Cruising vs. All Inculsive

Tinwoman

On our last vacation we decide to visit an all inclusive instead of cruising. We were a little bored with cruising and wanted a change.

The pluses were of course the food was fantastic, and plentiful, outstanding. The suite huge and impeccable cleaning. We enjoyed free drinks all around. It always irritates me at the drink costs on the cruise line; we had free bottled water, and all the free soda’s we could drink.

I loved the people, totally friendly we took many local trips and the people were so eager to please (we were visiting the Mexican Rivera) and it was totally relaxing. There were no hidden costs.

Our butler was wonderful and free laundry

We missed the movement of the ship (we have sailed Celebrity 8 times and Princess once)

Basically I have found the food on Celebrity to be just ok, cafeteria

style if you will, as well Princess.

But fellow cruisers wonderful and entertaining .

Soo there were pluses and minuses, I think from now on we will alternate, between cruising and AI’s.

We are on a transatlantic in Dec. on Azamara, were folks have said the food was very good.

So we are looking forward to that, if the food is as good as the AI we will probably stick to cruising. But if not we will alternate.

Seriously I love the sounds of the ship, the wake, the movement of the ship and smell of the ocean (even though we were on the beach, it just wasn’t the same.)

Just some prospective for those who are considering an AI.

we will be on the cruise with you. we too like all-inclusive. we have been about 10 times to cancun, aruba, & the dominican republic. each had it's good points. i guess aruba was our favorite. we enjoy getting what we want when we want it & not signing our name to pay next month. it is a sense of freedom. however, the oil situation has complicated traveling & taken the pleasure out of back & forth. see you in dec ad

We too alternate land based and cruising but cruising will always be my favourite!! Guess I'm too high energy to sit in one place for 2 weeks. I like the idea of seeing lots of different places in one trip. The AI's just don't do it for us even doing lots of tours. Can't beat the ambiance of any cruise ship!

I dont call it nickle and diming..the price difference between an all inclusive cruise line and a not inclusive one is "about" $500 a day per person..I dont drink much so I am not willing to pay that..No one has ever given me a definition of "nickle and diming" if that means signing checks for what you buy extra..I do that all over the world..why should cruise lines be different..I guess airlines will be nickle and diming now that they are charging for sodas and water..

Believe me when I tell you ..you save money on Azamara and have just as good service as the "all inclusive" cruises at a heck of a lower price!

Brian, I am anxious for you to let us know how you like Quest as I know you know good from bad!!

Jancruz1

As this thread was also posted on the Celbrity site...I answered it there too with this ...THEY DON"T GO ANYWHERE" How much do you see of new places sitting in an AI resort eating, drinking and getting your cancer rays. One person said...you can go out into the city etc etc. but SAME City day after day. I'd be SOOO bored..We spend the $$ because we want to see the world. You can do all of the eating etc....At HOME but Rome isn't in the back yard or any of the other wonderful places we travel. If you cruise to do the Eating etc.. (plus the dressing up on Celeb,) then I think the AI resort is the best deal. You won't get seasick!

As this thread was also posted on the Celbrity site...I answered it there too with this ...THEY DON"T GO ANYWHERE" How much do you see of new places sitting in an AI resort eating' date=' drinking and getting your cancer rays. One person said...you can go out into the city etc etc. but SAME City day after day. I'd be SOOO bored..We spend the $$ because we want to see the world. You can do all of the eating etc....At HOME but [b']Rome[/b] isn't in the back yard or any of the other wonderful places we travel. If you cruise to do the Eating etc.. (plus the dressing up on Celeb,) then I think the AI resort is the best deal. You won't get seasick!

Well I don't know what other people do but we don't just sit at the beach. Two days we went into the Santa Madras Mountains, one day to zipline, and one day to trail ride, we had 2 days of spa treatment, there were four 4 star restaurants to enjoy, plus 2 or 3 clubs on site for dancing. We released baby sea turtles from the Dream Resort beach, this was sponsored by Dreams on 2 different evenings.

We went out on an huge sailing ship for a whole day and saw whales, sea turtles, dolphins ect. We went scuba diving one day, I could go on and on but I am sure you see my point.

I also said I really enjoy cruising because I love the movement of the ship, and hearing the wake, and waves.

So it was only my perspective of both types of vacation, I am not trying to recruit anyone to one or the other. :D

Jancruz1:

Not every all-inclusive cruise line charges the luxury cruise prices you mentioned. In fact, RCCl owns two such cruise lines that charge mainstream cruise line prices. Both appear to be doing so well that I've heard rumours that unless the financial hemorrhaging improves at Azamara, their two ships may revert back to them.

We spend the $$ because we want to see the world.

We enjoyed going to AI resorts four times when our children were teenagers. It's a fun way to spend family time together and although we did sit and read (in the shade of the palm trees), often we were doing more active things ... tennis, sailing, snorkeling, golfing, waterskiing, sightseeing, bicycling, etc. Most of our winter trips were snow skiing ones, but if we wanted a break from the cold, we did Caribbean vacations instead. In the summers we would do our 'see the world' vacations ... Europe, Canada, United States.

Napi's Mom, You are so right..Tinwoman is comparing apples to oranges.

Seing the world from the comfort of a floating resort with all the amenities is in NO WAY comperable to a hotel on the beach no matter how inclusive.

Let's continue to live love and learn on worldwide cruises.:p

:p

Hummm, they are both fruit, and sometimes I want a apple and sometime I want an orange. LOL:D

I have several apples and oranges a year all over the world.;)

We also love cruising (more than 2 years at sea on 50+ ships) but also have done a few all inclusives. Overall, we find that the decent all inclusives (we particularly like the Excellance and Secrets chains) have advantages and disadvantages. With Excellence and Secrets there are no buffets and you do not need to make advance reservations at the restaurants (a problem with most other AIs). They also include top shelf booze brands unlike some of their competitors. But, on the other hand, we will always continue to take our 60 - 80 days of cruises per year since we just love being on ships. We do think that there has been a decline in quality and service on all the mass market cruise lines, but in real dollars they are actually a much better value than they were many years ago. Where else can you find an oceanfront balcony, unlimited food, lots of entertainment, decent ports, and pretty good service for less than $150 per person/day.

Hank

Jancruz1:

Not every all-inclusive cruise line charges the luxury cruise prices you mentioned. In fact, RCCl owns two such cruise lines that charge mainstream cruise line prices. Both appear to be doing so well that I've heard rumours that unless the financial hemorrhaging improves at Azamara, their two ships may revert back to them.

I am sorry, I am not aware of any luxury all inclusive that has mainstream prices with the exception of adventure cruises which are quite different..

Can you name thes lines for me? (So I can be more accurate next time)

Thanks

Jancruz1

Seing the world from the comfort of a floating resort with all the amenities is in NO WAY comperable to a hotel on the beach no matter how inclusive.

Let's continue to live love and learn on worldwide cruises.:p

I think it it is very condescending to criticise Tinwoman just because she and her family likes AI holidays. Although my wife and I enjoy cruising I would never!! foist my opinions on persons enjoying different types of holidays.

I must take exception to the last comment. Comparing AIs to Cruising is always an interesting topic that comes up on various CC boards. Many of us have been cruising long enough to remember when cruise vacations were pretty much all-inclusive except for tips. We first tried AIs to see if it was a good alternative to cruising. It is! A decent AI is a very comfortable resort (on land) with large rooms, great amenities, terrific pools and beaches, decent entertainment, and, in some cases, with food that is far better than found on any mass market cruise ship. And, at the end of your stay you get a bill of zero. Personally, I think a very major competitor for the cruise lines are the AIs, which are rapidily increasing in number throughout the Caribbean, Mexico and South America. I contribute a lot of info to the European Board, and get many msgs from folks upset with the fact that they can actually spend more money on tours than on the cruise! With the cruise lines charging ridiculous prices for many tours, marking up ordinary wines by more than 600%, charging $12 + 18% for a martini, charging for a real cup of coffee (the faux coffee in the dining rooms is still free), its no wonder that some are looking for alternatives. There are some excellent All Inclusive cruise lines such as Seabourn and Silverseas, but these lines generally cost around $1000 per person/day. Top All inclusive resorts can often be booked for about $250 - $350 per person day. Personally, I find this topic much more interesting than many of the repetitive topics we see here.

Hank

Jancruise1:

The two mainstream all-inclusive lines that RCCL owns are both European, Pullmantur and Croisieres de France (CDF) which just started sailing with their first ship Bleu de France in late May this year. Neither would be considered luxury lines by any means,they are mainstream Spanish and French lines.

cruiseyguy:

I did not think that would happen either,but did read it on another well regarded cruise site. Apparently the refurbishment of CDF's first ship Bleu de France was changed at the last minute, so that the interiors resembled Azamara's R-ship interiors, thus the rumours that RCCL were hedging their bets.

cruiseyguy:

Agreed! But I don't think many of the mainly US clients of Azamara would be interested in sailing on a 27 year old ship even though it was at one time the fabled Europa 2 of Hapag-Lloyd, once rated the world's top cruise ship.

Hummm, they are both fruit, and sometimes I want a apple and sometime I want an orange. LOL:D

I have several apples and oranges a year all over the world.;)

Many (Most)of us don't have the ability to do that either from lack of time...or funds ! I guess if you have the means to do both...thank your lucky stars and do whatever. Perhaps you should buy a "Stateroom" on that floating island of a ship that stays roving all over the world 365 days a year. In essence your home. Think it's AI

Even when we had children at home...we did what we could the encourage the "see the world" attitude, as our vacations weren't to see Grandma, or Uncle so & so but our country, as many states as we could go to, and as we didn't have a lot of funds...we did camping. Have to admit 2 out of 3 of our children like camping with their kids, but really aren't doing the "see the world" bit yet.:D Maybe the wanderlust skips a generation!

Archived