Dress Code Policy changed ?

roygg

We have just received our tickets for 10 night Galaxy 1st Aug 08 Eastern Med. and they show 8 nights casual and 2 nights formal. Informal nights being dropped. Is this a one off trial to deformalise or a part of the solution to reducung the amount of luggage ? Celebrity web site still quotes:

"A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and slacks, No jeans, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men."

Views ?

This is awesome! It's exactly what I've been hoping for. I'm a formal-night lover, but those dang informal nights throw me - it means I have to bring something "in between" formal and casual, that I won't wear anywhere else on my vacation, and just takes up space in my bag. Now, if they would only reduce formal night to one night a week, I'd be ecstatic! :D

I'm going to hope that this new concept will stick through till next year, for my next =X= cruise!

This is awesome! It's exactly what I've been hoping for. I'm a formal-night lover, but those dang informal nights throw me - it means I have to bring something "in between" formal and casual, that I won't wear anywhere else on my vacation, and just takes up space in my bag. Now, if they would only reduce formal night to one night a week, I'd be ecstatic! :D

I'm going to hope that this new concept will stick through till next year, for my next =X= cruise!

If you are a formal-night lover, why do you want fewer formal nights?

If you are a formal-night lover, why do you want fewer formal nights?

I know, it sounds weird, and I should have clarified in the post (I've mentioned this numerous times in other dress-code threads and just forgot to clarify here). I LOVE formal night, and I like to go all-out, with the full-length beaded gown etc. But I would prefer to only have ONE formal night, because I certainly don't want to have to bring TWO formal dresses, and I don't like the idea of wearing the same dress twice in one week for dinner with the same people (just seems silly). Also, I just think that having only one formal night per week makes that one night that much more special.

This is just my personal preference. I am also a believer in respecting the dress code, so as long as they continue to have more than one formal night, I'll continue to dress for them. But I tend to dress a little less formally on the second one (a cocktail dress instead of a gown).

Well I guess all those semi-formal dresses I bought are useless now since they are doing this change! I wish they would stick with the semi-formals because its so nice to see everyone dressed up.

I just can't stand seeing people walk into the Dining rooms wearing jeans and flipflops on casual nights!

:mad:

Well I guess all those semi-formal dresses I bought are useless now since they are doing this change! I wish they would stick with the semi-formals because its so nice to see everyone dressed up.

I just can't stand seeing people walk into the Dining rooms wearing jeans and flipflops on casual nights!

ItaliaBella, you can still wear your semi-formal dresses - depending on the region, you can probably wear them for formal night! (I've seen lots of women do that.) And you are also, of course, free to wear them on casual nights. Just because other folks choose to dress down doesn't mean you have to.

One troubling thing that I see in these dress code threads is the frequent comments about how other folks' clothing choices impact them. To me, the dress code is all about how *I'm* going to dress, and I pay little attention to what others are wearing. It simply doesn't affect me. I truly believe that everyone would find cruising to be a more pleasurable experience if they didn't allow themselves to be so negatively affected by what others are wearing.

The good news is that Celebrity is a cruise line on which, historically, most pax do respect the dress codes, so if you dress to the nines on formal night, you won't feel out of place. And even on casual nights, most pax will at least be dressed somewhat nicely, so if you choose to go a little nicer, you won't stand out. If anything, you'll just inspire lots of smiles because you'll look so nice! :)

Hi,:) you can still wear those dresses and I am sure you will

look very pretty.

I wear long skirts on casual nights...they are not "formalwear"

but something flowy with a pretty top and sandals. If folks

think I look dressed up that is fine with me.

If you have a nicer dress go ahead and wear it:D

I am very happy to see you come around to the "lets have only one formal night".... Now I see that some may want one formal night, some may want two formal nights and some may actually want several formal nights... :) Then there may be room for those that would prefer no formal nights but would still prefer to see everyone in the dining room well dressed and confortable...just not formal... :cool:

I am very happy to see you come around to the "lets have only one formal night".... Now I see that some may want one formal night, some may want two formal nights and some may actually want several formal nights... :) Then there may be room for those that would prefer no formal nights but would still prefer to see everyone in the dining room well dressed and confortable...just not formal... :cool:

I haven't come around - I've felt this way for quite some time. There is certainly room, and appropriate options, for everyone and their varying preferences on board. The important thing, IMO, is to refrain from insulting or criticizing those who have differing preferences...and avoid using demeaning, generalizing phrases such as "Celebrity must be a cruise line for people who need to put on a show". ;)

this is fantastic news. I love having two formal nights, and on casual nights we dress country club casual and love it..

This makes me one happy Camper!:D

I also suspect they will be watching even more closely that the "casual" follows the guidelines. I hope so.

We are neither for nor against formal nights. Just as an observation, the formality of formal nights on the Century seemed less strict than on some other cruise lines (e.g. Silversea). Not that many people wore real tuxedos in the main dining room, and outside of the main dining room, all through the rest of the ship, many people were in casual clothes, and ate on deck 11.

We would be saddened to see this. We really enjoy informal nights and my husband owns two sports coats that we purchased just for cruising. And before anyone pulls the "we're broke and can't afford it" card, we're university students and always manage (and enjoy!) dressing appropriately.

Pax tend to dress nicely on informal nights so the ship still has that increased ambiance. I've been shocked by some of the attire I've seen on casual nights and would hope for fewer, not more.

Heck, I wish Celebrity would hold an all formal cruise where every night was formal. It would give me an excuse to buy some new gowns!

We would be saddened to see this. We really enjoy informal nights and my husband owns two sports coats that we purchased just for cruising. And before anyone pulls the "we're broke and can't afford it" card, we're university students and always manage (and enjoy!) dressing appropriately.

Pax tend to dress nicely on informal nights so the ship still has that increased ambiance. I've been shocked by some of the attire I've seen on casual nights and would hope for fewer, not more.

Heck, I wish Celebrity would hold an all formal cruise where every night was formal. It would give me an excuse to buy some new gowns!

I agree with you. I have clothes set aside just for cruising. I have 8 semi-formal dresses and 6 formal dresses. I'd hate to see it go to waste because of the new change. I would be thrilled if we had semi-formal and formal nights all the time on the ships. For me, its the only time I ever get to dress up to the nines. For me casual nights reminds me of Carnival. Ugh!

I love 2-3 formal nights.

I love 2-3 informal nights

I love the rest being casual.

Dressing up make the cruise that much more special, and I suppose our family could still dress up even if they change the code, but we'd probably feel a bit akward.

I hope this doesn't become policy because I really like have lots of dressier nights.

We enjoy formal nights but for me two is enough any more they lose something.We have a 13 day cruise planned for next year and 2 formal nights would be plenty,one for Captains Gala and another towards the end.The fewer the more special they are.............Frank:)

I agree with you. I have clothes set aside just for cruising. I have 8 semi-formal dresses and 6 formal dresses. I'd hate to see it go to waste because of the new change. I would be thrilled if we had semi-formal and formal nights all the time on the ships. For me, its the only time I ever get to dress up to the nines. For me casual nights reminds me of Carnival. Ugh!

you can still wear your nice dresses and men can still wear their jackets, the only difference is, not everyone HAS to. As for casual night reminding you of carnival, I've seen a few gowns on formal night that give new meaning to the word tacky.

I know, it sounds weird, and I should have clarified in the post (I've mentioned this numerous times in other dress-code threads and just forgot to clarify here). I LOVE formal night, and I like to go all-out, with the full-length beaded gown etc. But I would prefer to only have ONE formal night, because I certainly don't want to have to bring TWO formal dresses, and I don't like the idea of wearing the same dress twice in one week for dinner with the same people (just seems silly). Also, I just think that having only one formal night per week makes that one night that much more special.

This is just my personal preference. I am also a believer in respecting the dress code, so as long as they continue to have more than one formal night, I'll continue to dress for them. But I tend to dress a little less formally on the second one (a cocktail dress instead of a gown).

I am with you girl!!! I love dressing up... but that doesn't mean that I want to do it every night on my vacation. AND, I do think there is a big difference between wearing jeans and flip flops in the dining room, to being dressed appropriately. I don't think men have to be in a jacket to look well dressed. I don't care if this takes place before or after my cruise... my husband will ONLY be wearing a tie on "informal" night. (not just a tie...giggle) Why do people think that if you enjoy dressing up, that you would enjoy it every night. NOT so. Especially lugging all that baggage all over the country. I think it is great for the people who want to do it to the "nines" but it is also ok for people who don't want to do that.

Wooo Hoooo!!!! I am all for the getting rid of "informal" nights! Of course, I dress nice for every night of a cruise, but I don't blame my husband for not wanting to eat with a jacket on for half of his vacation.

Very nice country clubs have very few "formal" nights and for most in warm climates, it's pretty much country club casual. Personally, I think all the new airline restrictions are going to set the pace for cruise ships except for pax that can drive to the ports. Also, if you do pre or post cruise traveling, you wouldn't want to drag around a lot of extras that you know you wouldn't use on that part of your trip. Men not having to have a jacket for informal nights is a real plus.

Archived