At what point will the fuel supplement effect your cruising with Oceania?

grandsix

I drive a diesel vehicle daily, and with diesel fuel at more than $5 per gallon, $15.00 will get me about 60 miles. I don't like it much, but there is little I can do about it. It makes me think about whether I need to make the trip or not, but it doesn't make me stay at home.

Similarly, on a 16 day cruise that is already costing us something in the neighborhood of $12,000, I'm not going to let another $480 stop me -- that's less than 4%.

At what point will the fuel supplement affect your cruising with Oceania?

It affects me when final payment is due.

Don -

those $15 take my little diesel about 140 miles. Of course, I don't tow a camper, either.

I understand why Oceania is doing it. Personally I'd rather economize elsewhere than let the fuel surcharge interfere with taking a cruise.

For a moment, I thought about cutting out some wines at dinner or cocktails at Martinis, but quickly came to my senses.

We just consider it a part of the overall cruise expense and factor it in to all our variables before booking. What would you do instead? Cruise with another line? Land trip? Different trip? It seems that most of the cruise lines have fuel supplements now, its just the way it is. A friend of ours just filled up his Cessna 180 last weekend for a quick flight and it cost over $300 :eek:.

I don't like it but I don't want to give up cruising so we will just bite the bullit for now

If it goes much higher we may re-think our plans

I wish they would cap it though like other lines do.

Like maximum $200. per cabin

It won't have any effect on us. If we want to cruise, a few more $$$ aren't going to stop us. We said we'd not drive much when gas went over $3. Hmmm, we're still driving when we want to and it's now over $4. When you're at "a certain age," you do what you want while you can.;)

It affects me no more than the high price of the cruise...

To be honest, I look at the TOTAL cost of the cruise--not how it is allocated...

Nothing would make me happier than if they skipped telling us that the cruise is "2 for 1, free air" and cost "X" when it actually costs quite a bit more than that...For example, my Nautica cruise costs "$4299"...but when they throw in taxes and fees and fuel surcharges and everything else, It comes to around $11,000 for two...

I'd rather they just tell me "$11,000"...and every other cruise line do the same so I could easily compare apples to apples...

If I have to write a check for $11,000 to take the cruise, I really don't care how much of that is the "fuel surcharge"...Heck, they could charge $50 for the cruise then add on charges for a "food surcharge", "ship construction surcharge", "maintenance surcharge", "entertainment surcharge", etc.

Just give me a number...

And, of course, I really don't pick my cruises for the cost (although it does factor in at some point)...otherwise I wouldn't be cruising with Oceania at all--they are far from the lowest cost...I choose cruises for the itinerary first, then the ship, then other factors...

If the cruise is everything I want and there's not another comparable choice, then I'll book it--provided I can reasonably afford it...

And a couple hundred dollars of fuel surcharges on a cruise that otherwise costs thousands is neither going to make nor break me...

It's irritating when these fuel charges go on...or go up...BUT, it's no different than if they put the increases straight into the price...

JMHO...

Well, I think everyone is taking this too far. I understand the need for surcharges but now airlines are using smaller magazines with thinner paper? Come on, it's taking more money to redesign and produce this stuff than to carry the existing materials on board! Where will it stop?

The price of fuel afffects us everywhere. The cost of food and consumer goods in general. It will gradually encourage people to drive less and to travel less. Period. This is as it should be, we need to find alternatives for the sake of the planet. I have resolved to do fewer plane flights, so we are trying to do fewer, longer trips in coming years. But a $15 per day supplement per se would not affect me.

Well said Bruin Steve - I agree with you 100%. It is a little old having to tally everything up to do the comparisons between lines/trips, or to just plan your total cost with a favorite line. I would much prefer a total $ with just a list of what it includes - not a breakdown. Then if I want to ask about a deduction, e.g. airfare credit - much easier.

Archived