I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Great posting topic, I found lots of useful imformation.My concern is arriving at the end of my cruise @ 7am and being able to dis-embark get a taxi to the airport for an international flight at 2 pm.

i think you'll have PLENTY of time.

The taxi ride from the ports to the airport is around 30 mins.... and I bet there will be enough taxis waiting by the piers hoping for your business.

So even if you get off the ship for 9am, you're at the airport for 10 (allowing a tremendous amount of time for travel). You then still have almost 2 hours to kill before they let you into the gates.

No worries. You'll be just fine.

• 1 month later...

If any of you are thinking of going to Malmø and/or Lund on you visit here in Copenhagen i can only recommend it.

I took the change and did some of my christmas gift shopping in Malmø and we had a wonderful time, i know that this was in the winter time but the christmas lightning was the best and most creative i have ever seen.

Anyway i just wanted to keep this fantastic thread alive.

Hi there DanishViking! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks for the tip about Malmo!

Next year, I'll have to take a jaunt up to Malmo and take a peek!

:D

We went down to Lubeck a few weekends ago for their Christmas market... and I must have hit it on an "off night" as I was very underwhelmed.... Next year I think I'm going to have to hit Dresden!

- jen

Også et Godt nytår til dig. :)

I always heard good things about the christmas market in Lubeck so its surprise me to hear that.

But the best Christmas markets in Germany (and in the world) must be Nurnberg and/or Dresden but i think that Nurnberg has the edge.

But Malmø can´t be compared to these big german markets, but they were very creative with the lightning, both the natural and the electric ones.

Some of the electrical ones locked like falling stars!!!!

I swept through some of your answers, but not all so I hope I am not asking something you have already replied on....

We are getting into Copenhagen Friday night, staying at the Absalon Annex (cheap, and incl. bfast, good choice?) and heading over to Tivoli for a few hours that night before it closes. We will have all day Saturday morning (cruise ship doesn't leave until 6:00pm), and we thought we would store our bags in the "left luggage" at central station and here is where the question is...we have lived in Germany for the last three years, so we have travelled a lot and have seen enought of the "touristy" places, castles, changing of guards, ect... We would like to go somewhere we can walk (we are forty and in good shape), somewhere peaceful...like a walking trail. Do you have any recommendations for outdoorsy people who want to stay away for the traditional touristy places? Thanks so much.

We would like to go somewhere we can walk (we are forty and in good shape), somewhere peaceful...like a walking trail. Do you have any recommendations for outdoorsy people who want to stay away for the traditional touristy places? Thanks so much.

ABSOLUTELY!

You must go to KLAMPENBORG DYREHAVE

Very very very easy to do & a nature lovers/hikers pardise!

Simply take the C train (S-Tog) to Klampenborg (it's an end station, so that is both the direction of the train AND the stop).

Once there, go up the hill and turn LEFT into the Dyrehaven. There are BIG red gates, you can't miss it.

There are marked trail guides when you enter so you can choose your path.

You'll see LOADS of deer and can even pop in to Bakken (the world's oldest Amusement park - which has FREE entrance) for a bite to eat, etc.

For more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A6gersborg_Dyrehave

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/what_to_see_and_do/inspiration/top_10_alternative_sights/dyrehaven

ENJOY!!!:D

That sounds perfect for us! Also, do you know if the Absalon Annex is an okay place to stay? We will go to the park and spend all morning there and then head back to the station, get our luggage and take the #56 bus to the cruise pier. I heard the bus doesn't go to the pier on weekends, do you know if that is true?

Thanks again...if you ever need tips for Germany, let me know.

It seems that there is no bus number 56, do you mean bus number 26.

And is your ship located at Langelinie pier or freeport terminal???

Bus 26 goes to both locations, meaning that that every second bus goes to Langelinie and the other goes to Færgehavn Nord (and the Freeport terminal)

But you were asking for the weekend timetable, as it is now it will only go to Langelinie Pier in the weekend but i will ask movia (Copenhagens transport authority) for the summer schedule and i will turn back with an answer.

It seems that there is no bus number 56, do you mean bus number 26.

And is your ship located at Langelinie pier or freeport terminal???

Bus 26 goes to both locations, meaning that that every second bus goes to Langelinie and the other goes to Færgehavn Nord (and the Freeport terminal)

But you were asking for the weekend timetable, as it is now it will only go to Langelinie Pier in the weekend but i will ask movia (Copenhagens transport authority) for the summer schedule and i will turn back with an answer.

I don't know what pier. I think Freeport, but I'm not sure. I will have to check. Thanks!

Danish Viking,

So much has been asked, and you have kindly answered. I have a question regarding the Hop On/Hop Off bus. We will be staying overnight in Copenhagen on the ship, so that will give us two days in Copenhagen. If I purchase the Ho Ho bus tickets, will it be easy to get off the ship and then find where the Ho Ho stops? You say the Little Mermaid is close to the pier, the Ho Ho stops there, would that be a good place to plan on picking up the bus?

Holland America has a tour to Dragoer Fishing Village that I'm interested in taking, so the Ho Ho bus would be in addition to this tour, but I'm sure we would be dropped off back at the ship.

The other tours they offer in Copenhagen say you will see the sights from the bus, but does not actually say you will stop and visit the sight. The Ho Ho really sounds like the best idea for us, if we can figure out how to get to it from the ship.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Danish Viking,

So much has been asked, and you have kindly answered. I have a question regarding the Hop On/Hop Off bus. We will be staying overnight in Copenhagen on the ship, so that will give us two days in Copenhagen. If I purchase the Ho Ho bus tickets, will it be easy to get off the ship and then find where the Ho Ho stops? You say the Little Mermaid is close to the pier, the Ho Ho stops there, would that be a good place to plan on picking up the bus?

Holland America has a tour to Dragoer Fishing Village that I'm interested in taking, so the Ho Ho bus would be in addition to this tour, but I'm sure we would be dropped off back at the ship.

The other tours they offer in Copenhagen say you will see the sights from the bus, but does not actually say you will stop and visit the sight. The Ho Ho really sounds like the best idea for us, if we can figure out how to get to it from the ship.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Hi, I'm not Danish Viking, but the person who started the thread. Danish Viking and I are so happy that people are loving this still very active thread.

You will actually be able to catch the HO HO directly from the pier - as it stops there when a ship is in port. So no worries about where to find it. :D

I LOVE the HO HO - and think that you'll be very happy with the amount of time you can take at the sights.

Enjoy!

Hi, I'm not Danish Viking, but the person who started the thread. Danish Viking and I are so happy that people are loving this still very active thread.

You will actually be able to catch the HO HO directly from the pier - as it stops there when a ship is in port. So no worries about where to find it. :D

I LOVE the HO HO - and think that you'll be very happy with the amount of time you can take at the sights.

Enjoy!

Hi CruisinEurope,

Does the HO HO bus stop at both piers, i.e., Langelinie and Freeport?

Does it make the run daily or only on the weekend?

Steve

Hi CruisinEurope,

Does the HO HO bus stop at both piers, i.e., Langelinie and Freeport?

Does it make the run daily or only on the weekend?

Steve

It runs daily.

I am POSITIVE that it stops at Langelinie, and will have to check on Freeport. What month are you sailing?

= jen

It runs daily.

I am POSITIVE that it stops at Langelinie, and will have to check on Freeport. What month are you sailing?

= jen

We are not sailing until May, but there are a number of people who might be interested in the answer.

Steve

CruisinEurope

Thank you for the info. That's one less thing I have to worry about. I love Ho Ho buses for that reason. You can get off and spend as much time as you want, or stay on and just view from the bus. I think they were the best idea anyone had for touring and seeing a city. I have used them in New York, Rome, Sitka Alaska.

...MOST Danish stores/shops/etc. DO NOT take American (or any Non-Danish) credit or debit cards.

I apologize for not reading all 27 pages of this thread (yet).

Can you (or somebody who has recently been there) confirm that while shops won't accept US credit/debit cards, hotels WILL?

Thanks!

Our cruise arrives at Langelinie at 8am and we want to do the HOHO bus trip that starts at 10am from Town Hall Square. What is the best way to get to Town Hall Square. How far is it to walk? Where would we pickup a bus from Langelinie to the Square and what bus No. would it be? Do the buses accept notes or do we require the exact money/change? We will be pre purchasing the HOHO ticket via the internet. I can see from the HOHO schedule that we will be able to get back to the ship at the end of the day but don't want to hang around the ship until 10.30ish+ until the HOHO arrives as Langelinie is the 5th stop. Thanks in advance.:confused:

Can you (or somebody who has recently been there) confirm that while shops won't accept US credit/debit cards, hotels WILL?

Thanks!

I do not remember if we use a CC when we were there in 2003 but we did get funds from the ATM

This tourist site states they DO take Visa and debit cards not sure if you can use them at just ATM's or if they take at POS

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/about_copenhagen/practical_information/Credit_cards

Thanks!

NOT ALL HOTELS WILL - the biggies, yes. The small botique ones, maybe not.

Please check with your hotel directly - and inform them that there is NO CHIP in the card.

You MAY want to get a PIN # for your card - as THEN it can be used in SOME of the stores/etc. with less hassle.

Originally Posted by grsnovi viewpost.gif

Thanks!

We were in Copenhagen in September and had no problem using our credit card in the stores, restaurants, and in our hotel. We stayed in a small boutique hotel. It may not be accepted everywhere you may want to use it so have Kroners as a backup but do not get overly wrought up over the credit card limitations.

Archived