Chocoholic's Buffet??

gail t

• 2 weeks later...

I have only sailed with HAL, but on all the ships they have had the chocolate buffet. It seems like almost all ships do. I personally think it looked better than it tasted. I like good chocolate. Their chocolate is always waxy and I don't actually enjoy eating it! I go just to see the buffet, it is beautiful!!! Good luck, and I hope you get to enjoy a chocolate buffet! We are going on HAL Maasdam in 12 days, wish me luck, maybe the chocolate will be better!:)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

November 2004 Me and DH cruised on Grandeur of the Seas. Late one night we were headed back to our room and stumbled onto a GREAT buffet of Chocolate goodies. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

What was another 3000 calories at that point, right? It was great. We are cruising the Rhapsody in the winter and hope to indulge again.

I've been on 3 different NCL ships and they have all had the chocolate buffet. My biggest disappointment was that on the Star it was at midnight. Would someone please explain the reason for THAT?! All these people eating large amounts of sugar at midnight?!

Anyway, it's really a sight to see, so even if you don't like chocolate, I would recommend going, just to see the works of art.

On the Spirit this past September, they had a viewing 1 hour ahead of time so that people could get pictures before everything was demolished. They put on a beautiful display of every imaginable piece or type of chocolate out there!

One thing I always look for is the chocolate covered bananas - I love them! You only get a tiny plate to work with, so you have to be creative if you want to get a lot onto your plate. We always took some back to the room for consumption at a later time.

And for those with diabetes - don't despair! There are some sugar free options as well that are just as beautiful and as tasty as the other stuff!

You might try inquiring on the cruiseline's board. HAL has what they call a "dessert extravaganza", with lots of chocolate and other goodies, all beautifully arranged. It's more a feast for the eyes than the tummy - I tasted a few things, but didn't think they were anything special. It was by far the most well-attended midnight buffet.

The chocolate buffet on my recent triumph cruise was a huge disappointment. It was at the lunch buffet on the last sea day. I think there were 4 different types of cake, pieces of chocolate and chocolate ice cream in a swan cookie shell. The staff was there handing out the cake in very small pieces.

To me, a chocolate lover, when I think chocolate buffet, I want like 20 options and a free for all ;)

• 3 weeks later...

On the Carnival Conquest in August of 2005 they had a very nice arrangement of chocolates. However I was alittle disapponted. I was truly looking forward to chocolate covered strawberries:( . No strawberries were ever found. The rest of the desserts were very tasty.:D

Does The Adventure of the Seas offer a chocolate buffet? If so which night will it be offered on the Eastern Caribbean itenerary?:)

Chocolate is great and wanting to see good production in it should not be an unexpected event.. but alas in most Ships we have taken voyages on the Chocolate Buffet is a poor dream in anyones imagination even...

Even on ships that tout the culinary skills too.. WHY? If they say how good they are..tehn as the English say the ( Proof is in the Pudding... ) in this case the Chocolate..

That way if a Cruise line does a Magnificent job of showing there Culinary skills not just saying them ..people will rave about it like in anything else and then flock to the Shiops that provide the Best ..

The Swiss method of Chocolate in Milk Chocolate is wonderful and uses less Cocoa for Chocolate.. so the costs are lower too.. LINDT is a perfect example of good quality... have you tried theres?

In medicine too Chocolate helps relieve some signs of ..stress is a nice word .. that people do get aboard ships.. providing good quality Chocolate especially at a Chocolate Buffet too would benefit the Ships too... (\:)/)

The Paradise does not have the chocolate buffet. The Conquest-class has them for sure, not sure about the others.

I was on the Paradise and they had a minute Chocolate Buffet but that was a couple of years ago so it could have changed

NCL had a great chocolate buffet with several dark/bittersweet chocolate items that really taste like good strong chocolate.

Some of the other lines I did had beautiful chocolate displays but the taste was disappointing. I'd rather eat a little really good chocolate than get mountains of chocolate colored things that don't taste strongly of chocolate.

• 1 month later...

well our experience has been that the chocolate buffets are nicer to look at than eat :p ...we both love chocolate and to be honest ( and I am not real fussy either, hersheys is great ) but the quality of the chocolate they use especially for the choc buffet is not all that great.....the best for some reason are the chocolate desserts in the formal dining rooms.....but try it and see for yourself and have a great cruise...if you can get chocolate mousse or the chocolate bread pudding it's the best on NCL anyways :)

I am a Chocoholic and if it isn`t dark chocolate then I`m not really interested, so I guess you could say I am picky about what I like in choclate desserts. I have to go along with the previous comments which warn you of over filled plates which no one (even me) could possibly consume. I have vowed to be very selective at my next choclate buffet. So much of it looks good but that`s as far as it goes.

The best chocolate dessert I have had on a cruise was the last night of a RCL Alaska cruise. It was a brownie and it was truely to die for. After the first bite I said "I am going to have to have a second one" but there was no way I could do it, one was more than enough.

We found the food on RCL and Celebrity was better than NCL but then I am not as worried about gaining as much weight, so I guess that is the up side!

Isn't it great how some lines have added the chocolate buffet? It started out as one of the 'claims to fame' for NCL but it does seem to have spread around the industry! Not that there isn't enough food on any cruise ship but still, how fantastic is a skewer of fresh fruit and a fountain of chocolate?

• 3 weeks later...

If you're a true chocoholic check out chocosphere.com, particularly Amedei's "Chuao" and "9" and Domori's "Porcelena" and "Puertomar". You'll never touch Hershey's or Dove again.

I am a Chocoholic and if it isn`t dark chocolate then I`m not really interested, so I guess you could say I am picky about what I like in choclate desserts. I have to go along with the previous comments which warn you of over filled plates which no one (even me) could possibly consume. I have vowed to be very selective at my next choclate buffet. So much of it looks good but that`s as far as it goes.

The best chocolate dessert I have had on a cruise was the last night of a RCL Alaska cruise. It was a brownie and it was truely to die for. After the first bite I said "I am going to have to have a second one" but there was no way I could do it, one was more than enough.

We found the food on RCL and Celebrity was better than NCL but then I am not as worried about gaining as much weight, so I guess that is the up side!

• 4 weeks later...
this is amazing!!! Does Carnival GLory have the chocolate buffet? I have not had the experience of a whole buffet of chocolate before, I would LOVE to see this, pics anyone?

Yes they do , I'm not sure what day you go out on, but ours was on Friday, the day before we got back to port, it was in the afternoon, you have to be careful not to miss it if you have a port that day. It was awesome. They also had a midnight buffet, with ice sculptures and WONDERFUL food, that was on Wednesday night.

Archived