Dress Code Policy changed ?

roygg

Going back a bit, let me further define that when I talk about wearing "Dockers and a Sports Shirt", a "Sports Shirt" means a short sleve shirt with a collar and buttons all the way down the front, usually a print, stripe, plaid or even a Hawaiian type print--NOT a T-Shirt, golf shirt or jersey...

By who's definition??? I consider a nice and often expensive golf shirt to meet any cruise lines definition of smart or country club casual. I have seen some very tacky Hawaiian and Tommy Bahama style shirts, with buttons up the front that are not even close to the style of a hi end golf pro shop shirt.:p

Other than the 2 dress shirts I will wear with my very stylish black suit on formal nights I do not take on any cruise any other shirts with buttons all the way up the front. I do not even own any "sport" shirts with buttons all the way up the front, but do own many very nice golf shirts (3 to 4 buttons)that I wear not only on the job but at any fine restaurant in the area where I live. Oh almost forgot I wear to to the local Country club as well.

I think that the changing attire is the result of the decline in average age of cruisers, most of whom grew up with casual days at work whereas the more traditional (and older) cruisers grew up in a more formal world... like watching the Paris Open and Wimbledon Tennis championships with many fans sporting full suits in the stands...

Luggage and airline restrictions also make this more practical even though I prefer a bit of class in the dining room.

By who's definition??? I consider a nice and often expensive golf shirt to meet any cruise lines definition of smart or country club casual. I have seen some very tacky Hawaiian and Tommy Bahama style shirts, with buttons up the front that are not even close to the style of a hi end golf pro shop shirt.:p

By MY definition of course...I was just explaining what I meant when describing what I wore for Casual nights in a prior post...because one subsequent poster was not certain what was being written about as a "sports shirt"...

I realized the definition of a "sports shirt" (not of "casual", though that is arguable as well) may ddiffer from region to region...

Here in Southern California, you can go to almost any restaurant, even some fairly upscale ones, wearing Shorts and a T-Shirt...(Hint...The folks with the coats and ties at Spago are TOURISTS)

Steve, that's not necessarily so! Please don't make blanket statements regarding attire "to almost any restaurant, even some fairly upscale ones" in Southern Cal. Think and check your facts before you make statements like this!:(

After reading this whole thread all I can say is "wow".

If a person/couple want to dress formal every night I think thats great, dress formal everynight on the cruise you are sailing or book a cruise on the QE2, QMary or other liners where you get to dine in a specific area depending on what you purchase, where everyone dresses and dines in the same dining room nightly without the chance of being shocked or upset by what a person was wearing. Yes, you will need to pack a steamer trunk and have it shipped prior to embarkation.

I can't believe anyone was shocked by a cruisers dining attire due to the new cruisers lack of knowledge to dress code and to insinuate that they did not belong in the dining room shows how utterly classless some people can truly be.

I have never met anyone on a luxury liner who ever tried to make another person feel as if they were inferior or had made any kind of mistake. (yes, I know faux pas)

I live in the DC area and the only people who wear coats and ties anymore are lawyers and lobbyists. I understand and appreciate that many cruisers enjoy the dress-up fantasy world on a cruise ship but dress codes are an anachronism and an impediment to growth for the lines. They simply don't reflect reality. I think Celebrity is heading in the right direction, providing an opportunity for those who enjoy formal nights to continue doing so while providing some relief to those who can't, or won't, pack all the items necessary for a three dress code cruise.

I still just don't get the association that many seem to have to rationalize that what one pays for food, clothes and sandals makes it upscale and OK to negate good taste. :cool:

Well said.Isn't it amazing how the anti-dress code bores justify their behavior........"anachronism" .....Hee,Hee,Hee----------------BT

It's important to remember that there are circles in which we travel. (Circle, as in circle of friends, not as in 'the best circles of society). If you like dressing casually, you'll likely gravitate to places where that's the norm. If you like dressing up, or have to, in some cases, same thing, and you're likely to look around and only see others dressed like you.

I live in the SF Bay Area, home of hippies, the summer of love, etc. I see, on a daily basis, lots of suits, ties, etc. I attend many black tie events, business lunches, charity dinners, etc. Am I the norm for the Bay Area? Certainly not, but my manner of dress is the norm for my world. Similarly, when I'm in Los Angeles, I see lots of suits and ties because I'm with the same types of people there as here- business people from my company. I've dined downtown, Beverly Hills, Orange County, Malibu, and Santa Monica, and seen lots of ties, jackets, suits...and, yes, even black tie. It's my world...not better or worse than yours, just mine.:)

As far as cruise lines go, perhaps a new policy would make some happy. I'd be fine with it if there were standards of which I approve. But that's me. And I think Country Club Casual includes jackets for dinner. And I'd bet most of you think that Dockers and polo shirts are country club casual. For you, they are. For me, without a blue blazer, they are what you wear to exercise (golf). No one's right or wrong, but we all want slightly different atmosphere for our cruises.

I used to hear those who dislike casual tell people to go to a more casual line, and leave Celebrity to "us." Now I hear folks saying "Go to Cunard if you want to get dressed up!" Wanting to get dressed up is not mutually exclusive to pricier lines, just as wanting to be casual is not exclusive to less expensive line. One of the things that has always been nice about Celebrity is that, for a relatively modest per diem, I could have an atmosphere that I enjoyed. I love Cunard, too, and look forward to my next crossing, but for the cost of six days in mid range accomodation on QE2, I could sail in a suite for 12 days on Celebrity. So I'm sad to hear that it might change (although seems to be rumor at this point...couldn't wade through all eight pages...). Will I stop cruising with them? Not entirely. Will I perhaps look at other brands? Yes. Will they more suit your needs in the future? Maybe.

But here's a vote to keep "informal" as part of the dress code. And yes, I'll still enjoy your company on a cruise someday, even if you disagree with me about dress codes.:D

Andrew

I still just don't get the association that many seem to have to rationalize that what one pays for food, clothes and sandals makes it upscale and OK to negate good taste. :cool:

Finely, you're putting words in my mouth. I mentioned the price because it is part of the overall equation...but I am presuming that readers will take my word for it that it is an upscale restaurant. I'm not making that up. Nor am I basing its "upscale-ness" (is that a word?) on price alone. I would appreciate it if you would simply...well...believe me! Is that too much to ask?

I also wish to point out that I disagree with you that anyone (especially me!) is talking about negating "good taste". We might not dress to YOUR taste - but I daresay that nobody in that restaurant was dressed in "poor taste"...even the men in polos and the women in dressy shorts sets. Every diner in that restaurant looked perfectly appropriate for what dress codes have become in these regions. You may not like it personally, but if you spent all your nights out being scandalized at what other folks are wearing (especially when they fall within the regional norms), you might as well stop going out to dinner, because you'll just give yourself a chronic case of indigestion.

Oh, and I should mention - whether you want to accept this or not - price DOES matter. It's not the only thing, but it's a factor - the more things cost, generally the more "upscale" they can be considered, whether you are talking clothes, restaurants, homes, hotels, or whatever.

Not any more. I believe there are now only about 5 restaurants in Manhattan that "require" a jacket...Le Bernardin, Per Se and Daniel are three, if I'm correct. ;)

I've been to restaurants on the East Coast where they kept jackets and ties at the entrance to loan to men who didn't bring one. .

Finely, you're putting words in my mouth. I mentioned the price because it is part of the overall equation...but I am presuming that readers will take my word for it that it is an upscale restaurant. I'm not making that up. Nor am I basing its "upscale-ness" (is that a word?) on price alone. I would appreciate it if you would simply...well...believe me! Is that too much to ask?

I also wish to point out that I disagree with you that anyone (especially me!) is talking about negating "good taste". We might not dress to YOUR taste - but I daresay that nobody in that restaurant was dressed in "poor taste"...even the men in polos and the women in dressy shorts sets. Every diner in that restaurant looked perfectly appropriate for what dress codes have become in these regions. You may not like it personally, but if you spent all your nights out being scandalized at what other folks are wearing (especially when they fall within the regional norms), you might as well stop going out to dinner, because you'll just give yourself a chronic case of indigestion.

Oh, and I should mention - whether you want to accept this or not - price DOES matter. It's not the only thing, but it's a factor - the more things cost, generally the more "upscale" they can be considered, whether you are talking clothes, restaurants, homes, hotels, or whatever.

It is not you that is described, it is a tone of many who have a similar idea that indicates what they do is 'the' standard for any reason that suits them.

If I picked it apart for argument, a common point of view is I have a $85 golf shirt, or I have an $85 steak and since I am associating a dollar amount that everyone can understand and reason the value of, since I am paying those dollars it must be OK to make the point that what I do is OK too. That is surely how it comes off, that money is the authority.

Meanwhile the $25 bucks for a a stinking suitcase is too much for folks to pay isn't it! That reality makes me laugh. :D

Anti dress code bores? do you have any idea what you sound like saying that? Bore doesn't even come close.

This thread has gone beyond ridiculous. Very sorry for you that Celebrity has changed it's dress code, it's not rumour, it's been confirmed by Celebrity. Some are happy, some are sad, it's done. The world is changing, deal with it. Because gripping here isn't helping. And what kind of bore can't even have a civilized conversation without throwing insults?

Never said I was against new dress code in fact I agree with them ;also I was brought up not to care if someone feels sorry for me

I understand, we dine in the higher end restaurants when we visit. However, I do have 2 friends who recently had dinner at The London (funny you should mention it) and the gentleman did not wear a jacket. They were dressed fabulously, but no jacket for him. And, I do agree that New Yorkers know what to wear. We love NY! We were just there and barely got reservations for Gramercy Tavern.

We have no problem wearing the appropriate attire for whatever the occasion may be. It's just simply a non-issue for DH and me. If a jacket is required, that's it....done....jacket or suit is worn. No further conversation necessary for us. ;)

I do choose to stear clear of dress code threads...too much popcorn. :eek:

No, actually, there are many others. The Rainbow Room and The London to name a couple. New Yorkers know what to wear and when, you have to, or you simply don't get in. After waiting months for a reservation, you put on what is requested if you are interested in the meal!

Here...here!;)

That will be the day that I take a vacation and worry about about what people are wearing!

I could care less!

As long as my wife and I are neat and look decent I could care less about "joe Blow" across the table....who is not dressed to the "code"

he/she could turn out to be a more interesting person and have a hell of a lot more depth than the "clothes rack" at the end of the table.......

I have no issue with what anyone's personal beliefs are on this topic, the issue is the cruise lines dumbing down of a held advantage that is bound to surely get worse as a result of those who only know how to tear down rather than supplement and enhance. I could care less about competition. I have two cruises booked with X and if in those two cruises it LOOKS like I am mixed with a bunch of people who don't have a clue, I'm out!

I agree with your "dumbing down" point of view. I know what I'm going to do...follow my own personal standard of dress (which happens to be on the dressy side, while cruising). If someone feels uncomfortable, well, I can't control that, or would want to.

I agree with your "dumbing down" point of view. I know what I'm going to do...follow my own personal standard of dress (which happens to be on the dressy side, while cruising). If someone feels uncomfortable, well, I can't control that, or would want to.

As an idea, there should be a dining option/area put into place to keep a private and unique area for those who prefer to dine in style while on board. I'd pay for that guarantee.

As an idea, there should be a dining option/area put into place to keep a private and unique area for those who prefer to dine in style while on board. I'd pay for that guarantee.

Called it Out dated,Old Fashioned,Anachronism or any other insult some may throw my way,but i agree

Sorry for the ot, everyone.

Just checked...jackets are required for The Rainbow Room and are suggested but not required for Gordon Ramsay's place.

No, actually, there are many others. The Rainbow Room and The London to name a couple. New Yorkers know what to wear and when, you have to, or you simply don't get in. After waiting months for a reservation, you put on what is requested if you are interested in the meal!

Archived