Royal or Grand?

jpg1747

I'm looking at a 12 day Eastern Med cruise for November 2009. For the time I want I have a choice between the Royal or the Grand. The intineraries are similar and either one will do, so my choice is basically between the ships. The Grand will price out to be about $1000 cheaper when everything is included. I've been on both large and small ships before, but I haven't cruised in the Med before. Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

I'm looking at a 12 day Eastern Med cruise for November 2009. For the time I want I have a choice between the Royal or the Grand. The intineraries are similar and either one will do, so my choice is basically between the ships. The Grand will price out to be about $1000 cheaper when everything is included. I've been on both large and small ships before, but I haven't cruised in the Med before. Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

I like the little ship for lengthy cruises and the big one for having more activities. If you like personal choice dining, then definitely the Grand; Royal doesn't have it. The Med is very port intensive, so save the $$$, go with the Grand and save the smaller ship for a cruise that has more sea days.

Pia

I have an opposite opinion. :) Unless you've booked a mini-suite or suite, the cabins on the Royal are much nicer. Yes, the bathroom is small but you'll also have a small couch and table in addition to the desk.

The two ships are very, very different, not just in size. There's a difference in ambiance and the Royal is much more elegant. With a port-intensive cruise, I would always go with the smaller ship.

RoyalCabin1.jpg.7d9e873de3fe22789d20cde04f60b35f.jpg

RoyalCabin2.jpg.05223b1bdcf32a5780a6de1264868702.jpg

I agree with Pam on this question. On a port intensive cruise I like having a larger cabin because I will be off the ship during the day and in the room most evenings "resting" for the next day's excursion. With lots of sea days I would opt for the larger ship as there would be many activities on board.

I agree with Pam. We did the Royal's port intensive Med cruise. We thought that the smaller, friendlier ship had superior food and service to the larger Princess ships, and as Pam says the balcony rooms are nicer (but no large Caribe deck balconies or mini-suites on the Royal). On the other hand, the Royal's entertainment and shipboard activities were nowhere near the same as on the larger ships (as Pia says), and most of it was skewed towards the 65+ set, but since you spend relatively little time on the ship it doesn't matter that much.

I'd go nuts on the Royal on a trip with lots of sea days, but it was perfect for the Med.

Les

Another vote for the smaller ship! On such a port-intensive cruise, you'll really enjoy the ease of disembarkation from a much smaller ship -- only 600 other people to navigate around instead of 2,600. And when all of you hit town, it won't seem quite as much of an invasion.

Another vote for the smaller ship! On such a port-intensive cruise, you'll really enjoy the ease of disembarkation from a much smaller ship -- only 600 other people to navigate around instead of 2,600. And when all of you hit town, it won't seem quite as much of an invasion.
That's so very true.

Especially if you're going to Santorini! The only way up to the town (unless you're on a ship's excursion which, IMO, is not worth it on this island - you do fine on your own) is via a donkey trail or a cable car. You can get HUGE lines with a larger ship.

I really enjoyed my med cruise on the Royal.

I've been on Royal's not identical sisters, Pacific Princess, Oceania's Regatta, and Oceania's Nautica, and much prefer the smaller ships.

I am not a fan of the behemoths.

And that's why we have so many choices, Michael. :) We spent 84 days on the Pacific and are scheduled for 28 days more in March of next year. However, being a fan of PC dining makes us look for the larger ship when booking a Princess cruise.

Pia

I agree with Pam. We did the Royal's port intensive Med cruise. We thought that the smaller, friendlier ship had superior food and service to the larger Princess ships, and as Pam says the balcony rooms are nicer (but no large Caribe deck balconies or mini-suites on the Royal). On the other hand, the Royal's entertainment and shipboard activities were nowhere near the same as on the larger ships (as Pia says), and most of it was skewed towards the 65+ set, but since you spend relatively little time on the ship it doesn't matter that much.

I'd go nuts on the Royal on a trip with lots of sea days, but it was perfect for the Med.

Les

Especially if you're going to Santorini! The only way up to the town (unless you're on a ship's excursion which, IMO, is not worth it on this island - you do fine on your own) is via a donkey trail or a cable car. You can get HUGE lines with a larger ship.

I really enjoyed my med cruise on the Royal.

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cruised on the Royal last year on a 12 day Med cruise and it was excellent. I had previously been on that ship when she was Minerva II so I new what to expect with regard to ship lay out and cabin size etc. The advantage of a smaller ship are that it can get it to the smaller more unusual ports, friendlier atmosphere on board as you see the same faces around the ship and can get to know people. The entertainment is not as lavish as on a larger ship but when the sun is shining and its a port intensive itinerary the entertainment is not so important.

Archived