Back from the dark side

Roboat

I have been over to the dark side for a couple of years, but have just booked our annual cruise with HAL on the Westerdam Nov 16. We cruised the Zuiderdam twice earlier, and really enjoyed her.

So nice to see the familiar names! - RevNeal, Ruth, Krazy Kruiser, Kryos, Sail7Seas,etc. - all still answering questions and offering advice.

So - what's the latest?

Did y'all get that "jeans in the dining room" thing straightened out?

I see rumors about doing away with formal nights.

And has a consensus been reached on tipping?

;-)

But seriously - some things I desperately need to know:

do they still serve popcorn at the afternoon movie?

And can you get a hot breakfast through room service?

And what's wrong with cabin 5131 on Westerdam?? For 11/16/2008, at least, it was relatively cheap. (5135 is, too, but looks onto neighbor's verandah.)

Anyways, thanks, HAL CC folks, for all your help in the past, and in the future. :)

Roboat

Welcome back Roboat: Good to see you. Yes, all of us "oldtimers" are still here and posting away.

Yes, still free popcorn at the movies. Still free room service with a great hot breakfast. Can't tell you about the Westerdam as we don't "do"a the Vistas.

Hi, Roboat. Thanks for the honorable mention. :) Welcome back to this side.

I can attest that full, hot room service breakfast is still available, and as delicious as ever. It's perfect for disembarkation morning---so civilized.

Popcorn is also still around, but it's not popped right in front of you in that cute machine anymore. Still good enough to grab a bag or three to take back to the cabin for emergencies, though. ;)

The dress code wars will last longer than the 100 Years War at this rate. The "negotiations" about smoking and children are still ongoing.

Tipping is another frequent topic of discussion.

In other words---same ol', same ol'. You'll feel like you never went away.

RuthC. Ahhh - great news. Thanks.

Hi Kakalina! Thanks for the info!

So it's still smoking, tipping, and the dress code. That's comforting.

So my next question:

On formal night, at the PG, if my 5-year-old niece is wearing a coat, tie, and jeans while smoking, and flings a filet at me, knocking over the wine, how much should I tip the Maitre D' to duct tape her to the chair (if I remove autotip) or is that included in the $20 surcharge? How do others handle this?

Just kidding, of course. Nice to be back.

Roboat

Welcome back!!

Yeah - duct tape can be used for everything - including your niece. :D

$20 - no tip included in that for the Pinnacle -- you are on your own here. Tip what you think is best (guess it all depends on how much your niece destroys -- there is some pretty pricey stuff there. :D )

So my next question:

On formal night, at the PG, if my 5-year-old niece is wearing a coat, tie, and jeans while smoking, and flings a filet at me, knocking over the wine, how much should I tip the Maitre D' to duct tape her to the chair (if I remove autotip) or is that included in the $20 surcharge? How do others handle this?

I would never tip the Maitre D to duct tape a child to the chair

It's something I enjoy doing myself :)

That would depend - are you providing your own duct tape? ;) Welcome back.

So my next question:

hee hee:D good post! I really think it is included in the surcharge though. If not, it should be:D

Hey... what if your neice is on YOUR own balcony smoking? Is this still allowed on HAL, or would you have to put her out?

Hey... we are cruising on the Westerdam on 12/14, so let's plan a place where you can hide the duct tape for me. The ship looks great! I have been on the Zuiderdam also, loved it... this one looks fantastic too.

So many hilarious responses. :) (babyher, I spit coffee on my keyboard reading yours. I love it when that happens.)

Sail7Seas, I was off gallavanting around with OCL's! (other cruise lines) But I have seen the error of my ways. Sure, Princess was cute, RCI was curvy, and Carnival, a local, gave me veteran's discount (!), but NONE of them have what Holland does: popcorn. Well, and a few other "special touches."

;)

Plus, Holland's logo represents her respect for the elderly. (I am 61, but have been elderly since I was about 40.) See the logo in Sail7Seas signature? The HAL ship has come dead in the water (no bow wake) as she yields to the elderly slow vessel under sail, even though the HAL ship is well within her rights to stand on due to limited maneuverability.

So many hilarious responses. :) (babyher, I spit coffee on my keyboard reading yours. I love it when that happens.)

Sail7Seas, I was off gallavanting around with OCL's! (other cruise lines) But I have seen the error of my ways. Sure, Princess was cute, RCI was curvy, and Carnival, a local, gave me veteran's discount (!), but NONE of them have what Holland does: popcorn. Well, and a few other "special touches."

;)

Plus, Holland's logo represents her respect for the elderly. (I am 61, but have been elderly since I was about 40.) See the logo in Sail7Seas signature? The HAL ship has come dead in the water (no bow wake) as she yields to the elderly slow vessel under sail, even though the HAL ship is well within her rights to stand on due to limited maneuverability.

Boy you have been away a while.

That older sailing vessel in front of the HAL ship in the logo is the prisoner transport ship. Its usually filled with booze smugglers, dress code violaters violaters, and longe chair hogs. :) Its called the Rebeldam *LOL*

Welcome back :)

looking forward to more of your great posts and humor

I know we're not supposed to criticize speling and grammer here, but:

1) It's dinning room, not dining room.

2) Stewarts, not stewards

3) 5-year-old niece ... yeah ... pervert; hit on someone legal.

Hey, TomC! OK, OK, the "niece" is actually my Pomeranian, but she usually passes just fine with the right makeup. Last year, the Maitre D' tried to sell her in the Art Auction!

babyher, lol!

hylasgirl, so you're close to your Russian / Scandinavian cruise on X! Wow!! Yeah, we're looking forward to the Westerdam, having enjoyed the Zuiderdam so much. I'll leave the duct tape in the drawer.

Roboat,

I like your style, I haven't laughed so much in ages!!! Will she be wanting a Cabana this niece of yours? Makes me realise that we do go round in circles and need to take stock sometimes.

We loved Westerdam last summer and are back on zuierdam [sp] next month. Next year we are going to get a good look at the Cabanas on the Euro [a look is all mind].

happy cruising,Teresa

Boy you have been away a while.

That older sailing vessel in front of the HAL ship in the logo is the prisoner transport ship. Its usually filled with booze smugglers, dress code violaters violaters, and longe chair hogs. :) Its called the Rebeldam *LOL*

Welcome back :)

looking forward to more of your great posts and humor

hee heelaughingsmiley.gif That is the ship I am booking NEXT!!! hee hee of course we can make the chair hogs walk the plank... definitely keep the booze smugglers though, they could be useful.

Roboat... yep, I am almost out of here! A little stressed with last minute things. We actually leave in 13 days. A week in Paris prior, so we are going a little crazy around here. We can't wait though!

tomc... hee hee... the dining room thing makes me giggle!

I know we're not supposed to criticize speling and grammer here, but:

1) It's dinning room, not dining room.

2) Stewarts, not stewards

this is a joke?? or are you serious??

because if you ARE serious, then o'boy are you mixed up.;)

this is a joke?? or are you serious??

because if you ARE serious, then o'boy are you mixed up.;)

Haven't read many of tomc's posts have you? He's NEVER serious, except seriously funny! :)

Hey -- Ted Williams hit only four balls out of ten and he was one of the greatest batters ever.

It was in response to Roboat's post #4.

Ok, so I haven't done much comedy writing for a little while, here or elsewhere. Getting rusty.

RuthC-- No problem; you critique honestly.

Archived