Ports that Should be taken off Itinerary List?

n2cruisin2

Someone posted a new thread asking what is your favorite port. Got me to thinking.....I wonder if there are any ports that are your least favorite----those ports that are perhaps required or that you hope will be taken all the itinerary list.

So, then, what port if any didn't you like and/or you would be quite happy to never see again? What makes it a "least favorite" port in your opinion?

I love them all. If there is a port that I've been to over and over again, I just stay onboard. Each island has it's own atmosphere, it's own personality. If one is a good traveler, one will view them all with an open mind and an understanding that once you leave home, things won't be the same.

I cruise because I love to be at sea. Don't care where the ship is going.

We've been cruising for 15 years and have yet to repeat a port of call. Frankly, there's so much to see in the world, I couldn't imagine doing the same cruise again and again to the point of where the ports would become mundane.

I'll be the first to say there are a couple of ports that I don't care if I ever go to again.The first is Cozumel. ALthough we had a great excursion to Passion Island, I didn't not like Cozumel itself. In the shopping areas, the shop keepers are very annoying, following you down the street trying to get you to go in their shop, even when you have politely said "no thanks". If it were just a few it would not be so bad, but it was constant. We like to wander along and stop in to look around stores that interest us, but hate to be badgered.

The other is Ensenada. It's a "nothing " place.There was nothing appealing anywhere we went. At least the shopkeepers were not so bothersome.

OK...let me see...ports that I have been to that I would not want to go back to on another cruise...

1. Caracas, Venezuela AKA La Guaira, Venezuela

2. Jamaica - all ports

3. Haiti - Labadee

4. Grenada

5. San Juan, Puerto Rico

6. Martinique

On the other hand, I have been to the following ports and look forward to going back again and again

1. Bermuda - All Ports

2. Aruba

3. Cayman Islands

4. St Maarten

5. St Thomas / St John

6. Turks / Caicos

I think St. Thomas should be taken off. :eek: I have a reason, calm down. We always spend way too much money there. In Feb we dropped over $1000.00 on jewelry in one store, Majestic Jewellers. OK we got great deals but still. :D Just kidding, I love St. Thomas.

Any port in the Caribbean. Most are dirty and to much pressure to buy buy buy. Sailing in that area is always a great time to stay onboard and enjoy the empty ship.

We never actually book a cruise to the caribbean, but sometimes the TransAtlantic or South America cruises tend to stop in the area. Bermuda is not bad though.

Ed

Cartagena, Columbia

This hurts my soul. :( Cartagena has such a wonderful history, nice people and outstanding attractions - it is truly one of the more unique ports of call in the Caribbean / Northern South America.

I guess its all a matter of opinion based on individual tastes. My wife and I have fun just about anywhere, probably because I do extensive homework even though some things you just can't plan for.

We cruise with an understanding that there will be a few things that might not be perfect.

Our most appealing port is St. Maarten/St. Marten

Our least appealing port is Nassau

But, I'd go back to Nassau in a second if I could if it was on a cruise route that we got a deal on.

Anyway,

Happy Cruising !!! Enjoy Life !!!

Caracas, Venezuela

Cartagena, Columbia

Montego Bay, Jamaica

We visited Cartagena, Columbia for the first time last November and LOVED it we cannot wait to go back again. We did the City Tour which was wonderful! The City was beautiful, the people were pushy trying to sell their items, but I just looked them in the eye and plainly said NO and they went on to the next person. We bought a few souvenirs and are planning a land trip back.

Have not been to Jamaica and hope not to.

Victoria, BC, Canada - Not because it is a bad port, just overdone.

I know it is a port many people love. But, we have done many coastal cruises (we live in Seattle) and they always stop in Victoria. We haven't gone ashore on our last three stops in Victoria. Our next coastal cruise in October is stopping in Victoria and we are staying onboard.

There are many beautiful places in this area and I hope they see some cruise business soon. IMHO.

Archived