Another newbie question -- balcony vs. window

Marylis

We've been emboldened by the generous and welcoming response we got to our travel agent question to post another.

We've been doing lots of research in preparation for our Very First Cruise, and have settled on Radisson for our inaugural outing for many reasons, not the least of which is the all balcony status of the Voyager and Mariner. However, we've also been noticing some good prices and nice itineraries on the Navigator and Diamond (the PG is a bit out of reach for us right now, though we have dreams...). But, once we upgrade to the balcony, the good prices become not so good.

So the question is, does it make that much difference? The Diamond in particular looks to have big beautiful windows. And do they open?

Thanks again,

Mary and Lis:)

After posting the above, I went and read a thread that handled the balcony vs. window subject pretty exhaustively, so I thought I'd better come back and let everyone know that they don't need to reinvent the wheel here -- sorry I hadn't looked at it before posting:( However, it didn't address the question of whether the windows open, so that would still be nice to know (I gathered that they don't, but it wasn't specifically stated).

Thanks again,

Mary

No the window don't open, but it is almost a floor to ceiling type of window. We cruised the Mediterranean (August ’01) in a sitting room and never regard it because it was port intensive so we didn’t spend that much time in the room. The other factor is, the balcony is small and inset, it is good that you won’t get sun on when you sit there, but you lost a lot of room inside the cabin if you don’t make use the balcony due to weather (too cold/too hot). The other thing is we love the deck 8, perfect location J Maybe just lazy me.

Having been on Voyager, Navigator and Mariner; Navigator is our favorite (and the Cat H (no Balcony) are just fine. I'd recommend the Navigator if you prefer the itinerery and the Cat H is a great bargaiin (IMHO). Beware the Cat G's on deck 6 though as they "look out" onto a working deck.

It is also possible to "upgrade" for a fee when you get to the ship and if there are balcony suites available. Do NOT do this if you have your heart set on a balcony though. If available you might be allowed to upgrade for less than the published price differential. For example: if the published price differential between and H and a F is, say, $1000 pp you might be able to upgrade on board for $600 pp or so. We did this on our Canal cruise and were glad we did.

How's that for an unsolicited opinion?

Greg

Marylis,

If you have dreams of the PG, keep in mind that 2005 is its last year with Radisson. It is truly fantastic. A number of cruisers on these Boards call it the best cruise in the world (even if it's not Radisson's most oppulent ship). Remember Radisson offers free air during the U.S. winter months, and there were a number of other specials offered this past season also.

Dreps

Yes, we thought about that last night, and started thinking that maybe we should push things back to try to do the PG in the fall or winter 05 (we're currently shooting for something in spring 05, but wouldn't be able to do a PG at that time).

But then we thought that even though Radisson is losing that particular ship, that they would still probably try to do Tahiti runs with other ships, and we're more interested in the fresh fish and fruit, and the ports of call, than the actual ship.

So is our logic faulty -- are they going to stop Tahiti cruises when they lose the PG?

Mary

Radisson has begun talks with the French Polynesian government to deploy a ship to replace the Paul Gauguin when she departs their fleet in 2006. On another board there has been much discussion about why none of the other RSSC ships would work well in FP. The Paul Gauguin was designed for those waters.

On the Diamond (and Diamond only) one has to keep in mind that the balcony SUBRTACTS from the square footage of the suite (unless, of course, one books a "serior level" suite). In our opinion, "regular" category" baclony suites on the Diamond become just a bit too small for our tastes. So on the Diamond, we prefer the suits sans balcony.

Hope this helps,

Richard:) :) :)

We just cruised the Diamond(first Radisson cruise) we were very happy we had a balcony, especially sitting on it drinking champagne as we sailed out of Venice on the Grand Canal. We did not mind sacrificing a bit of cabin space as we felt the cabin was quite comfortable with room for all our belongings and a nice big bed. The cabin also seemed roomy after the cabins on Windstar. We would book deck 7 with a balcony again although we would take a cabin a bit further forward(we were in 761).

I think it might depend on the itinerary. Is it port intensive or are there lots of sea days? Will the weather be nice or might you be doing a fall foliage cruise with colder weather?

We did use our balcony on the PG EVERY day even tho that is a port intensive cruise. Had breakfast or coffee every day out there. Relaxed before dinner, had our anniversary snacks out there, just sat and read once or twice. Sometimes we just watched the world go by. I can't imagine not having a balcony but in Alaska I might not get much use out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Alaska is a destination that requires a balcony! I know, it may seem strange, but everyone enjoys their balconies more there than anywhere.

Thanks,

Even me who wears earmuffs when it gets below 70 degrees?

Marylis:

You had mentioned the Paul Gauguin and thought it out of your price range.

If you will go in Jan to April and use there free air I think you would fine it very reseasonable and if you are willing to book a F Cabin. We did cabin 314 and I must tell you we were very impressed. Two porthole windows were just fine.

On the PG you really don't have much time in your cabin. With so many ports of call you are gone all the time.

Coleen:

As to use of balconies in Alaska, all I can say is that if you go in the summer (and hello, that's the only time the ships go!), the temperature is very pleasant on the balcony. Especially if you have a sunny day, and some wine and cheese to enjoy there. Otherwise, leave the door open to get some heat and still go with the wine and cheese! The views are magnificant, and the lack of a balcony would impair them. Unless you catch some unusually beastly weather for all of your Alaska cruise, if you book a balcony, you'll thank me later!

Thanks,

I concur with Jim B. in balconies on the Paul Gauguin. You spend so much time outside, in the water, and out on deck with special activities, that you don't really need a balcony. And those mid-winter specials are great. We got a great deal last April, free air, and did the E cabin, with the window.

My attitude always has been that 3 or 4 trips to Tahiti are better than perhaps 2!

I would never be without a balcony (except perhaps in Antarctica). The Diamond has the "best" balconies of all the ships. I don't consider it as taking away from the cabin, as this is an "extension" of the cabin that is like another room to me, unlike the way Dolebludger looks at it as taking away from the interior space. To each his own preferences. I spend as much time out there (breakfast every morning, cocktail hour, after dinner, sea days instead of the deck) as inside, where I seem to just get dressed for dinner and sleep and dress.

• 4 weeks later...

I love a balcony! May not find much time to sit and comtemplate the water but the option of opening the door or sleeping with the door open (Yes, I know it screws up the airconditioning so don't tell anybody) makes it irresistable. I don't think hubby and I could tolerate the Diamond balcony cabin, so we booked adjoining cabins for next Nov's crossing. One cabin has twin beds that convert to seating during the day. That way he can rise early and I can stay up late without driving each other crazy. I'd rather make that compromise rather than book a larger no-balcony cabin when suites are not available.

Formal night on the Diamond post-crossing caribbean I just didn't feel like dressing for dinner. Let me tell you, room service on the balcony anchored at St. Barts was a magnificent experience, even for a solo traveller!

Archived