When Cruise Price goes down

missymac

Hello. My husband and I have already booked a cruise for January 2009 (balcony, Category 8), and when/if the price goes down, do you end up canceling and having to rebook? :confused:

I thought that if the price goes down in that particular category, that you could either get the cheaper price or get an onboard credit.

Thanks

If you see a lower price talk to whoever booked your cruise (TA or cruise line). They should be able to get the lower price without rebooking, if you are eligible. Note that after final payment, most reductions are for new bookings only.

If you see a lower price talk to whoever booked your cruise (TA or cruise line). They should be able to get the lower price without rebooking, if you are eligible. Note that after final payment, most reductions are for new bookings only.

But they (Carnival) say that we will still get a balcony but no guarantee where it will be.

Thanks for responding

Sometimes GTY rooms are cheaper and the pricing for those is what you see when you see a price drop. If you switch to a GTY, you would lose whatever room assignment you have and will be placed wherever Carnival wants to put you (in the guaranteed category or above).

But they (Carnival) say that we will still get a balcony but no guarantee where it will be.

Thanks for responding

That is correct. A guaranteed cabin means that you will get a cabin in the category you purchased but you will not know where it is until you arrive at the port. You can get a cabin on the lowest level balcony cabins are and way at the back of the ship or get lucky and get a cabin that is completely mid-ship near elevators and stairs.

Thanks for responding

Getting back to your original question... its always possible that lower rates will be offered for a Category 8 (unsure of the ship) GTY, and if those rates do drop, then you should inquire with your TA or the cruiseline (whoever you booked with) about a rate reduction if applicable to your booking. Also, when booking any category as a guarantee, you will AT MINIMUM be provided that particuliar category stateroom or possibly a free upgrade (at the cruiselines discretion). After final payment has been made, still watch those rates for future promotions and you may be able to obtain some OBC as well !

The only negative to booking a guarantee is that you posssibly could end up in a stateroom location that is not what you hoped for... and could be near a noisy area of the ship either above or below you.... that is the risk of a Guarantee stateroom.....but if you are not concerned about the end location you are placed at and paid a lower fare than a specific stateroom would have cost, then the Guarantee is for you !

What ship are you sailing on ?

Getting back to your original question... its always possible that lower rates will be offered for a Category 8 (unsure of the ship) GTY, and if those rates do drop, then you should inquire with your TA or the cruiseline (whoever you booked with) about a rate reduction if applicable to your booking. Also, when booking any category as a guarantee, you will AT MINIMUM be provided that particuliar category stateroom or possibly a free upgrade (at the cruiselines discretion). After final payment has been made, still watch those rates for future promotions and you may be able to obtain some OBC as well !

The only negative to booking a guarantee is that you posssibly could end up in a stateroom location that is not what you hoped for... and could be near a noisy area of the ship either above or below you.... that is the risk of a Guarantee stateroom.....but if you are not concerned about the end location you are placed at and paid a lower fare than a specific stateroom would have cost, then the Guarantee is for you !

What ship are you sailing on ?

Thanks everyone for responding. We'll be on the Carnival Destiny early next year. I am just hopeful we can get Onboard Credit if the price drops... that can always help w/drinks and other goodies.

I just received an email from an internet TA talking about price drop policies and it stated that Carnival (and all of it's lines) no longer match price-drops. Is this accurate? I've never had a problem before, but it's been a year since I've called to have it done on Carnival.

I just received an email from an internet TA talking about price drop policies and it stated that Carnival (and all of it's lines) no longer match price-drops. Is this accurate? I've never had a problem before, but it's been a year since I've called to have it done on Carnival.

This email was posted on the Carnival threads. No one seems to have any knowledge of this policy, except that that TA is bad about giving price drops. Carnival has been saying things like ok only one price drop after final payment, but if you push then they will give the next one it seems. If its a policy, then Carnival agents have not been using it.

Archived