I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hi CruisinEurope! First I want to say how much I (and all of us!) appreciate your time/effort in helping us all!

Then, I am looking at a cruise starting/ending in Copenhagen for this summer and was thinking of July or August timeframe. I know weather is unpredictable, but hoping (usually) these would normally be the warmer months but is there any reason to go a particular time? Any special things going on, etc? Anything that is a must see that might be closed during some timeframe? Or, maybe you think some other month would be better....

Again, thank you in advance for your help!

Would you please tell me where is the best (cheapest) place I can buy a couple of 24 packs of Coke Light? I know there are 7-11's out there, but is that the best place to find it? Also, would you tell me what the cost would be...I know things are more expensive out there, but I figure it would still be cheaper than what the cruise ship is going to charge. Thanks again!

Hi CruisinEurope! First I want to say how much I (and all of us!) appreciate your time/effort in helping us all!

Then, I am looking at a cruise starting/ending in Copenhagen for this summer and was thinking of July or August timeframe. I know weather is unpredictable, but hoping (usually) these would normally be the warmer months but is there any reason to go a particular time? Any special things going on, etc? Anything that is a must see that might be closed during some timeframe? Or, maybe you think some other month would be better....

Again, thank you in advance for your help!

Personally, I think that late May or early June would be better -- a few reasons:

1) weather is GORGEOUS (at least has been for the 2 years I've been here! LOL)

2) Shops, etc. are all still OPEN - - as most little botiques close for 6 weeks in July/Aug for summer vacation.

3) Schools are still IN (until around June 25th - ish) - so less crowded downtown, etc.

4) July/ August are PEAK tourist seasons, so all the major "sights" will be more crowded. Lots of ships in port = lots of visitors rushing to see the same things.

Whatever month you choose to come - I know you'll love it. It's a great city, and one that I think everyone should see.

:D

4)

Would you please tell me where is the best (cheapest) place I can buy a couple of 24 packs of Coke Light? I know there are 7-11's out there, but is that the best place to find it? Also, would you tell me what the cost would be...I know things are more expensive out there, but I figure it would still be cheaper than what the cruise ship is going to charge. Thanks again!

Look for a FAKTA or a NETTO.

Those will be the cheapest places to find soda. Now - I don't really recall ever being able to buy a 24 pack of soda (cans) at all. I think the only place I've seen that is at a big "Sams/Costco" style shop called Metro... and you won't be able to get there as it's too far and you need a membership card.

They really use a lot more of the big bottles, or smaller plastic ones....

Not saying that you CAN'T find cans - just that they're not in every store like they are in the USA.

Definately do NOT buy at 7-11, they will be cheaper on the ship than in there! LOL

Another decent spot to buy soda is at the Gas Station stores. We have Statoil, Q8, and a few other chains. Most have stores attached where you can find convenience food (and decent pastry/bread/etc. for a quick meal! LOL).

I'll keep an eye out next time I'm shopping and see if I can find cans and what the price is.

BUT - as a general rule of thumb - be prepared to DOUBLE what you would normally pay in the US (and I'm talking in the major cities like San Fran, Wash DC, NYC, etc. - not out in the 'burbs. If you live in the MidWest or somewhere like that, you may want to triple to be prepared).

Copenhagen is NOT CHEAP - so if you can load up anywhere else, you may want to do that.

Some of the small grossery stores and kiosks located in the Vesterbro and Nørrebro area do have coca cola cans and they are cheap, The only reason for this is that the owners of these shops like to avoid the danish tax system :-).

They buy them in germany where it is cheaper and then smuggling them into denmark and sell them without the 25% tax.

I don´t know the names of these shops but, (And this is not to look like a racist) most if not all of these shops are owned by people from the middle east so they probably have names associated with that.

Here is the cruiselist for 2009 if you want to know where you ships is located.

http://www.tv.cphport.dk/coins/KbhHavn.nsf/anloebCruisePrintAll?openAgent&Year=2009&lang=1

c177 = Nordre Toldbod (just south of the little mermaid and Langelinie pier)

c190 = Langelinie pier

c243 = Kronløbsbassin/sundkaj, Freeport terminal

c245 = Kronløbsbassin/Sundkaj, Freeport Terminal

c252 = Orientkaj, Freeport terminal

c254 = Orientkaj, freeport terminal

c265 = Bilterminalen (Car terminal), Levantkaj, Freeport terminal

c266 = Bilterminalen (Car terminal), Levantkaj, Freeport terminal

m0031 = Yttrehamnen, Malmø/Malmoe

Orientkaj and Sundkaj is on the same pier and levantkaj is located on the next pier further north.

If you are going to search these adresses on Google earth/maps or other websites the streets and zipcode are....

c177 - Nordre Toldbod 1259 København K

c190 - Langeliniekaj 2100 København Ø

c243/245 - Sundkaj 2100 København Ø

c252/254 - Orientkaj 2100 København Ø

c265/266 - Levantkaj 2100 København Ø

I don´t have the one for malmø bur search for yttrehamnen.

There are new fares for the Bus, Metro, S-train and regional trains, most important is the 2 zone ticket (inner city) that now cost 21 kr. (20 kr. Before) and to the airport it is now 31,5 kr. (30 kr. before)

If you need the new price for the tickets to Frederiksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle just ask.

Look for a FAKTA or a NETTO.

Those will be the cheapest places to find soda. Now - I don't really recall ever being able to buy a 24 pack of soda (cans) at all. I think the only place I've seen that is at a big "Sams/Costco" style shop called Metro... and you won't be able to get there as it's too far and you need a membership card.

They really use a lot more of the big bottles, or smaller plastic ones....

Not saying that you CAN'T find cans - just that they're not in every store like they are in the USA.

Definately do NOT buy at 7-11, they will be cheaper on the ship than in there! LOL

Another decent spot to buy soda is at the Gas Station stores. We have Statoil, Q8, and a few other chains. Most have stores attached where you can find convenience food (and decent pastry/bread/etc. for a quick meal! LOL).

I'll keep an eye out next time I'm shopping and see if I can find cans and what the price is.

BUT - as a general rule of thumb - be prepared to DOUBLE what you would normally pay in the US (and I'm talking in the major cities like San Fran, Wash DC, NYC, etc. - not out in the 'burbs. If you live in the MidWest or somewhere like that, you may want to triple to be prepared).

Copenhagen is NOT CHEAP - so if you can load up anywhere else, you may want to do that.

Thanks...I should have known that (about cans vs. bottles)...I have lived in Germany for the last 3 years. I think it will be cheaper to purchase on board.

Many thanks.

Danish Viking,

Thank you for the new information about the fares and the berths for the cruise ships. It is very helpful to know where we have to go to meet our ship and how much it will cost to travel from the airport. The Copenhagen card is becoming more of a bargain.

Steve and Avra

Hi Danish Viking & Cruisin Europe

You would not believe how much great information the both of you are providing us. Thank you many times over!!

We are coming to Copenhagen with a group of 28 people and are trying to arrange some bus transportation from the airport to the Marriott, the Marriott to the pier and then after our cruise, back to the airport. We have been looking at 2 websites of bus companies, Paaske Bus & Edelskov Bus. Do you know if they are reliable or do you prefer one over the other?? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

DJ

Hi Danish Viking & Cruisin Europe

You would not believe how much great information the both of you are providing us. Thank you many times over!!

We are coming to Copenhagen with a group of 28 people and are trying to arrange some bus transportation from the airport to the Marriott, the Marriott to the pier and then after our cruise, back to the airport. We have been looking at 2 websites of bus companies, Paaske Bus & Edelskov Bus. Do you know if they are reliable or do you prefer one over the other?? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

DJ

Hello and welcome to Copenhagen!!!

Unfortunately, I do not have any first hand experience with either of the bus companies - but i do SEE the Paaske busses out and about. I've never seen a Edelskov bus.... though that only means that they may not have their logo all over the bus...

Really - you're not going to find a BAD company in Copenhagen. None that will try to rip you off, and none that won't do their job. You can REALLY trust the companies here.

(the customer service may not always be good, but that is just a difference in custom here).

So - in a nutshell, go with whichever one gives you the "warm fuzzies" or meets your price needs. You're not going to make a bad choice. :D

Hello everyone!

Just a heads up that I am off to see the Eastern Med on the NCL Jade in 2 days! I'll be gone for 2 weeks, so if I don't respond back to this thread, that's why!

See everyone in a few weeks!

:D

Thanks for the all the information you have given us.

Enjoy your cruise. Come back and tell us about it.

Good journey CruisinEurope, my only planned vacation this year is a trip to Milano to see Inter Milan against Manchester United, the Roskilde Festival and several trips to my family in Western Jutland but no cruises so i envy you.

Hello DJChick

I am a member of a Supporter/fanclub of the soccerteam Køge BK and we always use "Busteam" for our away trips because they are way cheaper than the other company´s.

The busses are not brand new but if that does not bother you it will be a good choice.

http://www.busteam.dk/sider/welcome-us_171.asp?cp=171

@ Love2bonboard

I just got the mail from Movia, but i was lazy so i just used the google translator.

In short NO BUSSES are going to the freeport area in the weekends so it is a healthy 15 minute walk down to Nordhavn Station.

Here is the reply from movia.

Thank you for contacting movía MCC on line 26 We can say that after the reform, the municipalities themselves, who book and pay for bus service in the territories. Movía obviously trying to put together itineraries so that they are happy for most of our customers. However, we have to plan in the economic environment that is available. It should be noted that unfortunately is no line 26 out of Færgehavn Nord on weekends this summer. Movía has asked the City of Copenhagen, which finances busdriften of possibilities for this, unfortunately without a workable solution. We have registered your concerns, and it is a desire in the future planning of public transport. Sincerely Dorthe Vikkelsø movía MCC

I dont know much about Yarns but these shops are selling them

Panduro Hobby

Nørre Farimagsgade 74

1364 København K.

Phone +45 33 15 44 21

Fax +45 33 93 44 21

Arne Jacobsens Allé 12, plan 0, butiksnr. 106

2300 København S (Fields shopping center close to the airport)

Phone +45 32 62 10 12

Fax +45 32 62 00 27

www.panduro-hobby.dk

info@panduro-hobby.dk

I.W. Hvidberg Aps.

Løngangstræde 25

1468 København K

Phone +45 33 13 56 70

Fax +45 33 25 25 64

www.iwhvidberg.dk

www.hvidbergstoffer.dk

info@iwhvidberg.dk

There are many more shops, but i think that you can find your yarn here.

Hello Danish Viking

Thank you for the link to the bus company you use. I sent them an e-mail for pricing. The bus does not to be a new model as we are just looking to go from the airport to the Marriott, the Marriott to the pier and then after the cruise, from the pier to the airport again with a group of 30 people. The big thing is, they have to be reliable. Thank you again for the link and for all the great information you are providing all of us.

Hi

We're planning to spend a few nights in Copenhagen before boarding the Eurodam.

Is there a convention going on or something ?

Most hotels are full or very expensive eg $ 350 CAD per night.

Cruisingly Yours,

Another user did wrote this ealier in another thread.

"Well, I figured it out. The European League Against Rheumatism is holding a 'congress' in Copenhagen June 9 - 13th. They have reserved large numbers of rooms all over the city (their exact words - they have a huge list of hotels). When they last held it (in Paris) they had over 14,000 participants. The rooms are being held until April 14th."

So there is the answer.

Archived