RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Thanks for your reports, Rev! Forgive me if you've already answered this but, are drinks still served in the main show lounge? Seems like it would be difficult for the servers to get down the rows. Do the arm rests in the main lounge flip up to make seats more comfortable?

Thanks,

the "other" Sheila

The current Noordam show schedule times are do to the request from the people who chartered it for seven day cruises. I believe that it will go back to the normal show times of 8 & 10 when the 10 day schedule resumes later this month.

We love David Balducci in the piano bar. He was on the Oosterdam and is currently on the Noordam. He is very talented, and the place really hops when he is at the piano.

We are on the Noordam in August, so I look forward to listening to Jimmy Maddox. We haven't heard him yet.

I am so enjoying your live posts from the Eurodam. I have an online blog on which I record my travel diary & photos. I typically spend 3-4 hrs. DAILY typing, transferring & editing photos from the camera, & finally uploading (SLOWLY) onto the internet. It is a costly (internet time) & time consuming effort. My family & friends enjoy it; & encourage me to keep it going.

So, I want to say to you, I understand the "labor of love" that you have undertaken & the time it takes from your day. Thank you for allowing us to come along on your journey.

Greg - thanks for all the great info! Can't wait to hear about your Tamarind and Canelleto experiences!

Any chance I could beg for a photo or two of your cabin? I am staying in one almost identical in Novemebr and would love to know how it's arranged and how "partial" the obstruction really is

Many thanks - Scott

Well, Harve and I are just about all packed. As usual I am taking enough for an around the world - but so be it!

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts and can't wait to meet you all next week. We have one night in Copenhagen before boarding on the 15th.

See you all soon.......................:D

European Cruising is VERY different from cruising in the Caribbean or in South America or anywhere else I've been before ... it's very port intensive. This is what I've long been told, and boy howdy is it ever true! I'm sorry it's been so long since I lat posted, but we've been so busy doing shore excursions, etc., and having a wonderfully good time that I just haven't been able to sequester myself for long enough to write up a report like I had wanted to. I plan on doing so on our next sea day -- the last day of this cruise -- but that really is later than I had wanted. SO ... allow me to say the following now so-as to end the suspense:

Adele -- yes, the same Adele (longtimecruiser) who's toilet exploded with sewage several days back, was showering the other day when the entire shower hose and nozzle assembly came loose from the wall and landed on the deck. Yes, MID-shower. It was bad news. She called and let the front desk know that they needed to send someone to fix it and the response was "we'll put in work order." Her reply was: "not work order ... send someone to fix it now." "Work order to tighten shower head." "No ... send someone to fix shower ... nozzle and hose fallen off wall onto floor."

Yes, they got it fixed.

That afternoon, on a shore excursion, she slipped and fell and got a black eye. The swelling has gone down and it no longer hurts her, but for a while there it looked like she had gotten into a fight with Emily or Scotty or someone ... even makeup didn't help that much.

Fast Report on the Canaletto:

The food was certainly very good. The entrees were fabulous, the salad acceptable (not great, but not bad), the soup was very good as was the antipasto. The service could have been better (the Eastern European waiters are as warm as the IRS) , and the is a bit of a problem with the menu changing every night; since you have to make your reservation a day or two in advance you just don't know what the selections are going to be until you get there. I saw several menu items I would have liked on prior nights, but the night I got there I just didn't care for much of it.

Additionally, I don't care for the setting, exposed the way it is there in the Lido. There's a small siding glass wall to help cut it off from the rest of the Lido, but it's hardly a barrier. It's not the best executed of Alternative Dining options, but it works.

Fast Report on the Tamarind:

FABULOUS. This is really a big hit. The lunch I've enjoyed there didn't prepare me for how good the food, service, and atmosphere would be in the evening. It blew me away. The warm welcomes from the staff was very inviting, the atmosphere of the restaurant is both warm and modern, upscale and relaxed. The presentation by the staff is top notch. The food exceeded my expectations. The Appetizer was superb (I had the Rib), the soup was hot and plentiful (I had the chicken soup), the plank filet steak was exquisitely done, perfect to my order (medium), with a fabulous sauce for dipping, and the chocolate filled fortune cookie dessert was both large and light. Overall, it's one of the better meals I've had at sea. HAL has really hit a home run with the Tamarind Restaurant.

I hope this tiny update helps a bit.

Yesterday we were in Newcastle Upon Tyne, England, where I visited the city of Durham and the lovely Cathedral. Today we were Queensferry, Scottyland, where we visited the historic city of Edinburgh and the massive Castle at towns pinnacle. Both were excellent ports and I enjoyed the tours there. Tomorrow we dock and Inverness where Bill S and his wife Virginia, Christopher and myself have a car booked to go see Nessie. :D

Among the pictures I want to process for posting will be:

Sample Shots of the Eurodam taken from sea

Sample Shots of the Norwegian Fjords

Sample Shots of Durham Cathedral

Sample Shots Edinburgh Castle

Sample Shots of your fellow CCers having fun aboard the Eurodam!!!!

But ... now ... after a fabulous night of dinner, conversation over drinks in the Crows Nest, and Dancing in the Northern Lights, I have a reservation with my pillow!

Blessings on all of you from the North Sea, just off the coast of Scotland (my ancestral home).

Rev Neal: Holland America should pay you to cruise and post on their line...

Have enjoyed your insights,,

My lovely bride of 40 years and I are scheduled for next March . Your commentary has our anticipation up and we have booked an SA for our special occasion.

Thanks for all of the posts. I know it is a lot of work. The info you are posting will be very helpful for my wife and I in November. Once again, Thanks. :)

BTW, how does the Eurodam compare to the Vista class ships in the way of passenger congestion? Is it still easy to walk around without tripping over a thousand people or has the new design congested the flow?

Thank you for all the posting .. and I have to agree cruising in Europe is indeed more port intensive and such interesting ports they are ..

Poor Adele .. I hope the rest of her cruise in uneventful ( well at least not negatively eventful)

Rev .. this is an awesome set of reports and I thank you for it !!!

I really appreciate your taking the time to post. Having been on port intensive cruises like this one I've not even had time to write my own journal or process my pictures. I'd love to do this itinerary someday!

Thanks for the report, Greg. I keep checking everytime I pass the computer!

It certainly is port intensive...and what wonderful ports they are. I have put this on my "must do" cruise list...for after we sell our inn!

Poor Adele...she's had a run of bad luck this cruise. They say things come in three's, so maybe her luck will improve.

Hello Greg,

Thank you for all the time you take to post to this thread. Just keep enjoying your cruise and ports and don't worry about posting. Just do it when you have the time. Glad to hear the dining room service is getting better. Have you had the same waiters throughout the cruise? if so, I'm sure they're learning about all your needs and desires, as far as meals are concerned.

..................Fast Report on the Tamarind:

FABULOUS. This is really a big hit. The lunch I've enjoyed there didn't prepare me for how good the food, service, and atmosphere would be in the evening. It blew me away. The warm welcomes from the staff was very inviting, the atmosphere of the restaurant is both warm and modern, upscale and relaxed. The presentation by the staff is top notch. The food exceeded my expectations. The Appetizer was superb (I had the Rib), the soup was hot and plentiful (I had the chicken soup), the plank filet steak was exquisitely done, perfect to my order (medium), with a fabulous sauce for dipping, and the chocolate filled fortune cookie dessert was both large and light. Overall, it's one of the better meals I've had at sea. HAL has really hit a home run with the Tamarind Restaurant.

Blessings on all of you from the North Sea, just off the coast of Scotland (my ancestral home).

First, poor Adele!!! None of that sounds in the least bit fun!!! Hope she's back to tip top by now.

Your report on the Tamarind is great news! And chocolate filled fortune cookies ..... YUM!!!:p That's my kind of fortune!

And Scotland being my ancestral home as well (not sure you and I ever discussed this!), I envy your proximity. I hope before my life is over, I'll be able to visit there.

Can't wait to see your pictures! And I'm so happy you're all having such a magnificent time:) .

BTW, how does the Eurodam compare to the Vista class ships in the way of passenger congestion? Is it still easy to walk around without tripping over a thousand people or has the new design congested the flow?

I tried to post a quick response to this, it turned long, and then I lost it -- wasting 10 minutes. So, you'll now get the short version:

The Eurodam absolutely feels more congested and more crowded than the Vistas. The dining rooms, the lounges, the passage ways, etc., all feel over-stuffed with people. This is true in the main dining room and it is true in the Lido and in the lounges. The Main Dining Room, especially, feels crammed, cramped, loud, and congested. It's hard to maneuver around in there; one feels shoved into too-small of space, and there are places that actually feel somewhat claustrophobic. I know that where we were sitting, on the aft-port side, it felt way too packed around us ... more-so than on the S and R ships and even more-so than on the Vistas.

In short, the Eurodam feels more crowded than the Vistas, and definitely more crowded than the S and Rs. For this reason, I may not be cruising on her again. I've learned to never say sever, so ... we'll see.

Photo Time!

The Eurodam cruises through the beautiful Norwegian Fjords in route for Flam (pronounced Flum). The Fjords are just amazingly beautiful, and we had lovely weather to go with the trip.

edam55.jpg

edam56.jpg

edam57.jpg

edam58.jpg

edam59.jpg

Archived