Should I downgrade cabin?

delondin

Have booked B104 Premium Suite on Diamond but due to negative feedback on this site am having doubts. No other Suites appear to be available. If I downgrade to mini suite are the balconies all uncovered? And is it worth losing the Suite perks? Thanks.

It all depends, do you plan to use your balcony while the ship is moving? If so then you might want to consider moving. By all reports the balconies facing forward get rather windy when the ship is moving. If you plan to use it mostly while in port or the ship is not moving then it should be fine no need to move, unless you tend to get motion sickness then you should consider something mid-ship.

We spend a lot of time on our balcony and we purposely booked that cabin because it was large. We were not told that half of it was locked on sea days and that we would only be able to use it in port.

When is your cruise? If it's a fair distance in the future another suite may become availble that you can switch to.

Mini suites are very nice though, plenty of room for 2, uncovered balconies on Dolfin Dec (AA, AB, AC, AE) and completely covered on Emerald Deck (AD)

We spend a lot of time on our balcony and we purposely booked that cabin because it was large. We were not told that half of it was locked on sea days and that we would only be able to use it in port.

If you spend a lot of time on the balcony then I would switch.

I can attest to being in the Family Suite which is also exposed to the front of the ship only more to the side but it was unbearable it blew so hard.

Any aft suites available?

I'd give it serious thought. It will be windy, and you probably won't use your balcony as much as you would like. I'd much rather have an aft balcony in another suite or a mini-suite farther back on Baja or Caribe.

The 1 and ONLY time I was in a very forward cabin (I think it was 101 or 102) I FELL out of bed the motion was SO bad..........

I learned from that experience and have never booked a forward cabin again....

I'd rather have an AFT cabin if I can't have mid-ships!

Save the money - You can pay for the perks ;) .......choose another cabin!!!

Have booked B104 Premium Suite on Diamond but due to negative feedback on this site am having doubts. No other Suites appear to be available. If I downgrade to mini suite are the balconies all uncovered? And is it worth losing the Suite perks? Thanks.

I believe it depends on your itinerary. We were in suite C104

on the Diamond cruising down the Mexican Riviera a few years ago and were pleased with it. The seas were calm and we had no problems with the wind on our large balcony. It was beneath the bridge and overlooked the crew's pool area.

Good luck with whatever cabin you may choose.

May you have fair skies and calm seas for your cruise.

As the others have said, all of the mini-suites except for the ADs on Emerald deck are uncovered. If you move to a mini-suite, you'll save more than enough to pay for the perks so I wouldn't let that be a factor. The possibility of not being able to use my balcony on days when others can use theirs would be a big factor. There are always days when no one really wants to be out there but if there are days when your balcony has to be locked due to wind, it would be a downer. I don't think I'd pay all that money and be possibly disappointed. From what I've read, it's a real possibility rather than just one person's experience.

If you do decide to downgrade, you might like a balcony cabin on Caribe. We were midship on the Diamond to Hawaii in mid-March, and used our balcony every day. The Caribe balconies are about twice as deep as those on most other decks, and are half covered. We liked it because there was protection from too much sun (or rain, should that happen) if we needed it. The balconies on Dolphin appeared to be almost as deep, but are completely uncovered.

I don't think I'd pay all that money and be possibly disappointed.

I totally agree with Pam. If I paid the price for a suite like B104 I would not want to be disappointed and would for sure would want to use the balcony while at sea. Sea days spent on a balcony are so wonderful.

I believe it depends on your itinerary. We were in suite C104

on the Diamond cruising down the Mexican Riviera a few years ago and were pleased with it. The seas were calm and we had no problems with the wind on our large balcony. It was beneath the bridge and overlooked the crew's pool area.

Good luck with whatever cabin you may choose.

May you have fair skies and calm seas for your cruise.

Thanks for something positive. could you tell me if they still locked the main part of the balcony on sea days even though was calm. ?

Delondin,

We were recently in a Family Suite on the Sapphire to Alaska. The cabin was the forward-most on the port side and the balcony was uncovered. We had a wonderful view to the front and to the side. It was occasionally windy on the balcony while at sea, but was just fine in port. Even though we were in Alaska, we did use the balcony fairly frequently. I absolutely loved this suite and the amenities that came with it. I would stay in it again without hesitation. Where will you be going on your cruise? A forward suite would be even better in a warmer climate!

Linda

DH and I had cabin, B101, on the Diamond on a Mexican Riv cruise. We were told by our cabin steward that the balcony could only be used when the ship was in port and it was to remain locked while the ship was under sail. Also, in the evenings, we were required to keep the blackout drapes closed so that the light from our cabin did not disturbed the bridge personnel.

That being said, the steward would forget to lock the door and so we would go outside sometimes while the ship was sailing. However, when we left Cabo San Lucas and headed North to Los Angeles, you could no longer use the balcony. This was due to huge wind tunnel that was created.

In other words, you might be able to use it and then again you might not. Ours was a free upgrade from an inside to a balcony, so we did not complain. I will say that the view was positively gorgeous.

Archived