elsinore (where the ship is docking) to the centre of Copenhagen. Could you tell me how far the distance is and the best way to travel? I would also appreciate any tips you could give on how to spend the day in Copenhagen for us to see as much as possible of the city on our first visit. We are both very fit and would be happy to walk or cycle etc if it is an option.

Many thanks

Slider 13

:)

Hi Slider 13

Are you on the roll call for the QM2 August 10 sailing?

We are planning to spend the day in Copenhagen and perhaps we can meet up for the journey to Copenhagen from Elsinor.

Please email me at: eventschair@aol.com , subject: QM2

To Danish Viking

Thank you for all the wonderful information. I was just about to ask the same question as Slider 13

Lorraine:)

The Square Hotel has a/c. It is in the center of town and you can walk everywhere. Several of us on CC have used it.

hi there

please i would like to have some information on the hotels with aircondition, if posible close to the center.

i just have information on marriot, hilton and scandi front.

i need help,if you know of any other ones ,please let me know.

what do you think of the 3 i found ?

thank you.

Hello everyone,

My parents will be traveling on the Sept. 10 transatlantic cruise from Copenhagen on the Emerald Princess. They are arriving on the 7th and are looking for a hotel in the city so it's easy to sightsee. They are in their late 60's.

Any ideas for a hotel that also might offer free shuttle service from the airport? Perhaps one with a restaurant, even free breakfast?

Any help is apprecitated.

Stacy

Hotel shuttles and free breakfast are not included for many Copenhagen hotels. Copenhagen is a very walkable city, and many people rely on mass transit (businesses, the underground Metro, and trains).

Would your parents be comfortable with using mass transit? Or would they be more likely to use taxis to get around town and sightsee? Knowing their comfort level with mass transit will help people make better recommenations

The ticket office does not accept a credit card without a pin code and the ticket machines are the same case.

Is the PIN code required? We have cards with a chip but no PIN.:confused: I understand that we can still use the magnetic stripe cards in ATM machines, though...

Actually, there is a PIN, but using it makes the transaction a cash advance rather than a purchase, something we would rather avid since interest is charged right away. I do wish we would catch up with the rest of the world...

There is a sign at the ticket counter that says that pins are required

But are you sure that the advance cash thingy also is in place in a country where almost the only option is using a pin code.

I know that I have a danish bank but I have never been charged extra on my Visa card when using it in Sweden, Germany and other countrys only when using atm's.

So either its false information by your bank or a easy way to get more money out of you but it sounds wierd that they will process the transfer different because you are using a pin instead of a signature.

The only reason for asking for a pin is that the shops don't get their money if the purchase has been done with a stolen card without a pin code but they are covered if the card has a pin code.

There is a sign at the ticket counter that says that pins are required

But are you sure that the advance cash thingy also is in place in a country where almost the only option is using a pin code.

I know that I have a danish bank but I have never been charged extra on my Visa card when using it in Sweden, Germany and other countrys only when using atm's.

So either its false information by your bank or a easy way to get more money out of you but it sounds wierd that they will process the transfer different because you are using a pin instead of a signature.

The only reason for asking for a pin is that the shops don't get their money if the purchase has been done with a stolen card without a pin code but they are covered if the card has a pin code.

It's confusing, at least in the U.S. There is an online article by Rick Steves that explains the debit versus credit card thing, and yes, some transactions are treated as cash advances. We like our Capital One credit card because they don't charge any foreign transaction fees. However, it has neither PIN nor chip. We called Cap One, and were told we couldn't get either for it.

We're not sure what we're going to do, but just taking a hunk of cash and finding a money exchange location is looking better and better! Just hope we don't leave it on the plane or something....

It's confusing, at least in the U.S. There is an online article by Rick Steves that explains the debit versus credit card thing, and yes, some transactions are treated as cash advances. We like our Capital One credit card because they don't charge any foreign transaction fees. However, it has neither PIN nor chip. We called Cap One, and were told we couldn't get either for it.

We're not sure what we're going to do, but just taking a hunk of cash and finding a money exchange location is looking better and better! Just hope we don't leave it on the plane or something....

I called Capital One a few weeks back and I received via mail from them the PIN number for my card. They should issue you a PIN.

Also, instead of carrying cash and trying to exchange it at a Forex or something similar, why don't you just withdraw DKK from an ATM machine?

I called Capital One a few weeks back and I received via mail from them the PIN number for my card. They should issue you a PIN.

Also, instead of carrying cash and trying to exchange it at a Forex or something similar, why don't you just withdraw DKK from an ATM machine?

Hhm...interesting. I'll call them again. Does your card have a chip in it?

Actually, I just asked my husband about his conversation with Capital One, and I was wrong. They said they COULD assign a PIN, but my husband decided against that, as it would likely mean we would be charged a fee since the transaction would be considered a cash advance - or something like that!

Then in my opinion its better to take some cash with you because else there will be a fee on using a foreign credit card and a fee on using it with a pin code.

Its not all places that will charge you with the fee and most likely the shop will eat the bill but places like 7-Eleven does charge you around 1% I think.

But the rule is that the shop has to clearly sign it at the counter if they do and so far I have only seen it at 7-Eleven, but I'm not looking for it either.

We just went through all this with our credit card and bank companies yesterday.

Amex mails an assigned pin that you can then change to your personal choice. If you use the card for "Express Cash" -- yes, it is a cash advance. They charge 3% or $5 of the requested amount, whichever is greater, plus a 2.7% conversion fee with interest accruing daily. If you use the card for purchases, there is still the 2.7% conversion fee to Amex plus a transaction fee.

Visa we chose our your own pin; they charge 1% conversion fee on purchases with no additional fees. If using credit card for cash, there is the 1% conversion fee and the cash advance incurs daily interest charges.

Depending on the company holding your credit cards, the fees will probably vary.

Our bank where we have a debit card only charges the 1% conversion fee, no S.C. if you use the banks in their global network. I called and received a list of the banks in CPH, Alesund and Bergen. Would you believe CPH only has two in our network? Alesund & Bergen have three:)

Since we know we have to take a taxi (can't handling the luggage on the train), we plan to order DKK through AAA online for convenience in paying the driver. If the information we received is correct, there are no fees as an AAA member, only a $10 mailing charge. Minimum purchase is $250 USD.

If you are travelling on a ship, another poster did indicate that if you are exchange cash, the exchange rate was less than on shore and had no additional fees.

If you are travelling on a ship, another poster indicated that the exchange fee for cash exchanges is less than on shore.

Hope this helps a bit . . .

Thanks to both of you. Our cruise line doesn't change money on the ship, so at least that eliminates once choice!

I have considered getting money from AAA by mail or by going to their local area. (I live in a big city, so that's easy.) I was a little disappointed that they don't have PLN for Poland, and I thought that might be a problem in Gydnia as I don't think there's a bank/money exchange/ATM where the ship docks. However, I've just learned that there is a shuttle to a convenient location for finding a "kantor" (money exchange) so I can either wait a bit for one to open or exchange a small amount of dollars or euros in Copenhagen or Berlin.

Danish viking, it sounds like it's not too terribly hard to use my "nude" credit card, and thanks for telling me that a sign must be posted. (At 7-Eleven, was the sign posted in English, though? I don't know any Danish, I'm afraid! Also, just out of curiosity, is your 7-Eleven just like ours in the U.S. - basically a small food store/convenience store? I hear some in the Baltic have internet terminals. Is that true?)

Thanks again to both of you. I'll do some more researching if I have time...

Hotel shuttles and free breakfast are not included for many Copenhagen hotels. Copenhagen is a very walkable city, and many people rely on mass transit (businesses, the underground Metro, and trains).

Would your parents be comfortable with using mass transit? Or would they be more likely to use taxis to get around town and sightsee? Knowing their comfort level with mass transit will help people make better recommenations

Thank you and Danish Viking for the responses. They are OK with mass transit, at least to sightsee. With luggage and all, they would rather rely on a shuttle from the airport to the hotel or a taxi, as well as a taxi to the port.

I know they want to stay at a hotel in a good location for sightseeing the 2 days they will be in Copenhagen. Thanks in advance for any advice I can pass on to them.

Stacy

Archived