Are travel irons not allowed?

Jane T

I thought I read that on HAL there are no irons in the room. Now I just read that Carnival doesn't allow you to pack an iron. What's the deal? I'm traveling on HAL on July 20th, will I have wrinkled clothes the whole time??? :(

1. Irons are a fire hazard. A fire is the biggest risk to a ship at sea.

2. Try Downey wrinkle release.

3. Try the ship's pressing service.

4. It's Alaska. No one cares if your clothes are wrinkled. :rolleyes: :D

I thought I read that on HAL there are no irons in the room. Now I just read that Carnival doesn't allow you to pack an iron. What's the deal? I'm traveling on HAL on July 20th, will I have wrinkled clothes the whole time??? :(
The answer to your question

Are travel irons not allowed? is yes. They are not allowed.

In addition to GMoney's suggestions, a number of board members have said that rolling the clothing prevents wrinkles and takes less space. Sailors have been doing it for generations.:)

Charlie

To my knowledge no cruise lines permit irons of any type onboard. Cruise lines have been known to confiscate them if detected in the x-raying of your luggage. You will find that because of the humidity you clothes will likely hang out and if not you can send them out to be pressed, it is fairly inexpensive.

• Administrators

Several HAL ships have self-serve laundry rooms that include an iron and ironing board, so perhaps your ship will be one of them. Otherwise, a pressing service is available for a couple of dollars per piece. Since it's Alaska, most of your daytime wear will probably be jeans and fleece anyway, and for evening if you select your materials carefully, and pack carefully, you really can minimize wrinkling. For formal nights I took my floor length jersey skirt, along with a rayon/spandex blend sparkly tank and jacket -- smooshed into a space bag. When I unpacked I shook them out and they looked fine, due to the material. SO's tux we put in a dry cleaning bag and folded it in the suitcase around some other rolled-up clothes -- that one we figured we'd need to have pressed, but we didn't. It looked fine when he unpacked, and many veteran packers swear by the dry cleaning bag method.

Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks for all the information everyone. I looked carefully through my cruise documents and see that irons are a no-no , but unfortunately our ship (Westerdam) does not have a passenger ironing area. Does everyone really wear jeans during the day? We're going July 20 -27 and I was planning on taking a pair, but not wearing them that much. How about at night on the ship: as one person said it was warm enough to wear short sleeves. Is that true? Obviously I am used to cruising the carribbean and have never taken jeans on a cruise.

Thanks for all the information everyone. I looked carefully through my cruise documents and see that irons are a no-no , but unfortunately our ship (Westerdam) does not have a passenger ironing area. Does everyone really wear jeans during the day? We're going July 20 -27 and I was planning on taking a pair, but not wearing them that much. How about at night on the ship: as one person said it was warm enough to wear short sleeves. Is that true? Obviously I am used to cruising the carribbean and have never taken jeans on a cruise.

Are you planning on taking excursions while in port? Even if you aren't doing the very athletic (kayaking, etc.) excursions, you'll find that everyone is very casual. Everyone will wear very casual clothes all day and will only change for dinner (if they change - but that's a whole other thread!). If not jeans, you'll need other very casual long pants.

I have taken my travel steamer on everyone of my last three cruises and it works really well. I put it in my checked luggage and keep it out in full view in my cabin. I have not had any problems at all. I don't like the wrinkle release stuff. That's just my view.

I have taken my travel steamer on everyone of my last three cruises and it works really well. I put it in my checked luggage and keep it out in full view in my cabin. I have not had any problems at all.

A travel steamer is allowed. A travel iron is not allowed. There is a difference.

They don't allow travel irons but I have taken one many times on cruises and it was never confiscated or commented on. I have stopped taking it because a steamer does just as well so I have been taking it instead.`So I suggest taking a steamer so you won't be breaking any rules. It is okay though to take matches and cigarettes which have actually caused fires. Go figure.....

Well I have to say duh to me because I have taken a travel iron for many years on my cruises and never knew it wasn't allowed. No one ever said a thing to me about it and it was out in the room in full view also. That being said I certainly will not take it anymore if you are not allowed. As for wearing jeans or pants mostly, I have been to Alaska twice, both times in early and mid August and the weather was so beautiful that we all wore shorts and occasionally capri pants. I guess we were very fortunate as I have read many people on CC have been. We are going again on August 22nd, the whole family and taking my grandaughter so I hope and pray we will be blessed again with great weather. Good Luck on the weather during you vacation.

It's mostly polar fleece and jeans on this cruise....no iron necessary!

Steamer irons do work well. I've also used my hair straightening iron (curling iron probably works too) to get rid of minor clothes wrinkles. Sometimes just hanging the clothes in the bathroom while you take a shower steams out the wrinkles.

Unlimited pressing is only 30 dollars for the whole week (package)... When you get on, send all you pressing to the laundry and you will save yourself any worry about irons/steamers etc...

:D :D :D

Well I have to say duh to me because I have taken a travel iron for many years on my cruises and never knew it wasn't allowed. No one ever said a thing to me about it and it was out in the room in full view also. That being said I certainly will not take it anymore if you are not allowed. As for wearing jeans or pants mostly, I have been to Alaska twice, both times in early and mid August and the weather was so beautiful that we all wore shorts and occasionally capri pants. I guess we were very fortunate as I have read many people on CC have been. We are going again on August 22nd, the whole family and taking my grandaughter so I hope and pray we will be blessed again with great weather. Good Luck on the weather during you vacation.

We were in the same boat. Before we started cruising we always packed a travel iron for trips in the States or Europe. Never thought a thing about it.

We also packed the triavel iron on our cruises before we found Cruise Critic. We really didn't wade through all of the fine print in the cruise documents.

Since then we've ditched the iron and haven't really had a problem. Proper packing, wrinkle release, self service laundry (on some ships) and ships laundry have taken care of all of our needs.

Charlie

Archived