United Airlines Minimum Stays to be Required

Thankfully it won't affect cruising because we spend one night at our destination.

Starting Oct. 6, most of United's economy-class fares will require a one- to three-night or weekend-night minimum stay, spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said. The policy does not apply to fliers in other classes. The new rules are bound to be unpopular with business travelers who prefer to catch a flight out early in the morning so they can be back home in time for dinner.

Quote from the article, it's not because of luggage......

Major carriers scrapped most minimum-stay rules — put in place largely to discourage big-budget corporate travelers from snatching up the cheapest seats — at the start of the decade, although United and other airlines recently started bringing the overnight rules back piecemeal.

This is getting ridiculous.

Though it doesn't affect me because I am mostly a first-class flier, I still think this is counterproductive as most business travelers already pay a premium for their tickets because travel is booked last-minute. Companies that don't have the luxury of sending all their travelers first- or business-class will have to add the extra costs of housing their employees at their destinations. With business costs rising, I predict a drop in business travelers on United.

Could this be so that you have to take luggage with you and then have to pay their checked luggage fees?

Certainly you jest...luggae for a one night stay? I used to do 2 nights with my laptop and a carry on the size of a camera bag.

I think they are just trying to cull business travelers who book well in advance for best fares pushing them to pay more to round trip it. If the more is less than a one night hotel stay it is a win for United in terms of better ticket revenue.

Get a private jet come and go as you please. Of course fueling her up costs a bit more...:D

Since 3 out of 4 United flights that I've taken have been problem-ridden, I will NOT fly United unless I absolutely have no other choice. They are the worst! (IMO, American is the next worse!)

I understand that costs have risen and they can't operate by losing money, but if things continue getting more absurd, then how will they operate with no passengers?

I tell ya - I booked our flights on JetBlue literally days before all these new policies took place - luggage fees etc. I don't think we'll be flying anywhere on any other vacation. We do a lot of motorcycle touring, will be doing more of that - and for cruising if the port isn't within say 8 hrs drive time - we won't be going.

Certainly you jest...luggae for a one night stay? I used to do 2 nights with my laptop and a carry on the size of a camera bag.

I think they are just trying to cull business travelers who book well in advance for best fares pushing them to pay more to round trip it. If the more is less than a one night hotel stay it is a win for United in terms of better ticket revenue.

Get a private jet come and go as you please. Of course fueling her up costs a bit more...:D

Well maybe I jest a little.:D

However, you are a guy and can get away with a camera size bag for 2 nights. Not the same with me. But I am surely going to learn how to go on a cruise and not have those "take this just in case I want it" extras and pack less shoes. I should be able to downsize shoes to 8 pairs.

Quote from the article, it's not because of luggage......

Major carriers scrapped most minimum-stay rules — put in place largely to discourage big-budget corporate travelers from snatching up the cheapest seats — at the start of the decade, although United and other airlines recently started bringing the overnight rules back piecemeal.

United Airlines is no longer the friendly skys - Thats obvious. But I can see the major corporations basically saying to their employees - thou shalt not fly United. One would think they are biting the hand that feeds it. If the average person travels 1-2 time a year for pleasure and Joe Sales executive travels every week - there is potentialy 104 flights ( 52 Rt a year) that won't be taken on United.

What the heck? How can an airline make you stay somewhere longer? SOUNDS RIDICULOUS!

They aren't making you stay. They are putting a restriction on the cheapest tickets that require a minimum stay if you want the lowest fares. Up until 2000, this rule had been in effect for 30 years, at least. The legacy carriers did away with the minimum stay rule to complete with the young upstarts like JetBlue, Southwest, AirTran and others who had no minimum stay requirement.

If you can't stay over the minimum, you'll pay a higher ticket price. The cheapest fares won't be available to you.

Heck, with all these fees and changes.. it will end up being cheaper to take a transatlantic to Europe.. and then back again! May take more vacation time, but at least your luggage won't get lost!

As long as your flight to Europe doesn't involve Heathrow T5 your bags should be OK! Avoid that at all costs!;)

United Airlines is no longer the friendly skys - Thats obvious. But I can see the major corporations basically saying to their employees - thou shalt not fly United. One would think they are biting the hand that feeds it. If the average person travels 1-2 time a year for pleasure and Joe Sales executive travels every week - there is potentialy 104 flights ( 52 Rt a year) that won't be taken on United.
Since they aren't allowed to sit down and mutually agree on prices/policies, this is how it works in the airline industry - one airline does something, the other airlines either follow suit or they don't. If they don't, the original airline drops it.

By October either most (or all) major carriers will have similar policies or United will be dropping theirs.

HA!

Good ol UNITED lost over 200 bags YESTERDAY

on 14 flights out of DEN (Denver).

That news bit made the morning newspapers today.

For our NEXT to cruise to Europe, I paid EXTRA just to avoid

flying them to BCN. (Barcelona Spain)

Since 3 out of 4 United flights that I've taken have been problem-ridden, I will NOT fly United unless I absolutely have no other choice. They are the worst! (IMO, American is the next worse!)

You must have never flown USeless Air, I mean U.S. Air, with a stop in Philadelphia...

It hasn't been that long since Saturday night stays were required for the cheapest tickets. Has it?:o

If memory serves, it was USAir who first did away with the Saturday night stay thingie right before Thanksgiving travel period in 2000....could have been 2001....

I've been retired from the travel industry for 2 years...so don't keep up with that stuff anymore.. After 32 years of giving a dam what the airlines did or do, I simply don't care except when it applies to me and mine....HA!!:p

Ok,I just have to interject here, because, I, um, may, quite possibly, work for the airline in question. And, as a previous poster stated, this is NOT a new policy, just one that has been reinstated. Instead of being able to qualify for the lowest fair (i.e. $200 for ord to fll), people doing same day round trip will need to pay the higher fare ($245). Airlines institute different policies all the time ; i.e. charge for baggage ( which i do NOT like) , make you purchase two seats if you are "overweight" (which i believe is southwest?). Some of these policies catch on, some do not.

I'm surprised this thread has so many responses, this policy seems to affect the majority of cruisers least of all!! (Thank Goodness!) :)

I know that the airlines are doing everything possible to stay in business and fight off high fuel prices but it just seems that they keep doing so many things lately to alienate their customers. I know that if it's possible, I will drive rather than fly which is what I will be doing in November for my next cruise. It's about a ten hour drive tops but it beats having to deal with airports, extra baggage fees, etc. It's not fun to fly anymore. :confused:

Since they aren't allowed to sit down and mutually agree on prices/policies, this is how it works in the airline industry - one airline does something, the other airlines either follow suit or they don't. If they don't, the original airline drops it.

By October either most (or all) major carriers will have similar policies or United will be dropping theirs.

I wonder if this is price fixing or at least colusion?

"United Airlines said Friday it will start requiring minimum stays for nearly all domestic flights beginning in October. It is also raising its cheapest fares by as much as $90 one-way."

Maybe they mean the time you have to stay in the aircraft.;)

Archived